PDA

View Full Version : Top set on a straight board

NateDog
02-12-2005, 05:22 PM
2nd orbit, table hasn't gotten out of line at all. Typical weak-semi tight.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.05.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

River: (13 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 23 BB

DeadManJay
02-12-2005, 05:25 PM
3-bet the flop.
Bet/call the turn.
River will play itself.

Shillx
02-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Goto war on the flop! Even if the button flips up a straight, you should still make it 3-bets.

Brda

Buck_65
02-12-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3-bet the flop.
Bet/call the turn.
River will play itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was about to post. Listen to the man.

Nice hand.

DeadManJay
02-12-2005, 05:28 PM
I feel smart when a "regular" agrees with me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NateDog
02-12-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3-bet the flop.
Bet/call the turn.
River will play itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

CC on the turn correct given pot size &amp; redraws?

Shillx
02-12-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3-bet the flop.
Bet/call the turn.
River will play itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

CC on the turn correct given pot size &amp; redraws?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell goto war on the turn too. The Q doesn't change nothing unless someone has exactly QQ. People could be raising with overpairs or straight draws. Someone might have 2-pair or a smaller set. Fearing the straight because of a flop raise is crazy. Get your $$$ into the damn pot!

Brad

Looks to me like the hero is the only weak-tight one in this pot. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

NateDog
02-13-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Goto war on the flop! Even if the button flips up a straight, you should still make it 3-bets.

Brda

[/ QUOTE ]

Button had the flopped straight. Now according to the Fundamental Theorem of Poker (TOP) anytime I play a hand differently than I would if I could see my opponents cards, I am making a mistake. Is it still +EV to lead and 3 bet into this hand, if you know he has it? Lead the turn when you haven't improved? Iv'e got 10 river outs to FH or quads, do I want to be capped here?

I apologize if these questions are too simplistic, but I am struggling to grasp some of these concepts. Maybe I am weak-tight, but I'm willing to learn /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

GrunchCan
02-13-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Brda

[/ QUOTE ]

Button had the flopped straight. Now according to the Fundamental Theorem of Poker (TOP) anytime I play a hand differently than I would if I could see my opponents cards, I am making a mistake. Is it still +EV to lead and 3 bet into this hand, if you know he has it? Lead the turn when you haven't improved? Iv'e got 10 river outs to FH or quads, do I want to be capped here?

I apologize if these questions are too simplistic, but I am struggling to grasp some of these concepts. Maybe I am weak-tight, but I'm willing to learn /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can see your opponents' cards, and you know you are behind a straight, then on the flop you are drawing to 7 outs to fill up. Assuming you will win the pot 100% of the time when you fill, you have about 25% equity in the pot. So if you can raise the flop and still get 3 opponents or more to call behind you, then that is the most +EV thing to do. A 7-outer needs 6:1 to call, so if you can continue with the hand (often you can) and you have many opponents, many times you should raise even when you are behind.