PDA

View Full Version : Too Tight? Local Card Room

MeanGreenTT
02-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Luckily here in Tampa we have several outlet for tournaments, not necessarily the greatest structure in the world but I love playing live, just don't have the time like I do for on-line. Usually play once or twice a week.

Tonite I decided to try out the card room at Tampa Bay Downs as they spread a nightly tournament. Rounds are 20 minutes long with 1000 chips to start and blinds at 10/20, 100 entrants. Saw some familar faces from Derby Lane and from the conversation, I picked up that the play was more solid than at Derby but that suits me just fine /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Got my card and off to the table I go where I see 2 solid players I recognize from Derby as well as respect being given to a couple of the other "locals." Time to splash!

Not catching too much worthy of play and positional plays were taken away with solid play before me. On the Cutoff, I look down to finally find an Ace but the mate is a lowly 9 and not suited. Blinds are 25/50 and I'm at T900. One early limper then LMP makes it 150 to go. He's one I recognize from Derby and I know he doesn't play trash.

What's the play here, thanks!

Chief911
02-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Fold.

Unless you think he's tight enough that you could push him off his hand, AND that he has a hand he can be pushed off.

I think this is a pretty clear fold. You can't bet half your chips to 3x raise him. So is allin or fold. Or I suppose you could call. But then the flop comes Axx, where are you?

Nick

ThrillFactor
02-11-2005, 11:38 PM
easy fold in my book.

MeanGreenTT
02-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, really appreciate it!

Back at it again tomorrow with a little better results hopefully /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did fold it and I know you can't reverse justify because of a particular Flop but damn was it sweet!

And yes, I'll be folding it the future faced with a simliar siutation. Had the raiser just limped I might have chose to limp along to see a Flop cheaply but who knows....thanks again!

mjohnson406
02-12-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Had the raiser just limped I might have chose to limp along to see a Flop cheaply but who knows....thanks again!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would only limp along if it's A9s, another suited drawing hand, or pair looking for a set. By limping, you are encouraging other limpers and looking to hit a big hand where you can extract a lot of chips.

If you want to play A9 off, you would want raise to 500 push out the blinds and the limper. Of course, that's half your stack so it would have to be an all-in. In the end, that's a bad idea. The best play is folding.

suited_ace
02-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Fold in a heartbeat. You said it yourself, he doesn't play trash. Remember that t150 is more than 15% of your stack.