PDA

View Full Version : runningng poker on a 73" sony hdtv

BUD
02-12-2005, 11:44 AM
what would the requirements be for doing this? is there something i need in acomputer and or for the tv. i am looking to play from my couch w a wireless trackball. my mind says this is the ideal setup. anyone have any experience comments or suggestions. how about how many games could one display and still see from 12' away?
thanx
bud

MicroBob
02-12-2005, 11:47 AM
I doubt you could get 1600x1200 res on this.

Most people have reported that using a TV as their monitor is really low-res. I don't think a 72" TV would be any different unless it was specifically designed to also be used as a computer monitor.

I'll shut-up now and let those with actual expertise on this topic chime-in.

BUD
02-12-2005, 11:51 AM
thanx. I would imagine there are some difficulties, otherwise everyone would be talking about doing it. yet i would think that there is a way to get it done.
bud

pyroponic
02-12-2005, 01:37 PM
I think you can run a pretty high resolution on that TV but you gotta keep a few things in mind:

1. Playing on your final setup is probably going to be annoying

2. You'll need a DVI cable of decent length, it's going to cost at least $150

3. If your HDTV is rear-project, your $300 bulb will burn out quickly if you play poker on it on a regular basis

I was going to do this same thing on my 50" HDTV, run 4 tables on my 2001FP then 4 on my TV. I ended up just getting another 2001FP and it's the nuts =)

MrMoo
02-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Agree completely with this.

My 50" runs at 1280x720 which is probably what your 73" TV would support. At 12' small text is difficult to read. Playing more than 2 tables is also rather annoying unless you can deal with a lot of overlap.

You'll also need a wireless mouse and possibly a keyboard. I personally use the Logitech DiNovo bluetooth setup which runs around $150.

Bottom line, if your going to play single table it will work fine. For multitabling, stick with an LCD which can do 1600x1200.