PDA

View Full Version : Best Run Stories?

Seth Money
02-11-2005, 11:17 PM
I don't post much on here, actually I just lurk around but I was curious to see what was the biggest or best run any individual has had playing tournaments over a course of a day, days, or a week.

Last summer my roommate owed me $75 dollars so instead of paying me in cash he put it in my idle Party poker account. I wasn't really strapped for cash so I just messed around with it playing a few 10 to 30 dollar tournaments. I preceded to win or place in 3 of 4 them. I had the whole weekend off, so I just continued to play, parlaying what I won into 30 to 50 to 100 dollar tourneys. It was pretty amazing. I seemed to place in almost every tourney, and if I didnt in one, I would come in first or second in another. I ended up playing 3 200+15 tourneys at one time, winning one, coming in 3rd in the other, and not placing in the other. In the matter of like 36 hours I had turned that 75 dollars into 1900. It was one of the most amazing runs I had ever made, was curious if you guys had any stories of that nature.
Thanks guys, appreciate all the posts on here. Great reading material

SethMoney

Oluwafemi
02-11-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't post much on here, actually I just lurk around but I was curious to see what was the biggest or best run any individual has had playing tournaments over a course of a day, days, or a week.

Last summer my roommate owed me $75 dollars so instead of paying me in cash he put it in my idle Party poker account. I wasn't really strapped for cash so I just messed around with it playing a few 10 to 30 dollar tournaments. I preceded to win or place in 3 of 4 them. I had the whole weekend off, so I just continued to play, parlaying what I won into 30 to 50 to 100 dollar tourneys. It was pretty amazing. I seemed to place in almost every tourney, and if I didnt in one, I would come in first or second in another. I ended up playing 3 200+15 tourneys at one time, winning one, coming in 3rd in the other, and not placing in the other. In the matter of like 36 hours I had turned that 75 dollars into 1900. It was one of the most amazing runs I had ever made, was curious if you guys had any stories of that nature.
Thanks guys, appreciate all the posts on here. Great reading material

SethMoney

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a pretty good one.

JoeTable
02-11-2005, 11:36 PM
My best SnG run was 5 straight wins in the $20's. Last night I had a nice run at the 6 max NL tables though. In the span of about an hour, I ran $100 into $600 via lots of AA vs. KK or QQ, floppings sets vs. overpairs, hitting flushes, straights, or whatever else. Nirvana.

skipperbob
02-12-2005, 12:13 AM
My bird-brained Son and his idiot-savant friend turned a $250 poker-tourny buyin into $19,000 in one night in Mesquite,Nv.....They then turned the nineteen-large into ATM run for more $$$ by dawn....No broads...Sweet!

Daliman
02-12-2005, 03:58 AM
In Late january 2004, I Had gone on a losing streak of about 11k in 2 weeks after making 13k in 10 days before that, but had cahed out 8k of it to pay bills. I owed a friend online 3k, we had a ton of bills, I was working 3 jobs to pay for the baby that had just come, and my wife had to quit her job with a pharmaceutical company and was wondering if she could still work in the industry after being slandered by a co-worker. I had $52 in my Party poker account, and was broke everywhere else. This was the last amount of $$$ I would be able to deposit for a long time.
I got on a 1-2 NL cash table on PP. Right away, i lost $18 when a guy beat my kings with fours when I went allin preflop and he called me. Luckily, he only had $18, so that's all I lost, or my life could very well be very different right now...
A couple hands later, I had $28 left, and went allin for the last 16 of it on the river holding jack high, fairly certain I could get the same guy to lay down his hand. He did. Now had $45 or so, and by the end of the night, I had won $242. I decided to play a $55 SNg, lost, then played a $100 SNG, and got 2nd place. I played some 5-10 and ran the $$$ into about 750, and I played a couple $200's on PP, expecting the games to be tough. They were'nt at all, but I still lost those 2. Never one for bankroll concerns, I played another $215 and won it. Over the next couple of days, I worked the $$$ up to $2000, and tried playing 2 at a time. That was no problem, so I went to 4 right away and saw no discernable dropoff in my earn. I ended up making 11k+ in february in only 140 or so tourneys, and I was averaging $70 per for my first 300 $200+15's. I can't say I haven't looked back since, but I am positive things would not be nearly as good for me as they are right now if that guy happened to call an $18 bluff.

Bad as I run at times, I try to look back on this as the beginning of my best run ever.

P.S. Also, I ended up doing well enough at these to quit my job selling tires and make as much by the middle of april as I had made the whole previous year, Climaxing at me being about +95k by mid-july. So $28 to 95k in <6 months.

JoeTable
02-12-2005, 04:17 AM
That's a cool story. $18 man...nice.

bigredlemon
02-12-2005, 06:04 AM
I lost about 12 buy ins today. It seems like everytime I go in with a decent hand, I'd either be up against a bigger hand that standds up or against a dominated hand that sucks out. I know I'm not playing loose because I'm only seeing 17% of flops right now, including free peeks from the blinds.

raptor517
02-12-2005, 06:28 AM
17% is WAY too high.

bigredlemon
02-12-2005, 06:55 AM
What do you consider to be a good percentage outside of blinds?

raptor517
02-12-2005, 07:07 AM
ugh, well, i play prolly tighter than anyone else early, and looser than anyone else late. sooooo, i duno a percentage, but it would be very low. i just clicked on my show statistics button for my short session, 2233 hands, 10% flop seen. thats counting all the pushing that i do towards the end getting called. sooo, i say quit playin suited connectors, and fold AQ /images/graemlins/wink.gif

J-Lo
02-12-2005, 12:22 PM
After depositing $75 in my stars account, i messed around in the penny games, and then one saturday moved up to the $25 game, lost all of my bankroll except $2...

Back to the penny tables, and used those $2 to my current role of $3k+

I had a run or +$1050 2 weeks ago in 7 days at the $15+1 turbos-- only 140 SNG's...

DBowling
02-12-2005, 02:28 PM
thats a pretty crazy/inspirational story. glad it all worked out for ya.

tallasudude
02-12-2005, 02:40 PM
My friend was going home for the weekend and my friends were bored so we stayed up all night playing poker and video games in my dorm room. I set my friend up with a poker account so we had 2 online accounts active, x-box running, and music blasting. Earlier that night I turned 75.00 into 350 which i was pumped about. I got the 350 up to 1,000 and decided to play a 200/15 which I got 2nd in. I just kept winning. I had about 3,000 when I started playing 4 at a time. WHEN MY INTERNET CONNECTION FAILS!!! My friend on the other account was freaking out because he was in a 5/1 tournament and he didnt want to lose(while I am in $860.00 worth of tournaments). Any way I ended the night 9 minutes before my first class started. I ran to class with zero hours of sleep but an extra 8k in my pocket.

Daliman
02-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Not to be a jerk, but you made 8k in one night playing mainly $200 SNG's? It sounds like from your post it was your first foray into them also.

I hate to do it, but I gotta call bullshi[/b]t here.

Oluwafemi
02-12-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to be a jerk, but you made 8k in one night playing mainly $200 SNG's? It sounds like from your post it was your first foray into them also.

[/ QUOTE ]

that qualifies for a run don't it?

Mr_J
02-12-2005, 03:26 PM
$1200 over 45 sngs at the $33s. A 36 buy-in upswing when you are just starting out is pretty nice.

mikey checks
02-12-2005, 04:11 PM
i play 3/6, 5/10 and $100NL

last night i decided to play 3 200 sngs, came in 1st, 1st and 3rd

- $215 x 3 = 645
= 1755

1hr 45minutes

Daliman
02-12-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that qualifies for a run don't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it does, if it's true.

johnnybeef
02-12-2005, 04:56 PM
my best run was not online, it was in a couple of local tourneys. on a friday night in oct. i sat in a 27 person $20 tourney that i had played in twice and had taken 1st and 2nd in. this time i placed 2nd and pulled $140 out of...the very next night i played in a local tourney that was a $100 buy in with 135 people in it. i won it, it paid me $5400. the next monday my roommate invited me to a spread limit dealers choice game with the max bet being $10 pre flop and $20 there after. this game was full of maniacs who were raising my flushes with wired pairs. i pulled $1000 out of it. so after all was said and done, i turned $20 of my own into $6500 in the matter of four days. this is my 4 TDs at polk high, and i can't wait for it to happen again /images/graemlins/wink.gif

johnnybeef
02-12-2005, 04:57 PM
what bet did you lose to get that avatar?

Daliman
02-12-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my best run was not online, it was in a couple of local tourneys. on a friday night in oct. i sat in a 27 person $20 tourney that i had played in twice and had taken 1st and 2nd in. this time i placed 2nd and pulled $140 out of...the very next night i played in a local tourney that was a $100 buy in with 135 people in it. i won it, it paid me $5400. the next monday my roommate invited me to a spread limit dealers choice game with the max bet being $10 pre flop and $20 there after. this game was full of maniacs who were raising my flushes with wired pairs. i pulled $1000 out of it. so after all was said and done, i turned $20 of my own into $6500 in the matter of four days. this is my 4 TDs at polk high, and i can't wait for it to happen again /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY impressive.

johnnybeef
02-12-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you, coming from you this means a lot. i wish i wouldnt have been such a dumbass as i lived like a rockstar up until about two weeks ago when i went broke...im now humbly playing the 22s to try and get back up. rest assured, i will not be such a spendthrift when i do get back up.

rustyboy
02-12-2005, 06:31 PM
I know my story isn't quite as exciting as everyone elses, but the first time I ever put money in PP, it was about 7 PM on a friday. I turned that initial $50 into $450 by midnight playing only $10 then $20 SnGs. I was sure I was the best player in the world, only to lose it all minus $100 I withdrew by Saturday night.

ZebraAss
02-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Yea it was my first time playing them. But I played under a different name. $75.00 into $8,200.00. The exact date was November 22nd, 2004

100% true.