PDA

View Full Version : QQ and JJ

cold_cash
02-13-2005, 01:35 AM
I'm going to post two hands here, even though I hate posts w/ multiple hands, because these were similar hands against the same opponent.

My opponent here was pretty much ideal. He saw about 50% of all flops, and only raised pre-flop about 4% of the time. His average aggession rating was about 1. (Although on the river it skyrocketed to a little over 5.) I had about 150 hands w/ him.

Hand Uno

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

----------------------------------------------------

Hand 2

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

It seems that lately I've been taking a "here's some rope, go ahead and hang yourself" approach, and I feel like I'm missing bets and/or playing too fancy.

I dunno.

adamstewart
02-13-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate posts w/ multiple hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Adam

adamstewart
02-13-2005, 02:43 AM
HAND #1: It's probably "correct" to fold this to the turn raise. (Although I'd have a tough time doing it in the heat of a hand - Is that really an excuse /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

HAND #2: I play it the same way. You're either ahead, or waaaaayyyy behind. For those times that you're ahead, let him hang himself. Call it down to the finish line.

Adam

SmileyEH
02-13-2005, 06:20 AM
looks fine to me. The high river aggression just means he chases.

-SmileyEH

pyroponic
02-13-2005, 07:16 AM
Hand #2:

Why not raise on the turn and see if he 3-bets, if he just calls the raise he'll proably check to you on the river.

cold_cash
02-13-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand #2:

Why not raise on the turn and see if he 3-bets, if he just calls the raise he'll proably check to you on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't seem like I could call down if he 3-bets, so if I'm going to spend two bets with a raise/fold I might as well spend those same two with a call/call and see a showdown.

Also I don't want him to stop betting or fold a hand I'm beating.

adamstewart
02-13-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand #2:

Why not raise on the turn and see if he 3-bets

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad.

Adam

detruncate
02-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Hand 1: I assume his post-flop aggression is skewed because of the river number. An aggression factor of 1 in a 50% player combined with tendency to raise (presumably) more than monster pairs PF usually makes me start to wonder if I can profitably call this down. His river aggression might argue somewhat in favour of this as well, but it's not nearly as helpful -- he's probably supplementing his big hands by picking up a lot of pots when checked to with a pair or some such.

It's not so much the numbers, but the psychology behind the numbers. A demonstration of aggression in less than ultra-obvious situations indicates a tendency to put himself out there a little more that you'd expect from a calling station. Even just raising some hands PF shows something. I'm not sure it adds up to a call down in this case, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if this guy took a pop at you with jacks-up or some other 2-pair.

I don't mind a fold here. It's not clear that you'd be gaining enough the times he's bluffing to make up for having to pay off all the legit raises.

I hate these situations, and feel like I swing between folding too much and paying off too much.

Hand 2: The stop and go from a passive player usually indicates a strong hand, and I think you took the best line if you're going to show down. If he's bluffing, let him bluff. A more aggressive line seems totally counter-productive -- it's likely that we need to maximize our profit when he's bluffing to make this even close to +EV.

I'd probably fold this. If Villain tabled 2-pair in Hand 1 it would help me make this call.

suspicious_mind
02-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Hand1: I might check-call the turn and river sometimes in situations like these when I´m not sure what to do if I´m raised.

Hand2: I play it the same. If MP1 calls again I´d be worried though. If it was folded to me I might just call down.