PDA

View Full Version : raising vs posters

TStoneMBD
02-11-2005, 11:59 PM
20/40 TS 7handed

I am in the hijack seat with Q8hh. CO posts a blind of $20, and the guy to my right posts $30. Posters in this hand are halfdecent/mediocre. All fold, Poster checks, I raise, CO calls, BB calls, Poster calls.

Flop: A73 with 1 heart.
2 checks, I bet, CO folds, BB folds, Poster calls.

Turn: Ac
Poster checks, I bet, Poster calls.

River: Q
Poster checks, I bet, Poster calls.

Should I limp, raise or fold this hand preflop? Should I have bet the turn after such a bad card fell for my hand?

lil feller
02-12-2005, 12:27 AM
You've already expressed complete disrespect for my opinion, but I'll go ahead and post anyway.

I think, based on your descriptions (which don't really help us here, I think a tight/loose in defending read here is more important than a good/bad overall anaylsis, but I digress) you should definately raise this Pre-flop.

This is actually a really good flop for you, unless you got called pre-flop by some random ace. I definately bet this flop and I would be super relieved that only the poster called.

I don't understand why you think the turn was bad for you...aside from another heart, the turn card doesn't really matter. After only the poster calls (this is the one you have position on, right?) this is another autobet. While the turn didn't help you, it couldn't possibly have hurt you. If he check/called with a 7 on the flop, he's probably gonna do it on the turn too regardless of the turn card.

I think the river is an easy bet for value, provided thats why you bet. He isn't folding a better hand here, obviously, but will call once again with his 7. I have a difficult time seeing an ace or any pocket pair in his hand here, as even a mediocre player would raise his option if folded to Preflop.

If he did infact have an ace, and was so weak that he checked/called preflop, and did it again after making trips on the turn (which is a good play, actually, provided he leads the river), but didn't lead out on the river, then I wouldn't classify him even as mediocre.

If your player descriptions were accurate (and provided we have the same idea of 'mediocre') it sounds like you got there on the river, and earned yourself some easy action for the rest of your session.

lf

TStoneMBD
02-12-2005, 01:13 AM
sorry if i was mean to you in the past feller, i dont remember what i said that was bad about you, but i do remember thinking that something you said was poor. regardless, thanks for your post. i didnt like the turn card because i thought it was possible that the villain would give me credit for an ace and would fold his pair a good portion of the time. after the ace pairs tho its increasingly likely that i am just bluffing which makes it easier for him to call me down.

lil feller
02-12-2005, 01:32 AM
I guess it depends on the player thinks of you. Generally speaking in my game when I raise PF most people put me on A-big or a pocket pair, and the ace pairing just makes them think "damn, lil feller might not have 3 aces, but he's definately got aces up...". If this guy thinks you'll PFR light here, then only another paint card helps you steal...a king would have been perfect.

lf

goofball
02-12-2005, 03:20 AM
The only change you might make it to check through the river against some very weakpassive opponents

Tommy Angelo
02-12-2005, 03:34 AM
I would have folded before the flop because 1)there was almost no chance that everyone would fold to a raise before the flop, and 2) there was not enough of a chance (for my taste) that both the cutoff and button would fold to a raise preflop, and 3) I wouldn't want to limp because being in the middle of the pack with middle cards does me no good, so 4) that leaves fold.

Tommy

Gabe
02-12-2005, 04:55 AM
"Should I have bet the turn after such a bad card fell for my hand?"

I think it was a good card for your hand.