PDA

View Full Version : The "kinder" blind steal?

stillmatic
02-13-2005, 05:26 AM
just wanted some opinions on a technique ive been using with success. A decent number of times i will just limp instead of raising the blinds mid to late in a tourney, then just bet the on the flop. I do not do this too often and will raise with my decent hands. Id say the blinds fold atleast 70% of the time, and it gives me an oppurtunity to slow down and not be so overbearing (as my game is based on being aggressive). If i raise it too often alot of people begin calling and then being determined to not be "played"to call flop bets with any small piece of the board. but they seem to appreciate the chance to see the flop and ussually just fold. although i know this can backfire sometimes. thoughts?

The Yugoslavian
02-13-2005, 05:30 AM
This idea is fine given appropriate context.

Hell, doing anything is fine given appropriate context.

I imagine that what you describe would be even more effective in the later rounds of SNG play against those 'call happy' players you seem to be talking about.

Yugoslav

Bigwig
02-13-2005, 05:42 AM
I assume you're on the button.

I don't have a problem with it, as long as your stack is bigger--or at least roughly the same size--as your opponents.

stillmatic
02-13-2005, 05:43 AM
im sorry, yes on the button against stacks of smaller size

Irieguy
02-13-2005, 05:59 AM
Feel free to continue trying this, but if you do, you should track the results.

You will find that you are hemorrhaging chips with this play.

Irieguy

stillmatic
02-13-2005, 06:04 AM
thx for replies, i will try to track my results and look deeper into my EV on this play. I didnt know if this was a decent strategy or not (reason for my post), so i will look closer and maybe change my philosophy on this

zaphod
02-13-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Feel free to continue trying this, but if you do, you should track the results.

You will find that you are hemorrhaging chips with this play.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Would'nt it be difficult to track the results of this play?

The alternative play would be to raise(or possible fold), and it would be difficult to se how the raise would work out without seeing your opponents hands, and without knowing how your opponents thinks.
You could find out that limping has positve EV, but still raising might have greater positive EV.

El Maximo
02-13-2005, 10:10 AM
You could track these results in pokertracker. Just run some filters like on button vs. chance to steal and called.

ReDeYES88
02-13-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just wanted some opinions on a technique ive been using with success. A decent number of times i will just limp instead of raising the blinds mid to late in a tourney, then just bet the on the flop. I do not do this too often and will raise with my decent hands. Id say the blinds fold atleast 70% of the time, and it gives me an oppurtunity to slow down and not be so overbearing (as my game is based on being aggressive). If i raise it too often alot of people begin calling and then being determined to not be "played"to call flop bets with any small piece of the board. but they seem to appreciate the chance to see the flop and ussually just fold. although i know this can backfire sometimes. thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me introduce myself . . .I'm that guy that is coming over the top of you when you do this.

Glad to meet you. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

KenProspero
02-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Well, there is the obvious problem here, that you're giving BB 3 free cards.

Take the situation where BB has .... say ..... 72o (or some other hand that s/he would fold with), with a flop of ..... say .... 772, you've given up a pot that you could have taken down with a pre-flop raise.

Granted if the flop doesn't help BB and/or SB they'll probably fold to your bet, but you are giving them the chance to see the flop.

d1sterbd
02-13-2005, 01:13 PM
I don't think this is that bad in the circumstance that he is talking about. He has been raising a lot so he is trying to call on the button and bet no matter what comes on the flop if checked to. This actually using positional advantage rather than stealing since the small blind is likely to call as well.

AtticusFinch
02-13-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, there is the obvious problem here, that you're giving BB 3 free cards

[/ QUOTE ]

Conversely, though, what if he has 22 and the flop is Q T 7? It may well be that he would have called a push, but will fold to a bet on the flop.

KenProspero
02-13-2005, 02:09 PM
True.

I still hate giving 'free' cards.

KingDan
02-13-2005, 02:18 PM
I have been using this quite at a bit as the small blind when its folded to me... Even with some pretty crap haqnds the bb might call a preflop raise and try to hit.