PDA

View Full Version : I've succeeded in building a big pot, now what?

coinflip
02-12-2005, 12:41 AM
Literally the first hand at the table, so no reads.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $2. Hero posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

I rule at table selection.

Flop: (16 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Not really happy to see this capped 4 ways, but on a board like this people could be pumping draws.

Turn: (20 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero folds ...

Thoughts on the turn fold? Standard here? I had no idea how many outs I had or if I might be drawing dead, and I face the prospect of a 3-bet/cap behind me, but the pot is big. I'm thinking I'm probably behind to two pair or a set, or perhaps a made flush, and anyone with a club has a draw to a 4th /images/graemlins/club.gif on the river ...

coinflip
02-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Bump for the morning crowd. Apologies if this is standard; I'm new to 2/4 and hoping for a line check here.

bakku
02-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Ugh, this pot is huge but I think the fold you made was prudent.

mtdoak
02-12-2005, 09:54 AM
With no reads, You can fold this here.

wowacedude
02-12-2005, 10:29 AM
I would want some thoughts on the flop, for me that is a harder decision than the turn.

coinflip
02-12-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would want some thoughts on the flop, for me that is a harder decision than the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's hard about the flop? We've got top pair 2nd kicker. Surely you're not folding here?

I'd be less scared on the turn if a /images/graemlins/club.gif hadn't fallen, and the decision would be harder. On the flop I'm figuring people are pumping either a set, a flush draw, or maybe two pair or a horribly LAG top pair. I'm ahead only of top pair, have odds to counterfeit two pair, and am in bad shape against a set or a flush. Assigning a really low probability to being up against only top pair hands, I figured a fold was prudent ...

colgin
02-12-2005, 01:32 PM
The turn fold seems like a no brainer to me. Unless you are at an entire table of maniacs you are badly beat here and most likely drawing dead.

afk
02-12-2005, 01:50 PM
I think you played this fine, coinflip. I'd fold it on the turn as well.

coinflip
02-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Thanks to all for the comments. I posted this because I'd put UTG and MP1 (the primary turn aggressors) on likely a set or a flush, and it turns out I had both beat when I folded. Fortunately (?) CO had a set so the fold was still correct, but my read was totally off and if CO hadn't been there, the fold would have been horrible.

Any comments on if this sort of aggression is an anomoly or standard at 2/4? I posted another hand where I was bluffed out (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=smallholdem&amp;Number=1709938 &amp;Forum=,All_Forums,&amp;Words=&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;M ain=1709938&amp;Search=true&amp;where=&amp;Name=25917&amp;daterang e=&amp;newerval=&amp;newertype=&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyp rev=#Post1709938) of a huge pot by Q-high, and it's shaken my hand-reading skills a bit.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $2. Hero posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (20 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero folds, CO calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (28 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls $2 (All-In), CO calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 30.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has 8c Ah (two pair, aces and eights).
MP1 has Ad 6c (one pair, aces).
CO has 9h 9d (three of a kind, nines).
Outcome: CO wins 30.50 BB. </font>