PDA

View Full Version : How bad is this play?

ozzy
02-12-2005, 11:06 PM
How many mistakes did I make here?...How bad are they?

Party Poker 20+2

On the bubble

Blinds at 100/200. Hero is shortest stack with 1300 in chips.

Hero is dealt K2o UTG and raises to 600

Big Blind (T1600) raises to 1000.

Hero re-raises all-in.

My train of thought on this was that K2o was worth attempting a steal with, given my stack of 6.5XBB and my chip position. It's certainly the very bottom of what I'd consider a steal with, but my image at this point should have been very tight and I thought I'd get respected. After getting caught with my hand in the cookie jar, I thought there was a good chance that I had 2 live cards and pot odds to call. (And needed to push as a call was > 1/2 my remaining stack) However, if BB raises all-in rather than min-raise, I'm not certain I have the correct pot odds for the call. Given that I put my likelihood of winning the hand at better than the 17:4 being offered by the pot, but less than the 20:7 that is implied when BB calls as expected, what is the correct play?

Is K2o too weak to attempt a steal with under these circumstances? If so, what's the weakest King worthy of this move? If no King, is worthy, what's the weakest Ace you'd consider? If I do attempt the steal, do I need to push? I've heard 1/3, 40% and 1/2 benchmarked as the threshhold for pushing, rather than only raising as a % of remaining stack. Which should I be using?

After the re-raise (even if you don't think I should ever have gotten into this situation), is my re-raise correct? Why (not)?

Thanks in advance for constructive criticism....Be gentle.

ReDeYES88
02-12-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blinds at 100/200. Hero is shortest stack with 1300 in chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the other stack sizes? When are the blinds going to jump to 150/300? Makes a world of difference.

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is dealt K2o UTG and raises to 600

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmmmm. . .why? Hero has t1300 UTG, and t300 total in blinds coming through in the next two hands. Even in the worse case scenario (muck, muck, muck), Hero will still have t1000 and some FE. (would still like to know the other stack sizes, where they are, and when the blinds jump)

[ QUOTE ]
After getting caught with my hand in the cookie jar, I thought there was a good chance that I had 2 live cards and pot odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

And which two cards are those? Oh, sorry. You must be counting the 2 and ignoring the possibility that Villian is pushing a pocket pair . ..any pocket pair. Or AK for that matter. Run the numbers against AA-22, AKs-AJs, AKo-AJo, and KQo, you are behind 72-28. Against any broadway plus the pairs, you're 66-33.

As for pot odds, Irie has the following pearl of wisdom about those: "Understanding pot odds is important in ring game play, but in SNGs pot odds are like filters on cigarettes. They give addicts a way to rationalize behavior that they know is killing them."

[ QUOTE ]
Given that I put my likelihood of winning the hand at better than the 17:4 being offered by the pot, but less than the 20:7 that is implied when BB calls as expected, what is the correct play

[/ QUOTE ]

Run the numbers against the BB holding any two, and you'll see that you are a flip at best (50.5-49.5)

[ QUOTE ]
Is K2o too weak to attempt a steal with under these circumstances? If so, what's the weakest King worthy of this move?

[/ QUOTE ]

KTo against a random hand will get you 60-40 (ignoring FE if you push and any ICM info), as will KQ.

[ QUOTE ]
After the re-raise (even if you don't think I should ever have gotten into this situation), is my re-raise correct? Why (not)?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're willing to push the rest of your chips in as a flip at best against a big stack that is sure to call them, then why not push them initially? At least that way you are maximizing your FE.

In summary, IMHO. . .. .muck
(I hope I was gentile.. . I'm currently working through some of my own issues and using this post as a way to reinforce things in my own head /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

ChrisV
02-13-2005, 12:17 AM
You must push or fold with less than 10BB for exactly the reason that when they reraise you don't much want to fold.

K2o is a shocking hand though, especially against typical hands which call raises. I would far rather raise with J9s in this spot.

I'd push here UTG with KTo and up and maybe K9s. There's no need to panic with 6.5 big blinds.

The Yugoslavian
02-13-2005, 12:34 AM
Fold and/or pushing here both sound okay I guess. Unless you think raising what you did somehow buys more FE than pushing allin (I can't imagine it would under any circumstance/set of reads) these are your only two options.

Folding would be my first choice. Pushing possibly is a +$EV play but it's too close to warrant doing so once you take intangibles into account (i.e. you can find a more $EV place to push very soon I'd imagine).

Yugoslav

Scuba Chuck
02-13-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is K2o too weak to attempt a steal with under these circumstances?

[/ QUOTE ]

At best K2o, is worth attempting a steal with from the SB. Furthermore, and a consistent mistake by players, even on this forum, the stacksize of your opponents matter as well. Finally, with the blinds the way they are, and being the little stack, you need to recognize how vulnerable you are. I'd wait for a far better hand to push.

curtains
02-13-2005, 05:16 AM
Even though he said to be gentle, you guys are being far too gentle. I don't know all the details, but it sounds like a dreadful allin.
After blinds pass you still have 1000 in chips and might actually catch a hand or at least something semi-decent to steal with.

The Yugoslavian
02-13-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Even though he said to be gentle, you guys are being far too gentle. I don't know all the details, but it sounds like a dreadful allin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if ozzy can't identify appropriate places to allin and/or raise weakly. Then it goes from 'dreadful' to 'perhaps okay.'

[ QUOTE ]

After blinds pass you still have 1000 in chips and might actually catch a hand or at least something semi-decent to steal with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's what I'd do too.

Yugoslav

curtains
02-13-2005, 05:33 AM
No its important to not be gentle so he stops thinking raises like this are okay! I mean it's okay to make the mistake, but its important to help him change.

stillmatic
02-13-2005, 06:13 AM
as one poster said, i would fold and wait for blinds to hit you. you still have a decent stack and surely can pick a better time to push than with k2s utg.

I like the aggressive style of the bet, but at that point i would fold 100% of the time. a monster could be right around the corner, no need to wait all that time and then run full steam wiht k2 with no info on how everyone will act.

You will only get called by a hand youre either dominated by
or are atleast a 40/60 dog.