PDA

View Full Version : Playing against very LAG opponents

Obliky
02-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Hi,

I play in a regular 1 table home game tournament once a week, all players are beginner to average in skill. Ive been having no trouble doing fairly well in this game but recently 2 new players have been playing. Both these players play together regularly and are VERY aggressive pre and post flop. Neither player is very good, infact one of them WILL NOT fold any kind of hand. However their constant raiseing and re-raiseing with any hand whatsoever makes them very difficult to play. Just imagine playing against a drunk Gus Hansen whos even more aggressive than usual...and is partial to making bad decisions.

Now these types of players dont trouble me that much in a cash game...i just wait for good/moderate cards and re-raise them pre-flop, then when they call (they ALWAYS do) if i hit the flop check raise.

And even in an internet single table tournament i can handle them as you get to see a large number of hands and can therefore wait for cards again.

The problem is that in a live single table tourney you dont get many hands per hour..so therefore dont get many good hands to challenge them with. This means they are constantly stealing the blinds and other such mischeif.
So whats been happening recently is that i just get blinded out waiting for good cards...then when i do get a good hand my stack has deteriorated to the point where they might as well call (as they will have raised already).
For example, in tonights game my stack was down to about 85 (from 200 starting chips)..im dealt QQ in the BB.

Super LAG player raises to 3*BB..(pot=45) one player calls (pot=75)...i go all in (pot=160). Super LAG quickly calls and shows K7s...then goes on to catch a flush.

Anyway..this post isnt about that hand, my point is that against such LAG opponents in live 1 table tourneys is the correct strategy to just wait for good cards and then punish them when they over extend themselves...or is it to play them at their own game, raising and re-raising based on poker instincts not cards.

Thanks in Advance,

Obliky