PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Green Tea +EV?

Caruso329
02-12-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm thinking about starting my morning off with a hot cup of green tea from now on. I've heard about the health benefits of green tea (reducing high blood pressure, preventing certain forms of cancer, slow aging, etc) and I'm wondering if anyone on here is an avid tea drinker and recommends this?

TheJbot
02-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Good stuff, been living in Japan now for 5 years and just recently started to enjoy it. Many benefits to the green tea. One unlikely negative might be not getting enough iron if you drink with meals. But I imagine if you don't drink it with every meal you'd be fine. plus i read somewhere that you don't want to compensate for less iron absorption by taking iron supplements at the same time. Some bad things can happen. But all in all it's definitely a +EV

-jbot-

Bellagibro
02-13-2005, 04:26 AM
I agree Green Tea is +EV. Smoking is -EV

rusty JEDI
02-13-2005, 06:00 AM
I drink a fair amount of green tea.

Just did a google search on the iron thing. It will only block the absorption of plant based iron and not animal based iron. So steak and green tea will see no loss of iron intake.

rJ

goofball
02-13-2005, 08:22 AM
instead of green tea drink whisky

housenuts
02-13-2005, 05:51 PM
i'm gonna make some right now. i like the taste. i don't know if it's +ev though

nothumb
02-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Tea in general is great for you. I usually drink peppermint or lemon tea. It's very relaxing, super cheap and easy to make. Not only is it +EV but there are a lot of 'meta-game' considerations as well.

NT

StoneAge
02-13-2005, 07:25 PM
You might want to try Yerba Mate- I prefer it to green tea. I don't remember the nutritional content of green tea, but off the top of my head Mate has a good mineral content, potassium magnesium, iron etc.

When I drink it, it gives me a pleasant invigorated feeling. I was never a coffee drinker, so I can't compare it, but friends who have had both say that it is has a much more pleasant, less jittery effect than coffee.

I personally like the ritualized tradtional process of drinking it from a gourd with others. I work as a wilderness trip leader in souther Utah so myself and other instructor drink it when we are together a lot- it was introduced to us by a former instructor from South America (where Mate is from).

When I drink a lot in one sitting I notice a drying of my sinuses.

Funny aside- I was at a primitive skills gaterhing with a new friend who was deaf. We ran into a woman who knew sign language and asked my friend if he would like m-a-t-e. The look on his face was priceless.

tek
02-13-2005, 08:11 PM
I drink Brassica with SGS.

jakethebake
02-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Green tea is great...if you're Chinese. It's also fabulous if you're gay. Otherwise it's disgusting.

drexah
02-15-2005, 01:21 PM
i drink arizona green tea quite frequently. i have the huge bottle for glass cups as well as carton'd green tea...stuff is great.

junkmail3
02-15-2005, 02:52 PM
This guy likes green tea (http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/diet.fitness/02/15/one.mans.immortality.ap/index.html)

shummie
02-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Kurzweil is taking over my life. It started with some random link to something linked to him through an RFID Article I was reading at work.

I recently posted a link to his book in another thread where some stated that they didn't want to die.

Check out www.KurzweilAI.net (http://www.KurzweilAI.net) I've been reading stuff from there for the past couple weeks. I will probably get his book "...How to Live Long Enough to Live Forever..."

- Jason

M2d
02-15-2005, 05:11 PM
Green tea is Japanese.

theBruiser500
02-17-2005, 10:42 PM
i have heard many vague good thigns about tea but no studies or facts

nothumb
02-18-2005, 04:47 AM
Tea definitely has antioxidants (green tea anyway) which are undeniably good for you. Also, being relaxed and well hydrated are both good for you in the long run. Other effects, vitamins, minerals, etc I cannot speak authoritatively on, but they probably exist.

NT

Rick Nebiolo
02-25-2005, 01:27 PM
1) Are the health benefits or green tea urban myth or scientifically based?

2) How does the caffeine content for green tea compare with coffee or regular tea? I need some caffeine in the morning (and avoid it at night).

3) Also, does anyone have suggestions for commonly available (or even esoteric mail order) brands that they like?

Regards,

Rick

Caruso329
02-25-2005, 01:31 PM
I've read they're scientifically based, can't give you any specifics though.

Caffeine in avg milligrams per 8 oz.
Double Espresso 160
Drip Coffee 90
Cola 45
Green Tea 30
Decaf Coffee 5

I've been drinking Celestial Seasonings. Wal-mart grocery isle.