PDA

View Full Version : Were they correct to keep calling?

bear187
02-13-2005, 01:48 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (15 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19.50 BB

UTG shows A6* suited for the flush

jon_keck
02-13-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Were they correct to keep calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, your play makes much more money in the long run. Nice hand.

For future reference, it's better to leave results til later.

bottomset
UTG was getting 19/1 on the flop with a couple backdoor draws, plus an overcard, thats not a bad call, he played his hand fine otherwise, this is a very unenvyable situation where you can't protect on the flop at all, and same for the turn

vulturesrow
At first glance it would appear UTG did. You played it fine I think.

elitegimp
preflop: I play the same way -- I wouldn't call two cold with A6s, but after putting one in and seeing a ton of callers it's an easy call of the raise

on the flop, UTG is getting 19:1 to call... he has a backdoor nut flush, and a couple backdoor straights. (42 or 78). Even ignoring his A outs (if he puts you on A9, for example), I think that's an okay call.

On the turn, he's getting 13.5:1 with 9 outs to the flush. Having 5 players in, he might get value out of a raise here /images/graemlins/smile.gif (and you'd definitely have to 3-bet)

River played itself for him.

edit: added pre-flop

bigmac366
02-13-2005, 01:54 AM
unless my math is wrong, your flop bet was laying 19-1. one over and a back door nut flush draw is worth about the same as a gut shot, maybe a little less. flop call was close imo. i could be way off though

Nick C
02-13-2005, 02:09 AM
I'm sure some of your opponents' calls were bad. But after UTG limped with A6s, which from the looks of it is the optimal play at this table, I think he would have been wrong to fold at any point. When the action gets back to him on the flop, he's getting an immediate 19:1 and a possible 20:1. So I think he should call with his backdoor flush (1.5 outs), dubious overcard (1 out, maybe?), and his multiple backdoor straight outs (if 42, 74, or 87 fall), all of which are just to one card (1.5 outs? -- I'm not entirely sure how to assess outs for this particular backdoor straight configuration, especially since in all of the straights he can make, only the six will play). In any event, I think it's enough to stay in, although if by some chance UTG+1 checkraises and you then 3-bet, he shouldn't be happy.

Once UTG reaches the turn and has an actual flush draw, he's obviously not going anywhere.

Actually, while the other players may have made some incorrect calls (and certainly some of them did preflop), I think an abundance of loose players at a table does sometimes make the loose postflop play for each individual player not as bad as it would be otherwise, as they'll often get pretty big odds on calls they would have made even if they weren't getting such big odds.