PDA

View Full Version : Did I maximize value here?

jayheaps
02-12-2005, 05:32 PM
5/$10 Omaha Hi/Lo - Saturday, February 12, 14:47:35 EDT 2005
6 Handed

** Dealing down card:s **
Dealt to Hero [ J /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif :2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif :4 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]
EP folds.
MP1 calls [$5].
MP2 raises [$10].
Hero calls [$10].
SB calls [$8].
BB folds.
EP calls [$5].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
SB checks.
EP checks.
MP2 bets [$5].
Hero calls [$5].
SB calls [$5].
EP folds.
** Dealing Turn ** [ 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif ]
SB checks.
MP checks.
Hero bets [$10].
EP folds.
MPcalls [$10].
** Dealing River ** [ 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]
MP checks.
Hero bets [$10].
MP calls [$10].
Hero shows [ J /images/graemlins/spade.gif, A /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif ] a flush, ace high.
Hero shows 7,5,3,2,A for low.
MP doesn't show [ A /images/graemlins/club.gif, K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ] two pairs, aces and eights.
MP doesn't show 8,7,5,3,A for low.

Moneyline
02-12-2005, 05:58 PM
I would have played every street the same. I wouldn't jam the flop because I wouldn't want to scare off the SB.

BlueBear
02-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Looks good.

mosquito
02-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Raising the flop is an option, if you think you won't
lose anyone. Otherwise its pretty much classic H/L
play......

But you do have excellent 3/4 cards on flop w/flush &
wheel draw. A raise may be best anyhow.

Nick709
02-13-2005, 06:00 AM
Raise the flop. Thse guys will fold just as much for one bet as they will for two, you scoop this pot a lot of the time and you only stand to lose 1 small bet on the flop if both players fold to your raise. JAM JAM JAM.

Buzz
02-13-2005, 10:34 PM
jayheaps - Raise on the second betting round. This seems a skitterish group and you might end up scooping with only the nut low. Or you might make a flush and/or a wheel for a legitimate scoop.

Yes, there's some danger of getting quartered for low, but you have such lovely counterfeit protection and such nice scoop prospects that I wouldn't worry about getting quartered. If it happens, it happens. No big deal and nothing you can do about it except save a fraction of a small bet by not raising. However, you stand to gain much more by raising. Therefore, by all means, go ahead and raise the flop.

Buzz

jayheaps
02-14-2005, 12:23 AM
my concern was actually keeping the SB in the hand to get future overcalls, possible drawing to non-nut lows.

johnnybeef
02-14-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
jayheaps - Raise on the second betting round. This seems a skitterish group and you might end up scooping with only the nut low. Or you might make a flush and/or a wheel for a legitimate scoop.

Yes, there's some danger of getting quartered for low, but you have such lovely counterfeit protection and such nice scoop prospects that I wouldn't worry about getting quartered. If it happens, it happens. No big deal and nothing you can do about it except save a fraction of a small bet by not raising. However, you stand to gain much more by raising. Therefore, by all means, go ahead and raise the flop.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

i have to disagree with buzz on this one. i think you played it well. in order to maximize your profit you are going to have to keep as many people in as possible. keep players in until the expensive streets.

pergesu
02-14-2005, 07:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
keep players in until the expensive streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

...where they're more likely to fold to a double bet, if you get a chance to make it a double bet at all.

Most people calling one bet on the flop are going to call two. With any luck, the initial bettor flopped the same low or maybe a straight, and pops you back, so you collect three (or four, if you choose to cap) bets from everyone on the flop.

The problem is that when you make your high hand, you're not going to get a whole lot of action from it. When that third flush card comes, people get scared. Collect your bets on the rounds where you'll get action - this is a good flop for you to play it fast.

Buzz
02-14-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my concern was actually keeping the SB in the hand to get future overcalls, possible drawing to non-nut lows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jayheaps - You have a good point, one shared by other respected posters.

You’re very strong here, holding the nut low plus counterfeit protection and with a bit better than a two to one chance to improve to a straight or better by the river (690 to 300, off the top of my head). but you probably won’t have the nuts for high on the river. You’d like not to lose half of this pot to someone who would have folded but who stayed in because it was cheap and who then subsequently out-drew you for high or who just hung around and beat you on the times you didn’t improve. You’d like to make it expensive for someone to do that. There’s a huge difference here between what you’ll win if you scoop and what you’ll win if you split.

As it turns out, you improve on the turn to the nut flush for high, but after the flop you don’t know that will happen. Indeed, the odds are about four to one against the turn being a heart.

I don’t know. I can see your point, and I’ll concede it’s a good point. But I still favor raising on the flop. You’re strong enough to raise, but I don’t think quite strong enough immediately after the flop to slow play it. Basically, I think you're playing for half the pot if you slow play it here, and I think that's a mistake against such a small number of opponents.

Just my opinion. I'm not adamant.

Buzz