PDA

View Full Version : staking dilemna

Reef
02-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Recently, a pro friend of mine has staked me to go play some live 3/6 and 4/8. He'll also sit down on the same table and play. Our deal is for 50% winnings or losses.

My question is: If I'm HU with him in a pot, can I give myself twice the odds to draw ? Half of it is his money anyway. This would allow me to, say, cap my open ended straight flush draws on the turn or draw freely to gutshots as if it was an open ended str8 draw. I don't know if I would necessarily do this, but thoughts are welcome.

~Reef

fnord_too
02-12-2005, 10:48 PM
I think in your math you are overlooking the fact that you only get to keep half of the pot, too. (Well, not strictly true, it's half of your net, but assuming you are up at the time and don't slide back, half the pot is going to your backer.)

Personally, I think the best approach is to play the game as if it were all your money and worry about the split after the fact.

shadow29
02-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Curiously, dilemma has no "n".

I agree w/ fnord.

jar
02-12-2005, 11:52 PM
If I found out two people in a game I was playing were splitting winnings, I'd get up and walk away. IMHO this is on really shaky ethical ground.

Sponger15SB
02-13-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I found out two people in a game I was playing were splitting winnings, I'd get up and walk away. IMHO this is on really shaky ethical ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you dont play with husbands and their wives?

Awesemo
02-13-2005, 12:38 AM
sounds like in a heads up you would always have odds to call him down. you'd always get your half the money that you put in back anyway!

MagikKid
02-13-2005, 01:07 AM
I believe the best thing to do when you get heads up is not to be overly aggressive with your betting. The rake only wins. That said I agree that it can very easily put one on very shaky moral ground. Especially if the pot is three way with your friend and a third party and you use this same logic to increase your potential win. Jesse May discussed this delimma very well in Shut Up and Deal.

Magik

Reef
02-13-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Curiously, dilemma has no "n".

I agree w/ fnord.

[/ QUOTE ]

ny bad

Reef
02-13-2005, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no collusion whatsoever, however that is a whole different thread (that has been covered many times). We're not really splitting winnings, he's staking me. I don't get half of his winnings.

Reef
02-13-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
sounds like in a heads up you would always have odds to call him down. you'd always get your half the money that you put in back anyway!

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly my point... but I need 'for sure' confirmation.

Evan
02-13-2005, 06:07 AM
So lets say that he misses a flush draw on the river. You bet, he's holding 8 high with one player to act behind him and 15 BB in the pot, what is his highest EV play?

Reef
02-13-2005, 06:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So lets say that he misses a flush draw on the river. You bet, he's holding 8 high with one player to act behind him and 15 BB in the pot, what is his highest EV play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise of course, however, the scenario specifically stated HU between the two of us.

Evan
02-13-2005, 06:54 AM
I wasn't answering your question, I was explaining why it is a bad idea to play in the same game ith someone that has part of your action.

MarkL444
02-13-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
play the game as if it were all your money

[/ QUOTE ]

sfer
02-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Yes. You have something like a call option on the outcome of the HU hand (you have none of the downside and half of the upside) so you would be correct to do whatever you could to jack up the variance of your play and go maniacal. Seriously, raising and capping is "right." Also, when HU, he should be folding to you a lot.

I don't know about your ethics but I would be uncomfortable playing with him unless the others at the table knew about your arrangement.

sfer
02-13-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't answering your question, I was explaining why it is a bad idea to play in the same game ith someone that has part of your action.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like you last week?

Evan
02-13-2005, 03:23 PM
We agreed before we played that he would not take any of my action for exactly this reason.