PDA

View Full Version : Games to Play While Bored in Class...

Tron
02-11-2005, 09:30 PM
All these threads about drinking games and board games got me thinking, what about good old fashioned paper games?

My personal favorites for playing with an equally-bored classmate are Dots and Kill, Marry, F*ck. Thoughts?

freakintemp
02-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Is dots the box game?

Freakin

mason55
02-11-2005, 09:41 PM
tic tac toe

the ultimate classic

DrPublo
02-11-2005, 09:57 PM
If you have another person, you can play connect 4. Draw a 6x7 grid and agree on which way is "gravity". Use Xs and Os.

It's awesome.

The Doc

Nottom
02-12-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is dots the box game?

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if it is, but I used to play that all the time back in High School with a friend during math class. We eventually got boared and decided to play it in 3-D which was pretty cool.

We eventually wanted something new and tried 4-D but our brains couldn't handle it.

Tron
02-12-2005, 04:09 AM
Yeah, Dots is the box game... And just to be clear, that's the one where you arrange a grid of dots, and one person connects two of them (vertically or horizontally), then the next person goes, and you get a point for each square you complete.

Scotch78
02-12-2005, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is dots the box game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but it's a flawed game. There's a no-lose strategy.

Scott

MrFeelNothin
02-12-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought everybody figured that cheating strategy out in about 5th grade. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif The only true dots game is when both players agree before the game that you have to take a box if you can! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I'm so weird. And drunk.

Reef
02-12-2005, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have another person, you can play connect 4. Draw a 6x7 grid and agree on which way is "gravity". Use Xs and Os.

It's awesome.

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]
fuck ya

Shoe
02-12-2005, 05:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought everybody figured that cheating strategy out in about 5th grade. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif The only true dots game is when both players agree before the game that you have to take a box if you can! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I'm so weird. And drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you always want to take a box anyways? When you get a box you get to go again.... so I don't see why you would ever not want to take a box.

bholdr
02-12-2005, 07:21 AM
this isn't really a game, but try very hard to put anything your prof. says into sexual context. try not to laugh out loud. doesn't work in math, etc.

spamuell
02-12-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It's awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate pointless posts with nothing to add and I try not to make them, but this is a fantastic idea and I can't believe I never thought of it. Actually I vaguely recall suggesting it once and everyone calling me a retard and saying it wouldn't work, but I'll try again.

housenuts
02-12-2005, 10:45 AM
My favourite in high school was trying to make palindromes. A palindrome is a word that is spelled the same forwards and backwards.

The best I ever came up with was: Ya Bev I tan at a native bay

other examples that I did not come up with are:
A man a plan a canal panama
Ten animals I slam in a net
race car

spamuell
02-12-2005, 10:53 AM
nurses run

palindromes are lame and so for 8 year olds. having said that, i'm trying to think of some now without googling.

maria_88
02-12-2005, 12:11 PM
I saw this link for the first time...

Thanks......

Monty Cantsin
02-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Dots and Boxes is non-trivial.

Elwyn Berlekamp (http://math.berkeley.edu/~berlek/) is the David Sklansky of Dots and Boxes.

This book (http://www.akpeters.com/product.asp?ProdCode=1292) is the TOP of Dots and Boxes.

It's possible with a little study to kick your friends' asses in this game consistently. It's not exactly the world's funnest game however.

Berlekamp is a stone killer of combinatorial game theory. I wish he'd get interested in Poker.

/mc

Shoe
02-12-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this isn't really a game, but try very hard to put anything your prof. says into sexual context. try not to laugh out loud. doesn't work in math, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol.... one time my professor wrote pubic on the board instead of public. We could not stop laughing for the entire class.