PDA

View Full Version : Friendships

BullChip
02-12-2005, 03:51 AM
I find that once I stop having common interests with people, I no longer feel like talking to them as much as if we shared some kind of activity.

So, is friendship defined by the things that you do or something more than that, perhaps some type of chemical reaction in your body that says it's okay to befriend him or her.

What do you guys think?

eric5148
02-12-2005, 04:01 AM
I think this needs to be posted in QLC.

EliteNinja
02-12-2005, 04:02 AM
I totally agree.

I barely talk to my best friend from high school anymore. His interests just gradually got different compared to mine, and we just stopped talking to each other. It's not that we hate each other, just that we drifted apart in interest.

cielo
02-12-2005, 04:06 AM
Bull,

I have found this to be a pretty good working definition.

Friendship, a relationship in which people share common values. The more values shared, the greater/stronger the friendship and vice versa.

This, I think, is essentially what you said in your first sentance.

As far as chemical aspects go, there was this movie called, "Dopamine" I saw, that went into that quite a bit, w/ respect to love, which is just a very strong form of friendship in my opinion. I do not believe that bio-chemical/hormonal accounts of love/friendship are incompatible with what I said above. I suppose the idea would be, when you see someone who is enjoying doing something that you value, you (your brain) process that information and a sequence of chemical reactions occur throughout your endocrine system or whatever and you feel good about this person.

What do you think?

cielo

peachy
02-12-2005, 12:51 PM
both

Alobar
02-12-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
both

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh, peachy, I like you and all, but anyone who makes their dog wear clothes needs to be shot...seriously

peachy
02-12-2005, 01:14 PM
hahah thats UGA!!! our mascot!! he rules!! and he just wouldnt look right without his spike color and red shirt!!!

Hes awesome!! Hes been in movies and was named the #1 mascot by sports illustrated!! hes adorable!!

Go DAWGS!!!!!!!!!

http://www.uga.edu/gm/archives/images/SportIllus2.JPG

oh yeah...and FOOTBALL PLAYER!!!!

http://www.arches.uga.edu/~ugadawg1/Brian_files/image002.jpg

rusellmj
02-12-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bull,

I have found this to be a pretty good working definition.

Friendship, a relationship in which people share common values. The more values shared, the greater/stronger the friendship and vice versa.

This, I think, is essentially what you said in your first sentance.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to be my experience. I have many aquaintences, but my friends are the ones who share similar values, not necessarily interests. Most of my aquintences share my interests. If you can't scratch deeper than surface interests, what's left? News, sports, weather. I have a friend I only talk to maybe 3-4 times a year but because of a more intimate knowledge of each other we can pick up right where we left off. Maybe the difference is what your sharing. Are you sharing what's inside or outside?

Russ

cnfuzzd
02-12-2005, 03:30 PM
i wouldnt know. i dont have any real friends

peace

john nickle