PDA

View Full Version : How sick is this? (Low content)

Upright Bill
02-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 :#A500AF(The Lucky Jerk)/ calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 :#A500AF(The Lucky Jerk)/ calls.

Flop: (5 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

I flopped the nut straight! Yippee for me!!

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, The Lucky Jerk calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Not real happy with this, but I've still got the nut straight.

What can he have????

River: (5.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Crap! Maybe if I bet he'll fold.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

The Lucky Jerk was holding 93 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

wax311
02-12-2005, 12:48 AM
That sucks. At least he didn't RAISE YOU on the river!

Actually, Lucky Jerk's play wasn't bad. His preflop call from BB was questionable, but his postflop play was fine and he at least restrained himself from raising without the nut straight on the turn.

Dead
02-12-2005, 01:07 AM
No, all of villain's play was terrible. Limping with 93s from MP is terrible, and his postflop play was absolutely awful. Hero raised preflop from the SB, and all that this guy had on the flop was the ass end of a one-card gutshot straight draw. It was awful, definitely.

But that's what you want.

You want 9 "lucky jerks" at your table, although I don't think it's fair to call him a jerk. I'm sure that the original poster doesn't think that this villain is a jerk when Hero hits quad aces on the flop and villain calls him all the way.

Upright Bill
02-12-2005, 01:18 AM
No, the name "Lucky Jerk" was supposed to be funny. I learned a while ago that "Bad Beats" are a sign that I'm at the right table. I thought this was the poker table equivilent of a joke, i.e. flop the nuts and split with 93.

carsonj
02-12-2005, 01:27 AM
see what you're missing is that although you had the nuts, he had the lower open ended straight draw, and then he hit his straight, i might call down too in his position. he certainly did get lucky though to split it with you..

bottomset
02-12-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why does it matter, there is absolutely no way to make the board not play ... you can raise it back and forth a million times its still getting split

flopwell
02-12-2005, 02:29 AM
Party Poker is laughing all the way to the bank /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

wax311
02-12-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
his postflop play was absolutely awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

The villain had the ass end of an open-ended straight draw, not a gutshot.

The preflop call was bad, but the villain's postflop (flop, turn) play was fine. Hero raised, but one can't assume that a preflop raiser has an ace every time. Let's be generous and assume that the raiser (Hero) has an ace 50% of the time he raises from the small blind. The villain can count 6 outs in his hand, four 8's and 50% of four A's, for pot odds of 6.7:1. He can estimate that he will get an extra 1-2BB when he hits, so calling 1SB in a 6SB pot is affordable with those odds. The call on the flop was profitable.

Turn card - K. Villain made a straight but fears that Hero does have that ace after betting into him again, so he just calls. Good play.

River - push.

The Jerk's postflop play was fine.

Dead
02-12-2005, 03:58 AM
Yes you're completely correct.

I guess I need sleep. For some reason I thought Hero just had the ass end of the gutshot.

Preflop limp definitely bad though.

wax311
02-12-2005, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why does it matter, there is absolutely no way to make the board not play ... you can raise it back and forth a million times its still getting split

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, I'm saying that it would suck to get drawn out of half the pot only to have the villain try to steal the other half by raising you as if you were an idiot.