PDA

View Full Version : One Player to a Hand violation cost me half a pot

DrewOnTilt
02-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Last night I played in a very live, VERY LAG-gy game. We are talking preflop cap with K9 offsuit. It was a really fun table with numerous action players.

On one hand I have K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in late position and raise. The flop comes 2 clubs, turn and river are both blanks. I bet out the flop on overcards and a backdoor flush draw and get raised by 1 extreme LAG. I put him on a club draw so I call. Turn goes check-check, river he checks to me and I bet, figuring he will fold a busted ace-high flush.

Then the LAG says to me, "Man, I know you have nothing and I can beat anything less than ace high." He then turns to UTG and says, "Well, should I call him?"

UTG responds, "Yes, I would call him. Make him show down." BAH! /images/graemlins/mad.gif The LAG called and showed K /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif, so Choppity Chop Chop Chop went the pot.

I don't think that either the LAG or UTG meant any foul, since the table had been openly and activly engaged in all manner of conversation and playful trash talk all night long. I chose not to make a big deal out of the inappropriate exchange, although I did remind both of them of the rules and was told "yeah, you are right, sorry about that."

Just out of curiousity, what, if any, recourse would I have had if the LAG had shown down a better hand?

StellarWind
02-12-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm still trying to learn the rules of live poker.

If this type of thing happened at bridge I would tell you the following:

1. It sure doesn't seem like this was intentional. I doubt it changed the result. If he had KT you would have benefitted from this incident. Overall you don't seem very damaged here. Mostly unlucky that the second fish was possibly more prescient than the first one.

2. It's fine to play seriously and observe all the proprieties. It's also fine to play for fun and not be serious about the rules and have a good time.

3. You already knew you were playing in a not-serious game and you didn't say anything. Suddenly invoking a technicality to steal a result you probably weren't going to get is very uncool.

Randy_Refeld
02-12-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still trying to learn the rules of live poker.

If this type of thing happened at bridge I would tell you the following:

[/ QUOTE ]

All of that applies to poker. When you are playing and accept conduct or action you cannot later object. Some places put examples of this in writing, for example if someone's wife wants to sit behind them a player at the table may object if they object immediately. By waiting unitl they are upset about something they have given up their right to object. Same thing here, the dealer should gently remind them of 1 player to a hand, but there will be no penalty for having a good time.

Randy Refeld

bernie
02-12-2005, 03:06 PM
I think you handled the situation well. Much better than most players would have.

[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiousity, what, if any, recourse would I have had if the LAG had shown down a better hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely? None. Just a reprimand to the offending players.

b