PDA

View Full Version : Iverson

istewart
02-13-2005, 12:49 AM
So I was at tonight's Sixers/Magic game, and I was thinking about an MVP thread I made recently in which I said it should be Nash. I acknowledged James as probably the best player in the NBA, but Nash means more to his team.

The fact that Iverson scored 60 tonight and was on fire tonight probably does sway my opinion, but I reconsidered my thoughts afterward. Is there anyone else in the NBA that is as much of his team as Iverson? He is the only reason the Sixers can be even close to watchable. While he won't get it because the Sixers won't make the playoffs, I don't think there's anyone that means more to a team than him.

Thoughts?

Sponger15SB
02-13-2005, 12:51 AM
If I could pick one good player to not be on my team, it would be iverson....

"we talkin bout pratice? pratice? not a game....not a game...not a game, but practice"

ok, its comedy, but he can bite me

lapoker17
02-13-2005, 12:53 AM
You're a genius.

I Love AI.

Let the anti-thuggery come...

Sponger15SB
02-13-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I could pick one good player to not be on my team, it would be iverson....

"we talkin bout pratice? pratice? not a game....not a game...not a game, but practice"

ok, its comedy, but he can bite me

[/ QUOTE ]

alright to clarify.... i don't hate him because he doesn't care about pratice.

he is a ball hog who takes crap shots. he is like kobe on steriods

snowbank
02-13-2005, 01:10 AM
I agree, without Iverson the Sixers would be almost unwatchable. I also agree with Sponger, that Iverson does take bad shots, but I'd rather have an off balance Iverson putting it up in the lane than give the ball to anyone else on that team. If he worked on his 3 point shot, he would be basically uncoverable, if he isn't already. He shoots less than 30% I think, which is horrible for an NBA shooting guard who gets above average room to work with because of his speed. He'd probly average 35 if he had some range on his shot.

istewart
02-13-2005, 01:13 AM
I agree with these points too. He isn't the best player in the NBA, but neither is Nash. Nash plays zero D. Iverson takes a bajillion shots per game. He still is the 76ers. I don't think you can say this about anyone else. Maybe Kobe, but...

DesertCat
02-13-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with these points too. He isn't the best player in the NBA, but neither is Nash. Nash plays zero D. Iverson takes a bajillion shots per game. He still is the 76ers. I don't think you can say this about anyone else. Maybe Kobe, but...

[/ QUOTE ]

Basketball is a team sport. If he would pass the ball to his unguarded team-mates, they would shoot a higher percentage than he does with his brutal off-balance triple teamed chucks. That means more wins. It also means he isn't that important to his team (unless their record of mediocrity is important). He should have been traded long ago.

Oh, yea, somehow Nash doesn't play defense, but the suns have one of the best perimeter percentage defenses in the league! And he's the only addition on a team that's gone from mediocrity to tied for best record. And he's only scored 30 like once this year. Shows you how important chucking up low percentage shots is...

mmbt0ne
02-13-2005, 01:32 AM
Not only does AI have the league scoring lead, but he's averaging a career high 7.6 assists per game this year. I remember I started liking Iverson when I saw him play at Georgetown. I still have no idea why I was at the game, or why he was playing in the Georgia Dome, but from that point on he's been one of my favorite players. I've worn 3 every chance I've had because of him.

lapoker17
02-13-2005, 02:10 AM
Look - Everyone who's posted is right. He's selfish on the floor - OK - But he has NOTHING.

He's the toughest player the league's seen in 20 years. MJ may be his only competition in that area. No one else is even close. Hate him cause he has tatoos and his mom's a thug - whatever - we know who he is.

BreakEvenPlayer
02-13-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but he's averaging a career high 7.6 assists per game this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

And name another dude on his team without looking at the box score from tonight.

Iverson's a bad-ass.

mmbt0ne
02-13-2005, 03:15 AM
Kyle Korver and I only know him because he's white and goofy but can shoot.

Does McKie still play? If he does he probably sucks now. Ok, I just cheated. Yes he plays, yes he sucks. And how did I forget Iguodala. Oh well.

Here are Philly's team leaders in stats tonight:
Rebounds: C. Williamson 10
Assists: A. Iverson 6
Steals: A. Iverson 5
Blocks: A. Iverson 1

Definitely a bad ass.

The Yugoslavian
02-13-2005, 03:20 AM
KG has meant, means, and will mean as much to his team as AI. So does Timmy D, Nash, Nowitzski (having his best year ever by a lot-- and this isn't up for debate), Lebron, and as much as I hate to say it, Kobe.

Plus, AI's style will prevent him from having much of a shot at a 'ship. Larry got him close but it was due to the hardnosed defense and perfectly surrounding him with rebounders and great team players (plus everyone on that 76ers team had a career year it seemed in terms of effectiveness).

FWIW AI has been better than that season they made the finals (as he finally passes more in good situations). BUT he's still 80% scorer -- and needs much help if he is ever going to go all the way.

Yugoslav