PDA

View Full Version : Steps... are they worth it?

stillmatic
02-13-2005, 10:20 AM
wanted to get an ideas of what posters think of the steps. are they worth the time i.e profitabe?

Also what is the best step to buy in, ive bought into the 10's and made it up to the 200 buyin, but nothing more. I really want to do more of them but it seems like a lot of time and effort to win.

any success stories?

mangarata
02-13-2005, 10:32 AM
I agree with you that they are time consuming. I think you're best bet is to multi table the first steps and try to build up your higher level buy ins and play them one at a time. Break up your sessions, you don't need to play the steps consecutively. In this way it is much more preferrable than a large multi table tourny where you're locked in for five hours. I haven't played many steps as of yet (too busy with my real job and girlfriend) but have made one step five only to bust out on the bubble short stacked on a coin flip. I have a step 4 free roll and may play that later today. Good luck

Mr_J
02-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Can someone compare these for me???
Step 1 vs $11
Step 2 vs $33
step 3 vs $55
step 4 vs $109
step 5 vs $215

I get the impression that the skill level is more extreme. Ie step is easier tha $11, but step 5 is harder than $215???? Lots of fish in the lower steps, but full of sharks in step 4 and 5??

I wouldn't mind trying steps out sometime soon.

skipperbob
02-13-2005, 11:23 AM
The point of this post is not to boast; I'm sure that there are 2+2'ers with better step records than mine....I have "invested" $4,250 into the Steps (almost exclusively into Step 2's and a few direct buys to S-3)...I've gotten to 13 S-5's and ITM'd in 5(one first, two seconds, 2 fourths)...total out = $11,900; so R.O.I. = approx 150%
The irony of Step-play, in my opinion, is that 4 & 5 are easier than 2 & 3....I attribute all of my step success, as well as whatever NLHE knowledge I have, to instruction I have received (for a fee) from Irieguy (a frequent 2+2 poster)...There's more to this game than meets the intuitive eye; you would be well-served to find out what that might be....G/L /images/graemlins/grin.gif

skipperbob
02-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Step 4's & 5's may be populated by Sharks; but payout schedule makes them "easier" than comparable SnGs

skipperbob
02-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Just benefited from one of the dumbest plays I've ever seen at a step 4 (I've made dumber plays, just never seen anybody else do it /images/graemlins/confused.gif)...5 players left (4 advance to S-5)..I'm dramatic short-stack and cannot survive next round of blinds...2 chipleaders "go-to-war"; one gets knocked out; I say "OMG" "Thank You Very Much" and advance to an S-5 /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr_J
02-13-2005, 12:28 PM
So laying down AA preflop could be a good move in some cases /images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Eg you where a medium stack here with AA, shortstack has <1BB and someone with a larger stack pushes, you fold.

villafan
02-13-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just benefited from one of the dumbest plays I've ever seen at a step 4

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I made the dumbest play ever on step 2. Was playing a tourney at Pokerstars, and decided to give the Steps a shot. Advanced to Step 2 and saw that there was three prices. But I did not actually read the prices and when we were three left, I decided to go all in almost every hand to get finished. Well I finished in 3rd place and got a surprise when i saw that I had won en entry to step 2 /images/graemlins/blush.gif