PDA

View Full Version : Low limit Omaha high vs. mostly fish

edwardo
02-13-2005, 12:31 PM
In a live low limit (4/8 and below) Omaha HIGH ONLY game against mostly fish used to Hold 'Em, I'm planning to play a solid, tight selection of hands, plan for the suckouts, and hope for the best. Does this strategy sound right, or would seeing more flops, and using my flop and post-flop skill to know when to dump, draw, or bet, be a better approach? I'm a successfull online PLO ring and tourney player, but I've never played Omaha live before, only HE.

Thanks for any opinions, especially from people who have played live limit Omaha high before.

Beavis68
02-13-2005, 03:18 PM
I played limit Omaha on party poker, and found it very frustrating. Couldn't find a way to consistantly beat it and avoid suck-outs, it was virtually impossible to protect a hand.

Phat Mack
02-13-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm planning to play a solid, tight selection of hands, plan for the suckouts, and hope for the best.

This sounds like a good plan. In low-limit Omaha, you may not be able to reduce the number of players by raising, so you'll have to show down nuttier hands. I wouldn't loosen up, at least until I had the lay of the land. Also, because of the nature of the game, middle spreads (9 8 7 5, etc.) go way down in value--unless it's an unusual game, you can't isolate big pairs with them and show down two-pair or a non-nut straight to drag it. I'd stick with higher cards. JMO

Mack

lighterjobs
02-13-2005, 10:02 PM
my suggestion would be to suggest a pl game (.50/1 maybe?) game to these people since i am assuming it is a home game. they probably won't know the difference and it will a much better game for you. limit omaha is an extinct game and you won't be able to comprehend all the bad beats these people will give you.

edwardo
02-13-2005, 11:10 PM
The game is in a B+M cardroom. I've played plenty of limit High Omaha, just not in a live setting against lots of fish, but I can imagine the beats will be often and bad. My question was basically posed to see if the general opinion was that tight play would be enough to be able to overcome the beats. My thoughts were that a timeline of several weeks may be necessary to ensure a high win rate against the fish/beats, which I won't have, unfortunately. I guess I'll just check it out and see how it goes.

Also, I doubt they'd spread PLO as they'd worry about the players going broke too quickly...no rake.

Thanks for the replies - any more appreciated.

stone_7
02-14-2005, 01:14 AM
My experience is limited to online only but it seems to me that you have the right strategy. In order to play limit Omaha you have to play the fundamentals. This means not worrying about "protecting your hand". The only way to protect your hand is to have the best hand. PERIOD! The only way to outplay fish in Omaha is to be patient and raise when you have a good hand/draw. You needn't be concerned with trapping people or representing a hand. When it looks good raise at will. In the 1/2 games on Party I have flopped 4 aces and had 4 players in all the way down to the end. Including a guy who reraised me and then 2 people who called 2 bets cold. I don't know if it will be this bad but I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Even though you will win only a few hands you will make a nice profit on the hands you do win. In 1/2 I regularly see pots of $40 or even $50. That is 25 big bets in a single pot that go to the guy who flopped the nut flush and was called by everyone with 2 pair. gettign paid off on the hands you hit makes all of the "bad beats" seem trivial.

lighterjobs
02-14-2005, 01:39 AM
i don't know anything about limit omaha, just know it's a frustrating game. if you are a limit player, you probably shouldn't have any problems. i've just heard it's a completly different game.

pokerkai
02-14-2005, 05:11 AM
B&M Limit Omaha is the action of all action games. Youll be seeing many family pot limpfests. The suck outs will be bad but when you do hit pots, their monstrous.

Play good starting hands, 4 cards that work together, and try to only draw to the nuts. Dont be afraid to pump your hand for value.

stripsqueez
02-14-2005, 05:56 AM
limit omaha hi is reasonably popular in Oz so i've played it a lot - i think when you have decent position you can call with some sub par hands - as long as they have a very clear path to the best hand - ie overlimping 4 guys with QQ and out 2 off the button would be ok

post flop is easy - dont draw unless its to the best hand

omaha is a great game for getting beat on the end - this should excite a good player because it thrills chooks

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

pergesu
02-14-2005, 07:21 AM
Playing Omaha against a bunch of fish is easy. Just play tighter than anyone else. Really, in a game as easy as you're making it out to be, the tightest player will win the most. Play solid starting hands, and only continue when you've got a strong draw. Don't get cute with hands - there'll be plenty of times when your opponents are more than happy to draw nearly dead.