PDA

View Full Version : FAQ help please

Greg (FossilMan)
02-12-2005, 12:53 AM
My new website is up, and I am adding a FAQ to it. Please recommend questions that you think I should include therein.

I know there will be a bunch of silly jokes in this thread, but I am hoping for more useful replies than jokes overall. ;-)

Thanks in advance, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

SinCityGuy
02-12-2005, 01:01 AM
How long have you been playing poker and how did you get started?

El Dukie
02-12-2005, 01:27 AM
I'm sure people who aren't fully familiar with it will want to know the whole backstory on 2004. (e.g. Did you buy into the main event for $10K? How did you win your entry on PokerStars? Did you actually pocket $5M? What were your backing arrangements? How much did your backers earn? etc.)

Also, questions about your current arrangements with PokerStars. (e.g. Does PokerStars pay for your tournament play now? Do you get paid to appear in their commercials? How much?) I'm not sure if these are all questions you want to answer, but I'm sure people are curious....

Equal
02-12-2005, 01:40 AM
When did you learn to play poker?

What's a day in your life like?

Did you play live or online?

Do you recommend I turn pro?

What are the most important qualities someone needs to succeed at poker?

What resources are the best to help me improve? Books, coaching, or play experience?

How can I get in contact with you?

How do you prepare for a big tournament (such as WSOP 05)?

Who do you think is the best poker player today?

Who do you think is the best poker player ever?

Where can I buy those glasses you had?

Will you ever kiss and make up with Mike Matusow?

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rick Nebiolo
02-12-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My new website is up, and I am adding a FAQ to it. Please recommend questions that you think I should include therein.

I know there will be a bunch of silly jokes in this thread, but I am hoping for more useful replies than jokes overall. ;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

We sent in a suggestion then we browsed a bit but a lot of links seem to be down - maybe the problem is at our end /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Regards,

Rick

Legian
02-12-2005, 03:16 AM
What kind of ring games do you play in now, what limits, how you doing at it? And if you don't play cash games, why not?

That sort of thing would interest me.

Legian

Shilly
02-12-2005, 05:09 AM
What do you attribute your success to?

bunky9590
02-12-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I said good bye to greg at the Borgata, he and Mike were having a nice conversation. Sorry if that spoils things for you.

shadow29
02-12-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I said good bye to greg at the Borgata, he and Mike were having a nice conversation. Sorry if that spoils things for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Mike out of jail?

turnipmonster
02-12-2005, 01:16 PM
what is your favorite form of poker and why?

brief thoughts on some of the forms (triple draw LB, O8, limit HE, PLO, S8, PLHE, etc) would be great also.

--turnipmonster

housenuts
02-12-2005, 01:54 PM
what is your website url?

note: that question should be answered here, not in your FAQ

Tyler Durden
02-12-2005, 01:57 PM
it's www.fossilmanpoker.com (http://www.fossilmanpoker.com)

DcifrThs
02-12-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought this was funny:

[ QUOTE ]
The Latest Word

I got to play in the Pokerstars Carribean Adventure: Fun in Paradise event courtesy of PokerStars.com, for whom I work. They pay me to represent their site, wear their logo clothing in big tournaments, and generate press for them when I give print and airwave interviews. They paid for my family...

[/ QUOTE ]

i then tried to find the rest of that quotation but to no avail...so apparantly, pokerstars now owns greg's family /images/graemlins/wink.gif

i am assuming its just that they pay for greg's family to go with him to places they pay him to go ... but i thought that was kinda funny...

as per the FAQ's...gotta give 2+2 a little plug here by stating how much time you spent on the boards discussing tourney play and end game stuff...and how studying goes and how important it is...

-Barron

balt999
02-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Silly is needed to balance the soul...

How about your greatest influences outside of poker that helped your game.

balt999 journal about Poker and Life (http://www.livejournal.com/users/balt999/)

beernutz
02-12-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Boxers or briefs?

Followup question. If boxers, do they have imprints of poker-playing dogs on them?

sarahbellum
02-12-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poster: DcifrThs
Subject: Re: FAQ help please

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i thought this was funny:

Quote:

The Latest Word

I got to play in the Pokerstars Carribean Adventure: Fun in Paradise event courtesy of PokerStars.com, for whom I work. They pay me to represent their site, wear their logo clothing in big tournaments, and generate press for them when I give print and airwave interviews. They paid for my family...

i then tried to find the rest of that quotation but to no avail...so apparantly, pokerstars now owns greg's family

[/ QUOTE ]

Click on the Read More link, then click on the Pokerstars Carribean Adventure link.

MicroBob
02-12-2005, 07:28 PM
but it's so much funnier the other way.

Slacker13
02-12-2005, 08:15 PM
those glasses? I went to your site ready to buy a pair and you don't have any up. Do you plan on selling those in the future? I would rather buy from you than the Ebay people. I am anxious to bust out a pair of those glasses during my home game.

DesertCat
02-12-2005, 10:48 PM
Mr. Fossilman: your career seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?

sincerely, Lisa Simpson

jrobb83
02-12-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

those glasses? I went to your site ready to buy a pair and you don't have any up. Do you plan on selling those in the future? I would rather buy from you than the Ebay people. I am anxious to bust out a pair of those glasses during my home game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I know you are probably sick of the glasses (I watched you for a bit on the poker royale battle of the sexes thing, and you were never wearing the obligatory glasses), but it's your own damn fault for wearing them the year you won the WSOP. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jakka
02-13-2005, 12:37 AM
What are your favorite poker books, and what particular parts of each book did you find useful ?

jasonHoldEm
02-13-2005, 02:30 AM
What's the deal with the fossils?

What else do you do besides poker?

Are you writing a book?

Will you autograph ________ for me? (I promise I won't sell it on ebay...no, really)

Contact info for your agent maybe?

Do you think you could you beat me up? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Also, on a design note I'd have your web guy work on the buttons and make the complete button clickable instead of just the text. I find that annoying especially with a hover. (end nit-picking)

Otherwise, looks pretty good.

Best of luck,
J

jdl22
02-13-2005, 02:42 AM
Mostly these are questions I either know the answer to or don't care about but most non2+2ers would like to know.

How did you get the nickname fossilman?
What did you have on that huge hand against Arieh that didn't get shown? (I know you've answered that here)
What's your best advice for Joe Never Played Poker Before But Wants to Make It Big?
Do you know/like Chris Moneymaker?
Did you really get robbed?
What does your wife think of you playing poker for such large stakes?
I saw you play on ESPN and you get super lucky a bazillion times, is poker all luck?
What did you write in your book after Matusow was making fun of you?
What do you think of (insert famous TV pro here)?
I would like for you to appear at (event), how much do you charge and how can I make that happen?

slickpoppa
02-13-2005, 02:52 AM
Which player would you least like to play against in a NLHE tournament?

What is the most money you have ever lost in one night of poker (not counting tourney entry fees)?

El Barto
02-13-2005, 10:09 AM
I notice your store is some sort of Conjelco Book referral page. Does Chuck allow anybody to set up this sort of arrangement, or are you special? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Greg (FossilMan)
02-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Chuck is going to handle fulfillment of my orders once the FossilMan-specific stuff is up there, and I also have the links to his items. I get a cut of his books if they sell through my link, and he gets a cut of my stuff for handling the fulfillment.

He has this arrangement with at least one other party, so I suspect he might do the same for you if you contacted him and arranged it. You'd just need to have a site with enough traffic so that it is worth his while to keep track of your sales.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

DesertCat
02-13-2005, 12:39 PM
More seriously it would be interesting if you could get all your best historical (poker related) posts from 2+2 and had them available on your site. I once took the time to search back a few years and read most of them, and I found that very helpful to my NL game.

Of course, I'm sure your book will be very informative and better structured than a random set of posts. But I think it's interesting from a historical perspective to see how you grew as a player too. For example, can you also put up your complete tournament record, including all the Foxwood events?

Fmonti
02-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Greg: Being from New England as you know we are limited to only Foxwoods for playing HE (2 1/2 hr drive from southern NH). In the last year or so alot of charity tournaments are being held...The Lions club Elks etc. Most of these are $100. enties with rebuys and add ons for $100.' I believe you may have been up in Nashua and played in one of those after winning the WSOP Championship. Do you have any thoughts on these type of tournaments?

pokerswami
02-13-2005, 01:54 PM
After having played in several major, large buy-in events, what are you now aware of that is not revealed on the subsequent TV broadcasts? (Restated: What interesting things would most TV viewers never know about being in the final two days, final day, final table of a major tournament?)

What restrictions are now placed on apparel and accessories, especially regarding advertising and political logos and copy, in events to be televised?

Are there TV broadcast release agreements that all players have to sign before TV slated events?
Is there anyway to negotiate separate, individual release, restriction agreements?
In some events will just paying the entry fee and participating in play automatically give others the rights to broadcast anything you do or say there?

Are you doing anything to try to get some of the vast amounts of money that broadcast rights generate added to the prize pools of broadcast events?

__________________________________________________ _

Personally, I would prefer that you didn't mention 2+2's website on yours. I assume you intend to educate your visitors, but I would rather not give the less educated fish more knowledge. Of course, in my selfishness, I'm happy for you to help me.

Zeno
02-13-2005, 02:22 PM
An important question, that may not be asked much:

Aside from poker books, what other books have you read that you find interesting, important, worthwhile, profound and/or moving.

-Zeno

vanirra rice
02-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Chris Moneymaker complained that the camera added about 10 pounds to his figure. How many cameras would you estimate were on you during the ESPN WSOP coverage?

Rick Nebiolo
02-13-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chris Moneymaker complained that the camera added about 10 pounds to his figure. How many cameras would you estimate were on you during the ESPN WSOP coverage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even worse are those wide screen flat panel TV's that turn pool balls into eggs. They even make that anorexic Olsen/Olson whatever twin look healthy /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

~ Rick

Phat Mack
02-13-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm probably the only one geeky enough to be interested, but I'd like to know more about the fossils. How did you get started? Where do you collect? Areas or eras (epochs?) you are interested in? Care and feeding of collection? How you might introduce a kid to the hobby... etc. etc.

tek
02-13-2005, 08:18 PM
What Dojo do you belong to?

lighterjobs
02-13-2005, 09:42 PM
1. can you post a link to the website?

scarr
02-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Why did you choose PokerStars for the WSOP satellite?

Did you try to qualify on other sites?

How many times did you try to qualify on PokerStars and other sites?

What specific satellite(s) (ie. buy-in, rebuy) did you enter at PokerStars which resulted in the WSOP Main Event entry?

Do you have the hand history from the satellite event where you won the WSOP Main Event entry?

Greg (FossilMan)
02-14-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I would prefer that you didn't mention 2+2's website on yours. I assume you intend to educate your visitors, but I would rather not give the less educated fish more knowledge. Of course, in my selfishness, I'm happy for you to help me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about educating fish. The tools for educating yourself have always been there, and most of the fish never take advantage of them anyway.

More worrisome will be the extra traffic that might come here and further add to the signal-to-noise ratio. The only other option is to open my own forum on my site, but I really would rather not do that. I don't want to steal business, so to speak, from this forum that has been so good to me, and I don't want a forum of my own until and unless I have time to monitor it closely.

MicroBob
02-14-2005, 11:20 AM
What's the capital of Uganda?

If you were travelling in a vehicle at the speed of light and you turned your lights on, would anything happen?

Do my shoes go with this suit?

Can you recommend a good car mechanic?

Better hash-browns: Waffle-House or Denny's??

Do you think that guy in the corner looks like Cliff Claven from Cheers?

Do you know the way to San Jose?

Sorry...you were very polite about the whole 'stupid questions' that were inevitable to come.
But you've gotten enough good questions so far that I thought it was time to get kinda silly.
Plus, if you actually answered these questions in your FAQ's I think that would be pretty amusing.

BTW - Saw the Raymer-voiceover narrative final-table on ESPN
and thought it was really good.
Lots of outstanding insight there. You also were able to dumb-it-down enough for the less-expert viewers without coming off as condescending (which is a pretty nifty trick).

kenberman
02-14-2005, 06:22 PM
How much of poker is luck?

How much of poker is bluffing?

"I'm a great poker player, and want to go pro. Do you think I should?"

pokerswami
02-15-2005, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about educating fish. The tools for educating yourself have always been there, and most of the fish never take advantage of them anyway.

More worrisome will be the extra traffic that might come here and further add to the signal-to-noise ratio. The only other option is to open my own forum on my site, but I really would rather not do that. I don't want to steal business, so to speak, from this forum that has been so good to me, and I don't want a forum of my own until and unless I have time to monitor it closely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

You stated:
More worrisome will be the extra traffic that might come here and further add to the signal-to-noise ratio. The only other option is to open my own forum on my site, but I really would rather not do that.

I believe you are correct not to burden the 2+2 forums with this extra traffic.

However, it is not correct to say that "The only other option is to open my own forum on my site, but I really would rather not do that."

You have many options. Reflecting your desire not to burden the site with increased noise, you can do neither.

You do not have to mention the 2+2 forums, and you do not have to open your own forum. You can do neither, and that is an appropriate option.

(No response needed.)

tek
02-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Gillette or Schick?

tek
02-15-2005, 12:54 PM
McDonalds, Burger King or Wendy's?

tek
02-15-2005, 12:55 PM
What were your robbers going to tie you up with before killing you?

reecelights
02-16-2005, 01:29 AM
Suggestion for a topic (since you've been playing online for at least a couple of years, and probably neede a little extra help on your taxes this year)...

How to report income and pay taxes for online poker winnings and losses.

Thanks,
Chuck

Cyrus
02-17-2005, 05:10 AM
FAQ on WSOP:

How do you take care of the pimples and the other nasty staff that grow on your behind from sitting down for days on end?

mosch
02-17-2005, 02:15 PM
The store would be far more helpful if you offered a smaller selection of items on the front page. Doing so would imply, hopefully correctly, that you're recommending the best materials available.

As it stands, it just looks like a list of every poker book ever written, with no regard towards quality or usefulness.

mosch
02-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Don't include the date at the top of the page. It incorrectly implies that the page was always updated today. It manages to be even less useful since it grabs the date from the client's clock, which might not even be the right day.

Greg (FossilMan)
02-18-2005, 05:36 AM
Thanks. It is happening. The front page will be FossilMan specific merchandise soon, with a link to books and such I recommend, and a second link to other books you can buy.