PDA

View Full Version : Most Influential band of our generation

kipin
02-12-2005, 04:24 AM
Your thoughts please

Sponger15SB
02-12-2005, 04:26 AM
How can the libertines be the most influential band of our generation when 1) i don't know what generation your in and 2) i don't know who the [censored] that band is

kipin
02-12-2005, 04:27 AM
Your life is not complete.

istewart
02-12-2005, 04:49 AM
What generation? Nirvana, RATM, the White Stripes, Radiohead, Eminem all come to mind.

MarkL444
02-12-2005, 04:53 AM
the white stripes? seriously?

Edge34
02-12-2005, 04:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What generation? Nirvana, RATM, the White Stripes, Radiohead, Eminem all come to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that list there are two bands that don't belong.

1) The White Stripes. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't even see moderately influential, much less most influential.

2) Nirvana is far and away the biggest of all those choices. Eminem is the only one who comes close for the way they changed the music landscape.

Wakko
02-12-2005, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your thoughts please
http://bitey.net/sass/poll.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Why isn't Creed a choice? It's the only right answer.

kipin
02-12-2005, 05:08 AM
After realizing the error of my ways I tried to edit my poll.

http://img225.exs.cx/img225/4885/sorry5cu.jpg

Wakko
02-12-2005, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After realizing the error of my ways I tried to edit my poll.

http://img225.exs.cx/img225/4885/sorry5cu.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

You can always http://bitey.net/sass/manp.GIF and try again. Just be sure to lock this one!

Roy Munson
02-12-2005, 08:21 AM
The Beatles were the most influential band of my generation.
Based on current record sales I would guess that they are still very influential.

spamuell
02-12-2005, 08:23 AM
The Libertines are quite good. I think they're pretty inconsistent.

To say they're the most influential band of our generation at this point is ludicrous.

sthief09
02-12-2005, 09:39 AM
creed sucks bad

astroglide
02-12-2005, 03:35 PM
yeah these guys surely did more than pearl jam or minor threat

EliteNinja
02-12-2005, 04:22 PM
I vote Alizee.

smudgex68
02-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Sex pistols, you see why don't you

freakintemp
02-12-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I vote Alizee.

[/ QUOTE ]

whore

(you, not her)

dsm
02-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Cap'n Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters

-dsm

shadow29
02-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Counting Crows, in terms of rock, alt, and a whole bunch of other stuff, were the most influential band of the 90s.

colgin
02-12-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Counting Crows, in terms of rock, alt, and a whole bunch of other stuff, were the most influential band of the 90s.

[/ QUOTE ]

You owe me a new keyboard; mine has beer spewed all over it. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Phoenix1010
02-12-2005, 08:45 PM
William Hung.

rusellmj
02-12-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too funny.

Russ

soko
02-13-2005, 07:54 AM
Hootie and the Blowfish

onlywannabewith youuuuu-hooooo

Bigdaddydvo
02-13-2005, 08:31 AM
1) 'N Sync
2) Backstreet Boys
3) 98 Degrees
4) LFO

And it's not even close.

scotnt73
02-13-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you should have put a smiley so people would know you were joking. counting crows is the most god aweful band just about ever. every time i hear that winey nazely punk i want to slap him. mr jones and....whap!

nirvana is far and away the most influential of my generation. look at the music before them(hair bands) and then look what came out for the next 10 years after smells like teen spirit hit. hell they even changed the way we dressed and made being dirty fashionable again for the first time since the hippies. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rusellmj
02-13-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nirvana is far and away the most influential of my generation. look at the music before them(hair bands) and then look what came out for the next 10 years after smells like teen spirit hit. hell they even changed the way we dressed and made being dirty fashionable again for the first time since the hippies. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Nirvana has definateley had their influence. That said, you can usually get an indication of a bands influence by how many immitators there are. When I turn on the radio today what I hear is a seemingly endless parade of Green Day knock offs.
Discuss...

Russ

StevieG
02-13-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your thoughts please

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea about this generation, but for mine it was Run DMC. Hands down.

U2 is by far a better band, and will be remembered and celebrated longer.

But Run DMC and the remake of "Walk this Way" introduced black rap artists to pop charts. Fifteen years later, rap simply dominates.

Turkish
02-13-2005, 02:33 PM
Creed is probably the worst band of all time.

Jezebel
02-13-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Creed is probably the worst band of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

And they got all of their insiration from Pearl Jam. You can't tell me that the lead singer from Creed is not doing a bad Eddie Vedder impersonation every time he sings.

It seems that there are a few other lead singers that try and immitate Vedder's sound that I can't think of right now, so I'll nominate Peal Jam for the poll.

The Yugoslavian
02-13-2005, 09:16 PM
Tupac

But he's not really a 'band.'

Yugoslav

Kenrick
02-14-2005, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No idea about this generation, but for mine it was Run DMC. Hands down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hands-down, no question. Most of their songs are timeless as far as rap goes. After that, Nirvana, (even though I like Pearl Jam better). I think more current stuff needs time to tell yet.

Hulk Hogan
02-14-2005, 04:41 AM
As far as pure influence goes it would be hard to top REM.

Bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Radiohead say they wouldn't even have been in music without them.

daveymck
02-14-2005, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you should have put a smiley so people would know you were joking. counting crows is the most god aweful band just about ever. every time i hear that winey nazely punk i want to slap him. mr jones and....whap!

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, everyone mentions Nirvana and yes they destroyed the hair bands and to a point thrash and normal metal as well, but they were the head of the grunge movement and since he blew his head off grunge died all those bands disappeared and now normal service is being resumed.

The ten years after Nirvana were probably the blandest in music history, Nu Metal came along but I more blanme Faith No More, Anthrax and Rage Against the machine for that. Even then the music Nirvana destroyed has been going on strong, look who who huge then and are huge now Ozzy, Metallica and Kiss are all huge live draws, plus with the Darkness leading the glam metal rerevolution seems to be starting with Motley Crue and others getting back together. Bands like Maiden etc have been plodding along still making lots of cash.

Lots of people cite Nirvana as their influences but I dont hear anyone still playing their type of music, I feel its more the media hype and the fact he killed himself that elevated Nirvana to this legend status, I agree Nevermind was a fantastic album but Bleach and In Utero were rubbish.

nongice626
02-14-2005, 06:57 AM
Run DMC
REM
Pixies
The Ramones
Green Day
Nirvana
Pearl Jam

Jack of Arcades
02-14-2005, 07:39 AM
Pixies?

James Boston
02-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Was the most influential band of ________ generation:

a) a relatively obscure band that makes me appear to be on the cutting edge of music

b) a legitimate answer that doesn't make me sound as cool

....b

daveymck
02-14-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pixies?

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus Husker Du if going down that road.

Bob Moulds solo stuff is pretty good if anyone is looking for that sort of stuff.

Lawrence Ng
02-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Linkin Park

Lawrence

IsaacW
02-14-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pixies?

[/ QUOTE ]
You misspelled the period, there...

The Pixies.

Hulk Hogan
02-15-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pixies?

[/ QUOTE ]
You misspelled the period, there...

The Pixies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no way. Not even in the ballpark in terms of influence, and I am a big fan.

In terms of sheer influence, there's basically only a few bands/artists that have had an enormous influence on music. REM, Run DMC, Elvis, Glen Miller, Michael Jackson, Madonna, The Beatles, and New Kids on the Block come to mind (you simply cannot deny their influence, or, if you must, you cannot deny the influence of Menudo).

You might not like a band, or you might love them, but don't confuse that with influence.

Jack of Arcades
02-15-2005, 12:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In terms of sheer influence, there's basically only a few bands/artists that have had an enormous influence on music.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you mean "popular music." Most of your list are pop/rock artists, and even then, you missed plenty of influential artists in each field. You have no country artists. You have one hip-hop group. Rap and country are important (and similar) parts of music.

The Pixies were very influential, just as REM were (and just as the Smiths were before them and Velvet Underground before them...)

knifeandfork
02-15-2005, 01:03 AM
nirvana (im 26) came first to mind so i guess im just like alot of others. then i went towards chili peppers, sublime, greenday, davematthews, phish, eminem,sara m,(i dont think "soloists" should be excluded). a little before me i like the sexpistols, tom waits, and my favs the violent femmes although the femmes and tom probably not big influences. guns and roses, and metallica may deserve mention as they were huge in their day also.

Hulk Hogan
02-15-2005, 05:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In terms of sheer influence, there's basically only a few bands/artists that have had an enormous influence on music.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you mean "popular music." Most of your list are pop/rock artists, and even then, you missed plenty of influential artists in each field. You have no country artists. You have one hip-hop group. Rap and country are important (and similar) parts of music.

The Pixies were very influential, just as REM were (and just as the Smiths were before them and Velvet Underground before them...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I mean popular music. Wtf is the point of discussing influences on unpopular music?

No country because I don't know it, though I would think Johhny Cash would be in the mix.

Fishwhenican
02-15-2005, 10:56 AM
OK, I KNOW he is not a "band" but he did have a band for a while.

If you are talking about influence you have to look back and look at pioneers and bands whose music has held up over the years and/or truly influenced people. You can't look at popular or a band who had a huge album and nothing after that which was worthwhile.

A well-known producer and recording artist, Todd Rundgren has long been recognized as an innovator in both music and new media. With more than 30 group or solo albums to his credit, Todd has written or recorded with some of the best-known artists in the business. His record producer credits include Hall & Oates, Grand Funk Railroad, Patti Smith, XTC, and Meatloaf. In 1978, he hosted the world’s first interactive concert, broadcast live from the Warner/QUBE system in Columbus, Ohio. He developed the first digital paintbox program for the personal computer – the Utopia Graphics Tablet – marketed in 1980 by Apple Computer, Inc. Todd, was doing things in different directions WAY before most other bands or musicians even thought of them.

After Todd you have to look at other bands and musicians who pass the test of time, whose music still holds up and actually influenced other musicians.

Here is a short list:
Rolling Stones
Aerosmith
Nirvana
Pink Floyd
Garth Brooks

There is a ton of great and/or popular bands and great/popular musicians out there. But if you really look at influential, that is a whole different thing!

srvollmer
02-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Whose generation?
Mine - The Pixies, Pavement, NWA.
Others:
The Clash - mixing business with politics. See U2.
Kraftwerk - electronic. see 1995-1999
The Velvet Underground - see Eno, Jonathan Richman
The Smiths - Father of modern Britpop
My Bloody Valentine - Any band that considers themselves "experimental" surely looks up to these guys.

Of All time:
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin