PDA

View Full Version : QQ HU on AK flop

Mr. Graff
02-12-2005, 10:41 AM
BB: 30/5/1.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Turn: (2 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: (2 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Final Pot: 2 BB

Comments?

spydog
02-12-2005, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure if you will induce a bluff from this type of player, so what was your plan if he bet?

Since you checked the flop, I would bet the turn. He might call with a 9, 5 or any pocket pair plus you don't want to give a free card to a flush draw. He will be suspect of your flop check and is unlikely to raise you without a strong hand.

BTW, sorry about that KJ hand against you. It was one of the few bright spots in my massive downswing and I'd rather it come against a fish than a fellow 2+2er.

Mr. Graff
02-12-2005, 01:29 PM
My thinking was that he would fold to a flop bet and if I bet the turn after checking the flop it would seem too much like I was trying to milk him on the more expensive streets so the plan was to bet the river and hope he caught something by then. I'm either so far ahead at this point or so far behind that combined with the chance he would bluff into me I thought it was worth the small risk of him catching a miracle two pair, trips, flush etc.
The ace on the river screwed with my plan so I decided to check again and hope he would use it as a scare card and bluff. I would also hate to bet and have him raise the river.

Glad to have provided you with a bright spot yesturday, erhm... I wasn't too upset about it though because I ran very hot all day. I did think I overplayed that hand just a tad. When I reraised the turn I knew there was a good chance I wasn't ahead but I wanted the third guy to pay to see an extra card because he most likely wouldn't on the river. And if I was behind to a higher straight I still had a flush draw.

balkii
02-12-2005, 01:48 PM
i would probably just bet this hand on every street.

Alobar
02-12-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My thinking was that he would fold to a flop bet

[/ QUOTE ]

so?

BK_
02-12-2005, 02:35 PM
i bet the flop unless you are arnt planning to fold to a bet on the turn or river. i would agree with your plan about checking if the flop bet (5 dollars) andt he turn bet (10 dollars) were the same amount. the factx that a turn or river bet is 5 dollars more costly outweighs the extra EV you pick up when you induce a bluff on that board. plus sometimes a smallish pocket pair will call your flop bet and check behind the rest of the streets and you pick up 5 dollars exta profit that way.

Mr. Graff
02-12-2005, 03:26 PM
I think it is a case of he will call if ahead and fold if behind (although a few players will call with a pp) and since this is unlikely to change by the river given the nature of the board I just don't see the benefit of him folding at this point if there is any chance he will either bluff or catch something on the way.

Anyone think I'm underestimating the chance he will catch me if behind (EV wise)?

Jeff W
02-12-2005, 03:42 PM
You should bet the river. He will call with a pair and he would have bet a pair of K's or A's on the flop or turn. If he was going to bluff, he would have bet the turn.