PDA

View Full Version : Napster to go

jstnrgrs
02-12-2005, 08:13 PM
So I signed up for a free trial, but when I tried to transfer tracks to my iriver H10 (the first device on their list of compatible devices), I got a message saying that the device was not compatible, and I would have to buy each track individually to transfer them. I'm somewhat pissed about this, and if napster doesn't fix the problem, I will certainly be canceling my membership at the end of the trial period.

wonderwes
02-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Everything on napster is a windows media file correct? Screw that. I wouldnt download it even with the free trial. Who wants a hard drive full with .wma's.

Tosh
02-12-2005, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who wants a hard drive full with .wma's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who not? I have never gotten this.

ClaytonN
02-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Aren't wma's much larger in file size?

And plus, I'd rather want .mp3's for the obvious reasons.

astroglide
02-13-2005, 12:19 AM
i think they have 2 levels of compatibility. 1 means they will play wma files, 2 is they will play napster-'rented' wma files.

ChoicestHops
02-13-2005, 12:21 AM
I tried the service and couldn't figure out how to download songs without paying 99 cents for each of them. I'd search for a song, and every choice I'd have to pay.

I canceled three days later, and at the end of the trial still got billed. I was pissed.

jstnrgrs
02-13-2005, 01:21 AM
Well, I tried again, and it worked. (I don't know of anything I did different.) I am now pretty much satisfied, but I will be keeping a close eye on this for the rest of the trial period. As far as wma files go, as far as I am conserned, if the music sounds good, and I can fit several hours of music on my player, that's good enough for me.

_2000Flushes
02-13-2005, 03:40 AM
I finally gave up on Napster all together. I pay by the song because I don't want to be required to continue paying them indefinitely to listen to the songs I've downloaded. So on every third song I click, I get a damn popup window telling me I should subscribe.

I also don't like that I can't transfer songs between my computers, even among the three I'm allowed. I have to redownload them all. This especially blows because they have trouble keeping a lot of their lisencing on these songs. So there are a bunch of songs that I've bought, but I can't download because they're "working as hard as possible to reaquire the rights" or some BS.

Anyway, I hope they fail.

-2kF