PDA

View Full Version : Making the move from limit needing advice on Axs

royaltrux
02-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Ok this is my first no-limit tourney online. I am a 2BB limit player after 15,000 hands and place in the money 70% of the time in one table limit tournaments.

I know limit and no-limit are worlds apart and so I post this hand to get educated. It will be a step by step post as replies are posted. Thanks for your help.

After 66 hands (which I konw is nothing) villian's stats are 24.24 VPIP/ 18.18 PFR/ 5.5 TAF

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t1740.00)
Hero (t2340.00)
UTG (t4570.00)
Button (t1350.00)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of t150.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t300.

Four-handed isn't this call a no-brainer?

Bigwig
02-12-2005, 05:16 PM
Fold.

With a larger stack, you can call and see a flop. However, due to bubble considerations, stack size, and the fact that you're facing the big stack, muck this.

RobGW
02-12-2005, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't call this a no brainer. There is a lot to consider. Do you really want to tangle with the big stack? How does he play post flop? What is your plan if you catch an A, 7 or flush draw? What do you do if you miss completely? How are the SB and Button playing? If they are playing too tight then it might be wise to lay this down and concentrate on stealing their blinds. I guarantee that they want you to call here. I would personally say in no limit you want to be the aggressor and put them to difficult decisions, not the other way around. I'm not saying that you should definately fold this, but that there is always things to consider.

sfwusc
02-12-2005, 05:18 PM
I dont like the call.

You have 8bb left. I would push or fold. I play a lot of MTT though, but I think you are ahead here.

SWUSC

Unarmed
02-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Alright well this isn't SNG specific, but Ax loses a ton of value in no-limit, as the downside on an A high flop against a bigger ace is your entire stack, as opposed to limit when its a fraction of your stack.

There's the nut flush potential of course, but you'll only hit that 5% of time (ignoring runner runner) so stacks have to be pretty deep before the flush aspect of Axs adds any material value.

In your instance its push or fold IMO. If UTG is raising any A, any pair, or any two broadway you're a dog with your A7, but not by much. With even a sliver of fold equity a push is probably +EV. I probably just fold and wait for a better spot though. You're not really short stacked here yet.

royaltrux
02-12-2005, 05:41 PM
I appreciate you guys' responses and see your points on folding and waiting for a better hand/situation to make a stand. Here is how the hand progressed:

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of t150.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t300.

Flop: (t1350) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t425</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero...?

AleoMagus
02-12-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG bets t425, Hero...?

[/ QUOTE ]

wishes he folded preflop, then pushes. That bet is awfully small for that flop. He either hit his hand, in which case he'd probably bet more to drive clubs out, or he is just keeping the lead and trying to take another stab at the pot (maybe with a small-middle pocket pair). Even if he has a hand here, I figure you for at least nine outs, possibly 12, so it's a good semi bluff if you think you have some fold equity, which I think that you do.

That said, I would have folded preflop.

Regards
Brad s