PDA

View Full Version : The time it takes a Pro to adjust [Party's structure]

Oluwafemi
02-12-2005, 10:02 PM
the only pro that i know of that plays Party's $215s and $1065s is Minneapolis Jim Meehan [actionmonkey] and probably every player at that level knows who he is.

the mark of very good players is the ability to ADJUST whether it be based on player styles or number of players at the table [i.e. full and shorthanded], etc. then you have small stack/fast blind poker.

i recently saw Allen Cunningham [wallfly] playing the the $105+$9 Turbos on Stars. although the stacks start at 1500, i watched a few of his tourneys as he was multi-tabling to see how he was adjusting to the fast blind structure. from the ones i watched, he had a 1st, and 2nd and maybe 3 OOTMs. two of those OOTM finishes were due to playing too aggressively with mediocre hands like K 2suited [called an all-in and lost] and A 2suited [pushed all-in with about 2K and lost]. he even raised on the button with 7 8suited, was reraised [shorter stack went all-in], he called and lost. ironically, that lost left him with about 700 in chips with about 6 or 7 players left and he came back and won. i have'nt seen him playing those Turbos sense so i don't have a legitimate conclusion to come to with his adaptation abilities.

seeing as how many good tournament and cash games pros are more skilled [overall] than Party's $215 crop it leads me to thinking how long it would take for them to adjust to Party's structure and become winning players.

based on their playing styles and successes, how do you rate these players and their ability to adapt and stack up against Party's structure and current $215 and $1065 crop?

1. Phil Ivey- very good cash game [world class] and tournament player. maybe the most dangerous shorthanded player in the world, tournament or cash game.

2 Barry Greenstein- very good cash game [world class] and tournament player. very consistent and successful against even the greatest players.

3. Chip Reese- very good cash game player [world class], does'nt play many tournaments. Barry on his website says Chip is the prototype high stakes cash game player and does'nt list any weaknesses and is good at all facets of high stakes poker.

4. Daniel Negreanu- good cash game player and excellent tournament player. along with Phil I and Gus H, arguably on of best post flop players in NL tournies.

5. John Juanda- arguably poker's best all-around tournament poker players [all games].

6. Gus Hansen- good tournament player (mostly no limit). dangerous cash game player but from what i read of Barry's website, no one of their games' consistent winners. arguably has the most gamble out of everybody which probably hurts him more in these cash games than it does NL tournies.

7. David Pham- very good NL tournament player.

8. David Sklansky- the father of poker game theory. read a thread on UPF where he played in a $400-$800 cash game with Phil Ivey in Atlantic City. i think we can assume he is a winning player. other than his WSOP bracelet wins from the '80s, no opinion on how good he is at tournament play but he did author TPFAP.

9. Greg Fossilman- respected, longtime 2+2 poster and player, winner of 2004 WSOP $10000 NL Championship, and cash game player.

10. TJ Cloutier- most major tournament wins than any other player. multiple WSOP bracelet winner, most recent in Razz.

11. Johnny Chan- very good cash game player [world class] and still forminable in tournaments.

12. Howard Lederer- very good cash game player [world class] and tournament player. Barry says on his website that Howard has no glaring weaknesses.

Daliman
02-12-2005, 11:33 PM
As has been said here before, actionmonkey on PP is NOT Jim Meehan. He is actionmonkey on stars, but not PP.

1C5
02-12-2005, 11:35 PM
anyone know who actionmonkey on Party is?

Daliman
02-12-2005, 11:38 PM
If they were playing as if $$$ mattered to them, all of the pros would be at the absolute top within 500 SNG's, although I think gus is too action for the structure.

Oluwafemi
02-13-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If they were playing as if $$$ mattered to them, all of the pros would be at the absolute top within 500 SNG's, although I think gus is too action for the structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

*money aside, this is strictly an issue of adjustment to structure. we all know the money is'nt worth their time at the current stakes.*

so, in essense, you think it would take them 500 tournies to really adjust optimally to Party's structure? or are you saying that within 500 SNGs they would all be dominating the structure?

KidNapster
02-13-2005, 12:42 AM
This thread sucks. You've been watching WAAAAY too much poker on TV. Get your facts straight, work on your grammar and enough of the "Barry says..." crap. You should spend more time improving your game and less time writing your analysis of things that you don't understand/you shouldn't worry about.

Oluwafemi
02-13-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread sucks. You've been watching WAAAAY too much poker on TV. Get your facts straight, work on your grammar and enough of the "Barry says..." crap. You should spend more time improving your game and less time writing your analysis of things that you don't understand/you shouldn't worry about.

[/ QUOTE ]

if this thread sucked so much, why did you even respond? contrary to what you may think, not every thread in these forums is based on improving your game. when ZeeJustin started the thread about the "best 215ers on Party", what if anything did it have to do with "improving your game"? while we're on the subject, would you tell ZeeJustin to spend more time improving his game and less time worrying about who's the best $215 SNG player that he played on Party?

what does this thread have to do with watching poker on TV? this thread never even discussed TV poker.

what facts do i need to get straight? is there something that you came across in this thread that was'nt factual? if you're speaking to the ability of these players in cash games and tournaments, then maybe you're the one who needs to get your facts straight. use Google or visit Cardplayer and Pokerpages.

my GRAMMAR? what are you, some 6th grade Language Arts teacher? i'm looking to discuss poker when i come to these forums, not to go through someone's post with a fine tooth comb picking out grammatical errors. i see the same kind of errors when i read other posters material. so what. i pretty much can understand and comprehend what i'm reading and that's the only thing that matters.

Barry Greenstein did an analysis and breakdown of the playing styles of some of the world's best poker players. when i say, "Barry says...", these are words coming from his mouth as to his observations, some of which are not known by the general poking playing public. if it helps the posters in 2+2's 1-Table forum to know Chip Reese, as observed by one of his fellow world class opponents, has no glaring weaknesses in his poker game--- then they will be able to comment better on Chip's ability to adjust to Party's fast blind/shortstack structure.

lastly, who are you to say what another person should worry about or spend their time thinking about? if you were'nt so busy trying to be a smart aleck, you would see that i have'nt done any kind of analysis in this thread at all.

bigredlemon
02-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Actionmonkey on PP is a 2+2er IIRC?

Oluwafemi
02-13-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actionmonkey on PP is a 2+2er IIRC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Daliman pointed out that actionmonkey is not Jim Meehan on PP but i don't recall him stating who who he was. when i was asked to google his name, i saw Jim Meehan.

InfernoLL
02-13-2005, 03:46 PM
If your main motive in responding to a post is being a jerk, then you shouldn't respond.

byronkincaid
02-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Was interesting to read in Tony G's blog that he plays the $1000s and he rates Gigabet as being the best.

Oluwafemi
02-13-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your main motive in responding to a post is being a jerk, then you shouldn't respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're talking about KidNapster, agreed. i certainly have'nt been a jerk to anyone.

Oluwafemi
02-13-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was interesting to read in Tony G's blog that he plays the $1000s and he rates Gigabet as being the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

i read Tony G's blog, too. unless he has more updates, it would be more interesting with more material.

InfernoLL
02-13-2005, 04:56 PM
I was talking about KidNapster.