PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with World of Warcraft

Tosh
02-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Seen that a lot of people on here play, and have been looking for a new online rpg for years since UO turned s[/i]hit. Tried a few like everquest, DAOC, but they were poor subsitutes.

Anyway, just got this game and looking to get started with it, anyone have an idiots guide to get going, advice on things to do first etc etc.

wacki
02-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Here is a thread that might interest you:

Grey link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=1663124&Fo rum=f20&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1663091& Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=9862&daterange=1&ne werval=1&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev =#Post1663124)

BTW, how did UO go to [censored]? Just curious.

Matty
02-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Yeah if you wanna buy my character, I'll turn on AIM or IRC or whatever you want to guide you through the game. My character has a reputation among the hard-core gamers on the server as one of the best Priests (class most needed for high-end instances), so really you'd be starting off at the top of the game (about 3 mos. worth of dedicated work to get to). I haven't played since I made the post wacki linked to, so what you see described there is what you get.

wacki, I don't know how it is that you're able to use the search function, but unable to read threads in their entirety. And this goes back months ago when I used to read your posts in the politics forum.

Edit: also, the WoW forums are pretty good for learning the game. Particularly the class forums. Noise to Sound ratio isn't that great, but there's some invaluable info in there.

BusterStacks
02-12-2005, 04:24 PM
best thing to do is jump in, you should have the hang of it in around an hour. be prepared to have no life.

Tosh
02-12-2005, 04:25 PM
IMO anyway the day they introduced trammel, ruined the fun of the game. I'm not a big player of video games, but I did play that game a decent amount before that so I was a bit pissed off.

wacki
02-12-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wacki, I don't know how it is that you're able to use the search function, but unable to read threads in their entirety. And this goes back months ago when I used to read your posts in the politics forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called scanning. People who are busy tend to do this with things that don't matter that much. A lot of the time I will only read the most certain posters comments and skip over others. Normally this is an OOT only tactic.

Also, what did I do wrong? I thought I was helping both of you out. Politics??? Any specific situations you can think of?

BusterStacks
02-12-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of the time I will only read the most certain posters comments and skip over others. Normally this is an OOT only tactic.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo, this is the only way to read OOT without hating the internet.

Tosh
02-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks wacki and grey for the suggestion but I detest the idea of buying a character on a game. If its a game I like, I would like to actually play it rather than buy a complete character straight away. Besides which I couldn't look myself in the mirror if I paid real money for a character on a computer game.

wacki
02-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Just be careful that stuff is addictive. If you read that thread Grey lost his gf because of that game.

I've been addicted to Diablo so I know how it is. I will never play a rpg ever again.

Tosh
02-12-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
best thing to do is jump in, you should have the hang of it in around an hour. be prepared to have no life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah fair enough. I'm cool with playing it a lot initially if I like it as much as I used to like UO though. If I end up silly amounts like 20 hours a week, thats ok as long as it cuts into poker time only.

freakintemp
02-12-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just be careful that stuff is addictive. If you read that thread Grey lost his gf because of that game.

I've been addicted to Diablo so I know how it is. I will never play a rpg ever again.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read that thread you'll realize that Grey wasn't all that big on his girlfriend at the time...

Freakin

wacki
02-12-2005, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you read that thread you'll realize that Grey wasn't all that big on his girlfriend at the time...

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I guess I did miss that one. He said that about 8 posts after he said he lost his gf due to WoW. Still, even if the situation is marginal, losing a gf (or health) due to any video game is not a good practice.

MarkL444
02-12-2005, 05:32 PM
http://www.thottbot.com/index.cgi

this site should be helpful if you get stuck on anything.

Monty Cantsin
02-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Tosh:

One of the few non-obvious but absolutely essential pieces of knowledge is this: press NUM LOCK to auto-run.

/mc

MarkL444
02-12-2005, 05:47 PM
also, if for some reason youre walking slow, hit /.

Lawrence Ng
02-12-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tried a few like everquest, DAOC, but they were poor subsitutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got sick of the quest grind in WoW. Back to DAoC for me now. PvP for tehwin!

Lawrence

Tosh
02-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Oops why did I buy this damn game, played for like 3 hours without realising it earlier.

astroglide
02-13-2005, 12:18 AM
go up in levels and lose endless hours of your life