PDA

View Full Version : Why you raise PF with KK! (just a moral lesson)

bozlax
02-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Had MP2 raised the KK he showed at the end, I would've folded A9o in half a second.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (1.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

guitarhero14
02-12-2005, 08:44 PM
bet he was mad. His fault. Good hand.

hate
02-12-2005, 08:49 PM
I don't get these "you need to do this because of this" posts with single-hand evidence. Everybody (should) understand the need to pf raise high pocket pairs, and people make a point of disregarding results-based thinking when it comes to people posting hands where they played well and were outdrawn, so why are we using vice versa as justification for this? Use statistical evidence that the high pocket pairs do less well against more people if you're going to point out something like this.

SoftcoreRevolt
02-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Because this example is really funny since not only did he not raise preflop, he didn't raise the safe flop either because he wanted to do... well whatever the hell he was doing on the turn.

bozlax
02-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Except in this case, it's not a strategical issue that's being pointed out, it's a tactical one. In this case the strategic truth is that KK should play well against somebody stupid enough to stay in for even one bet with A9. The tactical point is that you should raise your high pocket pair preflop from any position to drive out weak competition.

For issues of tactics, one hand is enough to make the point, IMO. Villan in this case made a poor tactical decision to slow-play a high pocket pair in a low-limit game. If he'd raised me, and I'd called and won anyway, I'd still have made a bad decision to call the raise.

bozlax
02-12-2005, 09:24 PM
True...I'd have certainly folded to a bet with only 5SB in the pot, looking at a inside straight draw.

milesdyson
02-12-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The tactical point is that you should raise your high pocket pair preflop from any position to drive out weak competition.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, dude. You raise because weak competition will call with terrible hands.