PDA

View Full Version : Bad player to my right raises big

theredpill5
02-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Bad player who about 15 minutes ago moved all-in preflop with 7 7. Now he is raising $8 preflop in a .25/.50 NL game.

Hero $63
Villain $42

Hero has Q Q

Villain raises to $8
Hero calls
Everyone folds

Flop: 9c 7s 2s

Villain moves all-in for $34
Hero ?

This was a tough call for me. Even though he previously moved all-in for $35 preflop with 7 7 , I can see him having K K or A A .

I felt I could put my money in better spots so I chose to fold. Am I crazy ?

JoeTable
02-12-2005, 12:26 AM
I do believe I call here. Were you only going to call an all in bet if a Q fell?

theredpill5
02-12-2005, 12:30 AM
yeah . Maybe I've been reading too many bad beat horror stories on these forums about someone having QQ and getting beat by KK .

He's a terrible player. He goes all-in about 50 - 60 % of the time on the flop.

I almost folded preflop. Maybe I'm a little too afraid of losing a buy-in. The way I looked at it is that he has one of 4 hands. AA KK JJ or even QQ . I'm ahead of only one of those hands and breaking even with Q Q . Is it wrong to think this way ?

Given his preflop raise I guess I could only assume all of my chips would be in the middle . I'm not big on putting a whole buy-in into a pot with Q Q . KK in this position and I'm definitely reraising all-in preflop and definitely calling his all-in on the flop.

For this play to be profitable, I'd have to be right more than 50 % of the time. But the way I saw it, he could have done this play with any 4 of those hands. 2 times he will have AA KK and one time he will have JJ so I saw it as a losing play.

grouchie
02-12-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The way I looked at it is that he has one of 4 hands. AA KK JJ or even QQ .

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you put him on only one of those 4 hands when you just said that you've seen him make this same move with pocket 7's, and he is going all in on the flop a lot of the time?

theredpill5
02-12-2005, 01:10 AM
He pushed in preflop with 7 7 . You are right. I should have called. I saw him push on a previous hand with pair of 6's and J kicker. ( J 6 ) . unreal.

bholdr
02-12-2005, 01:14 AM
i look at these situations from two different perspectives that are contradictory.

I would probably say call- i'd be betting that he was holding A9, TT, JJ, a flush draw, etc. and if he's a mainiac, and he's been acting crazy, and he's lucky enough to have AA KK 99 77 or 22, well... that happens.

then again, if he's that bad, you'll win anyway. why not wait and let him bet at the nuts? that was a big preflop raise...

nah. if you're confidant that he's a bad player or a mainiac, call it, IMHO.

theredpill5
02-12-2005, 01:44 AM
Is the devil laughing at me ? Why is it that everytime I fold a hand I otherwise would have played , I flop something huge. Guy's first hand at the table. He raises $3 and I think wow, first hand, and he's raising. I fold my Q J . Flop is A T K . Rainbow. I have the nuts. God damn it !! yesterday, I folded A 6 suited spades to a raise only to flop the nut flush.

JoeTable
02-12-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah . Maybe I've been reading too many bad beat horror stories on these forums about someone having QQ and getting beat by KK .

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes QQ runs into KK or AA. But with no overs on the flop and absent any specific read, especially shorthanded, you have to figure you're ahead.

[ QUOTE ]
He's a terrible player. He goes all-in about 50 - 60 % of the time on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet he made you lay down QQ. Hmmm...

ginko
02-12-2005, 04:39 AM
If the player was a rock, I'd fold. But he's not. Only 2 hands beat you. And you beat AK/AQ/AJ/A10/AX -- JJ-22. And this is giving him to much credit even...

I'd push allin preflop for the sheer fact that you would second guess yourself on a K92 flop. If he pushes you will assume he has the K even though he has NOTHING.

This guy gambles and plays crazy. I'd push 1010 preflop vs him... If you lose the hand rebuy and take his stack the next one..

bholdr
02-12-2005, 07:14 AM
that happens too, but long run, you'll be ahead. it's what makes people play too many hands.

A6s can call a raise. (in position) it's about as good as the suited connectors- 5-10% rule applies

ipp147
02-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Hi theredpill,

I haven't read the other responses but CALL.

[ QUOTE ]
This was a tough call for me. Even though he previously moved all-in for $35 preflop with 7 7 , I can see him having K K or A A .

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, do you see dead people too?

I can see him having any pocket pair from AA to 22/AK/AQ/A9/A7 any two spades etc etc etc

If you are uncomfortable with having him on your right either switch tables or get up and try and get a seat on his right. Then limp-reraise/check-raise the hell out of him with your big hands.

ps - Your posting style seems to have improve by about 500% but from you still seem to be playing a little scared.

Make sure you are adequately bankrolled and trust yourself more.

ipp147

theredpill5
02-12-2005, 09:38 AM
My posting has improved because I'm making more money. LOL. I'm averaging about $100 / day now. I haven't been under $100 for about a week now except for that crazy $200 loss day I had 2 days ago. I would have made $200 tonight had I called that bozo. Am I adequately bankrolled ? I have about 3000 dollars and play .25/.50 NL . I have no idea and if someone told me that I wasn't adequately bankrolled I'd still play I think. I am getting good but I still have leaks. Do you play T 9 o or 7 8 o at all ? I do. I think this might be another leak. I want to plug these leaks. Ok , appreciate it.

ipp147
02-12-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My posting has improved because I'm making more money. LOL. I'm averaging about $100 / day now. I haven't been under $100 for about a week now except for that crazy $200 loss day I had 2 days ago. I would have made $200 tonight had I called that bozo. Am I adequately bankrolled ? I have about 3000 dollars and play .25/.50 NL . I have no idea and if someone told me that I wasn't adequately bankrolled I'd still play I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

$3000 is more than enough for a $25 buy-in. I would say that someone playing alot would do well to have perhaps 30 buy-in's.

That doesn't mean you should move up though I would determine whether to move up or not on your BB/100 in Pokertracker over 100,000+ hands.

[ QUOTE ]
I am getting good but I still have leaks. Do you play T 9 o or 7 8 o at all ? I do. I think this might be another leak. I want to plug these leaks. Ok , appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are talking full ring games here right?

I don't play offsuit connectors alot. I would play T9/98o in the CO or button with at least 4-5 limpers in front of me. I would complete them from the SB as well.

You need a lot of people in the pot with you to play offsuit connectors in the party games as the stack sizes(50BB stacks) wreck your implied odds.

If I had a 100+BB stack AND an EP raiser had a similar sized stack then I might call an offsuit connector in position if he is aggro postflop.

If you think a preflop call is marginal I would be inclined to call if it is suited and dump it if it is unsuited.

vanHelsing
02-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Push the flop! This is a maniac and you will be ahead >95% of the time. Additionaly you don't want to play guessing games against this type of player if an overcard flops.

Now that you called PF and hit a next to perfect flop, folding to a push (from maniac) is terrible. You didn't have the odds to call PF just for set value. I'd guess even folding PF has a better expectation than your line.

You said he acts like a maniac and you said you put him on JJ-AA. I can't follow you here.

You say you are making 100$ a day. Over how many hands is this - 10K, 50K, 100K? Don't draw conclusions about how you are doing too fast, otherwise tiltcity won't be far next time you catch a cold streak. Get off this short-term-result-oriented-thinking-trap!

Sephus
02-12-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would determine whether to move up or not on your BB/100 in Pokertracker over 100,000+ hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

baaad advice. if your bankroll comes from winnings at your current level and you have 40 buyins at the next level, there's an excellent chance that you are costing yourself a lot by not moving up immediately.

theredpill5
02-12-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm realizing that I'm really not that good. I think I'm okay and I know now what games I can beat and what ones I can't and I'm leaving the ones that I can't beat these days and thus the profits.

Van,

Not sure how many hands as the sites I play on aren't compatible with Poker Tracker. I don't have Poker Tracker anyway but I would definitely get it if I would ever go back to Party. I feel that I am a winning player these days but that is relative. I'm probably not a winning player on the $1/2 NL games but am a winner on the .25/.50 and under NL .

Well, 8 hour days usually one tabling on .25/.50 NL for last 2 weeks I've averaged about $100 / day.
Last night I made $150.

I doubt I can beat .50/1.00 NL as well as I beat .25/.50 NL . I would get less action and my edge would certainly be smaller. I was playing .50/1.00 NL last night though and made about $100 on that table but I got extremely lucky. I don't normally play .50/1.00 NL but I saw that the flop % was 65 % so I sat down. It was fishy alright.

theredpill5
02-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Here is what normally happens on my tables. I fold a lot of hands and sometimes 2 maybe 3 hours go by and I still haven't doubled up or even made a profit. I could be breaking even. Then I get a hand and hit the flop and someone doubles me up. There's $50 . After that I stay at the table with my big stack so everyone is intimidated and my stack just keeps growing for some reason. I've really never had my stack go back down once it has hit the $100 mark. So I bought in for $50 and I usually leave when I hit the $150 to $180 mark. I've never reached the $200 mark yet on these tables. I think I'm too conservative perhaps and maybe just too impatient so I leave the table and logout.