PDA

View Full Version : Pushing standards in 2-table step tourneys

AtticusFinch
02-12-2005, 07:11 PM
I've recently decided to waste some time on the 2-table steps. I've found level 1 to be very soft. However, I've run into a new situation. Getting to 100/200 blinds with 10 players remaining. Now I get hands that I would push without a second thought in a STT where there are 4 or 5 left, except now I'm UTG with a whole lot of players sitting behind me. Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom for this situation? Clearly you need to be tighter in early position, but should you be tighter in other positions as well, considering you have more time to catch a hand?

An example of an unfamiliar, tricky situation. I'm on the button with 900 chips. 100/200 blinds, 10 players. 3 limpers in front. 2 are super loose, 1 is a solid player. I'm dealt 66. Push? (I did. Loose guy called with J8o and beat me on the river. Oh well)

Scuba Chuck
02-12-2005, 08:42 PM
My limited experience on the STEPs thus far (4 times, 3 unsuccessful - and STTs) is that STEP 1 is maniacal. Play very tight, and let the others knock each other out. Go full bore with premium preflop hands.

It kind of feels like a "king of the hill" mentality. "You can't knock me off." "I'll show you with my J8."

Furthermore, these fish have thrown The Gap Concept out the window. That being said, Hope to get some lucky cards, otherwise step aside.

Step 2, 3, and 4 look more attractive tho.

I do plan on toying with the STEPs a bit this upcoming week. This is my current strategy. I would like to build up 3 or 4 STEP 5 buyins. Then attack STEP 5. Don't know if this makes any sense, but I'd like to get as many STEP 5 experiences as close together as possible.