PDA

View Full Version : Turn woes.

goofball
02-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Great Bellagio 30/60.

Turn Woes Part 1: I open raise in MP with AA. Bad (no, no other real read) player calls out of the blind. The other blind calls too.

flop is 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Bad Player checks, other blind checks, I bet, Bad player checkraises, other blind folds, I call.

ok, he's done this before. fine, I'll raise the turn unless it's something hideous like the

6/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Bad Player bet, I call

river is K/images/graemlins/club.gif

Bad Player bets, I call.

who thinks I still need to raise the turn?

Part 2: I'm in the BB with JTo. CO open raises and it's just us to the flop. Preflop he's very loose VPIP probably aorund 40ish, He'll keep showing aggression if no one else does but he'll slow way down if you do.

so the flop is 8 6 4

i check, he bets, I call planning to checkraise almost any turn I thought looked fun.

turn is a Q

he bets, I fold.

Ezcheeze
02-13-2005, 08:41 AM
In the second hand you say you want to check raise almost any turn but you check fold on a card that gives you 4 additional outs. Doesn't really make sense to me, this is one of the cards I'd like to checkraise.

-Ezcheeze

goofball
02-13-2005, 06:36 PM
The reason to checkraise the opponent on the turn is that he is weak and will call the turn checkraise but fold the river with just overcards that missed. He will do this often enough to make up for the times he calls me down with a pocket pair and I miss.

In this case, the pot is small, the chance that he'll call me down with overcards that just hit has ot be added to the fact that he ahs a pocket pair, and I have to remember that if he has a PP the Q just game me 4 extra outs, but the Q could have also easily reduced me to those 4 outs. Besides, even having 10 outs, the very best possible scenario, the pot odds are still thin at best in this 4BB pot.

TStoneMBD
02-13-2005, 08:45 PM
i like calling down in hand 1. the fold in hand 2 is fine.

Ezcheeze
02-13-2005, 10:25 PM
If he will fold the river unimproved then you have 39 outs. The queen is one of the better cards to checkraise wtih since it gives you additional outs agianst him the times he does have a pair, and he is now unlikely to call you down with A high unless the board pairs on the river. However, if a small card comes or the board pairs on the turn he will probably call you with A high.

Anyway, since he has a VPIP around 40 and will fold unimproved on the river, as long as he keeps betting the turn when he has nothing, then you should raise and lead the river no matter what card comes. Clearly it will work often enough in the situation you have described.

-Ezcheeze