PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury 30-60 hand

rogue
02-12-2005, 10:09 PM
Hero is UTG and posts live straddle after several others have straddled.

UTG+2 tells UTG+1 he will dead 120 if UTG+1 posts a dead 90, it is so.

UTG+3 looks at his cards and caps, MP declares he is calling the cap in the dark, the BB, hero, UTG+1, and UTG+2 all call the 5 bets in the dark.

Hero then looks to see Q4.

Flop: Q94 Hero bets, 2 or 3 callers, MP raise, Hero 3 bets, all call

Turn is a blank: Hero bets, 2 callers

River: 9 Hero bets even though he has been counterfeited, all fold.

Thoughts?

bicyclekick
02-12-2005, 10:29 PM
I can't wait to be back home to play in that game again...

I know it's seen as bad karma to fold after you straddled...but...q4? yuck. If it was suited haha i could see you gambooling it up with them but even then it's -ev. Just depends on what you're there for.

I'm check/calling that river.

rogue
02-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Well if 5 other people are in for 5 bets (most of them in the dark), wouldn't you think any two will do? My live straddling was a combination of gamboooling it up and encouraging future loose action. I played pretty tight while trying to not get a reputation of being a nit.

And after all, #1 rule of live straddling is to never fold your live straddle preflop. Or perhaps rule #1 is to not live straddle, and rule #2 is to never fold it preflop.

duckhook
02-12-2005, 11:59 PM
I think about 4 players called 5 bets in the dark.

Under those circumstances what card on the turn can possibly be a blank?

astroglide
02-13-2005, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
MP declares he is calling the cap in the dark

[/ QUOTE ]

that guy is awesome

rogue
02-13-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think about 4 players called 5 bets in the dark.

Under those circumstances what card on the turn can possibly be a blank?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Looking back I knew it was a blank. But it didn't make any flush, and didn't seem like it would make any straight. It could have hit a set or a better two pair for someone, but based on the preflop action, the MP guy was the only one fairly likely to also have a Q. Also I said it was a blank, because I don't remember what it was. I just knew I still had two pair and was likely still ahead.

I believe everyone still calling were on gutshot draws. Maybe a few backdoor flush draws that folded on the turn.

Kaz The Original
02-13-2005, 03:45 AM
Nit!
Seriously though, do you actually think a better hand is folding that river in that pot?

Nope.

Do worse hands call? In that ridiculously huge flop? Probably.

rogue
02-13-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nit!
Seriously though, do you actually think a better hand is folding that river in that pot?

Nope.

Do worse hands call? In that ridiculously huge flop? Probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying I should check or bet the river?

Well clearly better hands include mostly someone who had a 9, or a Q with a better kicker. If I get raised I would call due to the enormous pot odds, and be sad my live straddle didn't win.

I would also assume anyone with as little as a pair might call on the river, so I can still bet?

Kaz The Original
02-13-2005, 04:34 AM
I am certain a 4 calls you on the river there. I am certain any pocket pair that made it to the river calls you.

You should absolutely bet this river, and call a raise.

CardSharpCook
02-13-2005, 07:14 AM
I can't believe that people who live straddle post in this forum. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a GAMBLER in our midsts. Aw hell, a bet a lot of gamblers post here, we just don't know who they are. The best thing is that he gives rational for doing it "I'm hoping to encourage future action." What goes through a stradler's mind? "I will blindly pay twice the blind, out of position, knowing that this means that MORE people will be MORE aggressive in THIS pot AND I have no greater chance of finding a hand." I also love, "5 people called in the dark, ANY 2 HAS to be good, right?"

Rogue, you are not a poker player, you are a gambler. I hope either to see you at a table, or that you read some freaking books. Study poker before you play. Understand that MOST of the people who post here are poker players who study and think about the game. Don't try to participate until you are willing to do the same. If you are willing to throw away a BB to "liven up the game" and then compound the mistake by calling 1.5 BB with nothing...

you probably don't even know what a BB is...

CSC

Michael Davis
02-13-2005, 07:40 AM
I'm sorry your mother was so mean. Really.

-Michael

Kaz The Original
02-13-2005, 07:42 AM
*SNAP*.

I have straddled, and I am proud.

willie24
02-13-2005, 02:11 PM
settle down dude.

if he can get 3-4 other guys to put in 5 bets in the dark this hand, (and maybe inspire more stuff of this nature in future hands), straddling and calling in the dark is not a terrible play. (it may be -EV, but not by that much). the only player who has a natural advantage on him this hand is the MP raiser.

when did you become king of the forum? i enjoyed reading this post, as it presented an unusual and semi-interesting situation.

anyone who plays poker is a gambler. anyone who insults someone for their play is an a-hole

mikelow
02-13-2005, 02:56 PM
lucky, lucky

rogue
02-13-2005, 02:57 PM
I admit I do not play my best poker live. I am there more to have fun once in a while, and concentrate on playing my best online. I think going along with the occasional live straddle can increase the action at the table, but maybe it's not worth the price.

However since I only play live once every week or two, it will be a long time before I know whether I am profitable. My hope is that everyone else is so much worse, I can afford to loosen up my game a little and not be a losing player.

rogue
02-13-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lucky, lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pudley4
02-13-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe that people who live straddle post in this forum. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a GAMBLER in our midsts. Aw hell, a bet a lot of gamblers post here, we just don't know who they are. The best thing is that he gives rational for doing it "I'm hoping to encourage future action." What goes through a stradler's mind? "I will blindly pay twice the blind, out of position, knowing that this means that MORE people will be MORE aggressive in THIS pot AND I have no greater chance of finding a hand." I also love, "5 people called in the dark, ANY 2 HAS to be good, right?"

Rogue, you are not a poker player, you are a gambler. I hope either to see you at a table, or that you read some freaking books. Study poker before you play. Understand that MOST of the people who post here are poker players who study and think about the game. Don't try to participate until you are willing to do the same. If you are willing to throw away a BB to "liven up the game" and then compound the mistake by calling 1.5 BB with nothing...

you probably don't even know what a BB is...

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you hate playing with "The Rock" too...