PDA

View Full Version : Josh Ariah Interview in Bluff

xxx
02-11-2005, 08:10 PM
So I was wondering from the WSOP footage last year if Josh was a poker player who liked to gamble, or a gambler who was a good poker player.

In the article he describes how he got broke at the 2002 WSOP, then came home and got a loan repayment (and more money as a loan) from a korean friend Woo. Then he bet the whole amount on Woo making 70/100 free throws (he made it with none to spare). Then he used his 100bb bankroll that night to play at a 15-30 limit game helped him get his stake back.

Looks like he is a gambler at heart who happens to be great at poker.

slickpoppa
02-11-2005, 08:15 PM
It doesn't surprise me that Josh is not the most intelligent person when it comes to managing his bankroll. He has stated a couple of times that he thinks that tournament poker is more profitable than side games, which is just plain wrong.

Autocratic
02-11-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't surprise me that Josh is not the most intelligent person when it comes to managing his bankroll. He has stated a couple of times that he thinks that tournament poker is more profitable than side games, which is just plain wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's easy to see how someone who has made the kind of money he has in tournaments recently might think that.

Walter Pullis
02-11-2005, 09:01 PM
I'd like to expand on this question of making money by playing
tournaments vs ring games. I'll talk about myself here. I have
a "day job" and only play tournaments. Here I know exactly how much I can lose. I don't have any risk that I will go broke some night while I am on "tilt". No risk of losing big money over a lifetime of play has to be a good thing.

A_C_Slater
02-11-2005, 10:43 PM
You have the story wrong. I read this magazine at the poker room when waiting for a table (they have complimentary free copies) and Woo didn't have to make 70 of 100 free throws. The bet was 70 out of 100 three pointers! And Arieh bet all the money he had in the world on this insane proposition.

Note: Michael Jordan does not have a 70% 3 point percentage.

Beerfund
02-11-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have the story wrong. I read this magazine at the poker room when waiting for a table (they have complimentary free copies) and Woo didn't have to make 70 of 100 free throws. The bet was 70 out of 100 three pointers! And Arieh bet all the money he had in the world on this insane proposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

A three point % in the NBA isn't the same as just casually shooting 3 pointers. There were 3 or 4 guys on my HS team that could make 70 out of 100.

ZBTHorton
02-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Just as a point of reference.

If you are a great tourney player, and a HORRIBLE cash game player...(as some describe Phil Hellmuth to be)

Tourneys are much more profitable than cash games.

A_C_Slater
02-11-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A three point % in the NBA isn't the same as just casually shooting 3 pointers. There were 3 or 4 guys on my HS team that could make 70 out of 100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Casually shooting? The guy wagered $35,000 that he could do it. And he had to go around town collecting money owed to him before he could put that kind of cash up.

I understand what you mean though (pressure with blockers, shot clock, etc.)

Did you actually see these HS kids make 70 out of 100, or was this just a claim?

ZBTHorton
02-11-2005, 11:09 PM
It wouldn't be a problem for any GOOD HS or College player. Non less a pro.

xxx
02-11-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy cow! I was reading it at Borders while my wife was in line to pay. That makes it even more crazy. Woo was 5'5'' and had never played organized ball.

Oluwafemi
02-11-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If you are a great tourney player, and a HORRIBLE cash game player...(as some describe Phil Hellmuth to be)

[/ QUOTE ]

true, but i don't think Phil is a horrible cash game player--- just not a very good one. i think if he put his mind to it and his ego aside, he has the bankroll to become a world class one. it would still take time though.

TransientR
02-12-2005, 12:41 AM
I doubt that. Making 70 out of 100 3-pointers at NBA distance in one session isn't easy, even unimpeded. Fatique will often play a factor. In fact, I think your full of it.

Do you have any facts to back up your claim?

Frank

xxx
02-12-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt that. Making 70 out of 100 3-pointers at NBA distance in one session isn't easy, even unimpeded. Fatique will often play a factor. In fact, I think your full of it.

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this comment. In fact, the all-time NBA 3-point percent leader is Steve Kerr with 45.4%.

illab
02-12-2005, 02:07 AM
Most gyms don't have NBA distance three point lines, and I don't think its impossible once you get going. You just keep shooting a set shot(less tiring than jumpers) from the same spot.

Phil Hellmuth might not be a horrible cash game player but in the big games, you have to be better than not horrible to make some money against other pros.

TheBob
02-12-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this comment. In fact, the all-time NBA 3-point percent leader is Steve Kerr with 45.4%.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's hit percentage in games though. If you've ever watched an nba warmup or charity game you'll see that a whole bunch of them barely ever miss. I've seen alonzo mourning (a center) hit 8 of 12 or something from three.

slickpoppa
02-12-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but Josh has stated that tournaments are more profitable in general, not just for particular players:

[ QUOTE ]
PokerLizard: How does your strategy online vary from live games?

Josh: I haven't played much live lately. I think that in this day and age of poker, that it is much more profitable to do good in tournaments, so I don't want to spend my time that I could be using resting, playing in a live game.

[/ QUOTE ]

JoeTable
02-12-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's hit percentage in games though. If you've ever watched an nba warmup or charity game you'll see that a whole bunch of them barely ever miss. I've seen alonzo mourning (a center) hit 8 of 12 or something from three.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the greatest 3 pt. shooter in the history of the game is 45%. So lets pretend he's warming up. Does the greatest 3 pt. shooter in the history of the game miss 2 out of 10? How about a 5'5 poker geek with no apparent athletic ability? Seems like there might be a disparity, even in the most benign conditions. But wait, there's 35K on the line for the 5'5 dude with no athletic ability. I think there's a strong chance he could actually miss 4 out of 10.

TransientR
02-12-2005, 03:39 AM
Taking a 100 3-point shots without jumping may be less fatiguing in a certain sense, but you better have arms and shoulders of steel...:).

Watching Larry Bird win the 3-point shooting contest at the NBA All-Star game, one thing stood out in my mind, Bird was able to shoot all of his shots without jumping..but that was Bird, most of the other guys had to jump to get the distance, and they tired, and accuracy suffered. And these were top NBA 3-point shooting pros.

Of course, the time constraints were tight, and they had to move around the key, but making 70 of 100 3-pointers, even given 15 minutes and staying in one place....piece of cake? I think not.

Frank

tdarko
02-12-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you've ever watched an nba warmup or charity game you'll see that a whole bunch of them barely ever miss. I've seen alonzo mourning (a center) hit 8 of 12 or something from three.

[/ QUOTE ]
there is an enormous difference between casually knocking down some treys in warm ups and TRYING to knock down 70 out of 100. so dont think that if alonzo mourning TRIED to knock down 70 three pointers out of 100 he could do it because you saw him casually hit 8 out of 12 which is below 70% by the way.

TXTiger
02-12-2005, 04:21 AM
I'm really suprised there are people doubting whether the guy could make the shots. And actually using NBA 3 point percentages to back it up. This is terrible reasoning. Do you know what the record is for consecutive free throws made is? I don't know exactly but its well over 1000. Shooting is a very small part of what makes an NBA player great. Most of the greatest shooters in the world don't play in the NBA. They are guys that you have never heard of that that practice just shooting from a standstill. I would not bet against finding someone who can make 90%. I know that you can find someone who can make 99% from the free throw line.

JoeTable
02-12-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm really suprised there are people doubting whether the guy could make the shots. And actually using NBA 3 point percentages to back it up. This is terrible reasoning. Do you know what the record is for consecutive free throws made is? I don't know exactly but its well over 1000. Shooting is a very small part of what makes an NBA player great. Most of the greatest shooters in the world don't play in the NBA. They are guys that you have never heard of that that practice just shooting from a standstill. I would not bet against finding someone who can make 90%. I know that you can find someone who can make 99% from the free throw line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you freaking serious? A). You're still comparing a profressional basketball player to a 5'5 guy with no athletic ability and B). You're comparing a freethrow to a 3 pointer. Get real. No way that dude makes 70/100.

JoeTable
02-12-2005, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Taking a 100 3-point shots without jumping may be less fatiguing in a certain sense, but you better have arms and shoulders of steel...:).

Watching Larry Bird win the 3-point shooting contest at the NBA All-Star game, one thing stood out in my mind, Bird was able to shoot all of his shots without jumping..but that was Bird, most of the other guys had to jump to get the distance, and they tired, and accuracy suffered. And these were top NBA 3-point shooting pros.

Of course, the time constraints were tight, and they had to move around the key, but making 70 of 100 3-pointers, even given 15 minutes and staying in one place....piece of cake? I think not.

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

fatigue, lol. dude couldn't do it even if he got to take a nap and have a sandwich between every shot.

PITTM
02-12-2005, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you realize that a) the record for consecutive free throws made and how many an average person can make out of 100 are COMPLETELY unrelated right? also, i would venture to guess that the average nba free throw percentage is somewhere in the low 70s, meaning that the average nba player can barely do what you say someone with an unknown amount of basketball ability can do. questionable logic...

rj

TXTiger
02-12-2005, 04:51 AM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you freaking serious? A). You're still comparing a profressional basketball player to a 5'5 guy with no athletic ability and B). You're comparing a freethrow to a 3 pointer. Get real. No way that dude makes 70/100.

I guess some people just aren't going to "get it." The world record free throw guy was in his fifties I believe. He probably couldn't break 20 seconds in the 100 meter dash, but yet he had the "athletic ability" that you inexplicably think is important to make shot after shot after shot etc..

And I made no comparison to a professional basketball player. Maybe you should read again. Maybe you assumed that the world record holder was a professional player, which again shows a lack of understanding. The best shooter in the world does not play in the NBA. He is some guy that just shoots, but I already said that before. Maybe it will sink in. The fact that he is 5'5 and can't run or jump fast has zero correllation with his shooting ability.

And yeah I used the free throw comparison. Sorry but I don't know anything about the world recod for 3 point attempts. I thought is would be pretty obvious that if a guy can make a tremendous number of free throws without missing that some guy could make 70% of his 3 pointers.

NLfool
02-12-2005, 04:59 AM
you people smoke some good stuff. I agree NBA player shoot like 70% free throws. Regardless of their playing style they still practice free throws and shooting a very large percentage yet they only shoot ~70% 3 pointers are a different story, I think there's more to this story.

BTW high school kids no way they're making 70% 3's. Bird, Kerr, Paxon, Price I don't care how good they are they'd struggle to shoot 70% 3's uncontested

TXTiger
02-12-2005, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you realize that a) the record for consecutive free throws made and how many an average person can make out of 100 are COMPLETELY unrelated right? also

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you consider a person that will bet that much money on something to be average at it. Of course the average person couldn't. My point was that there are people who can.

[ QUOTE ]
i would venture to guess that the average nba free throw percentage is somewhere in the low 70s, meaning that the average nba player can barely do what you say someone with an unknown amount of basketball ability can do. questionable logic...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not totally sure I understand what you mean. I'm not using logic about the free throws, it's fact. People can make many in a row. But people who can do not have" an unknown ability in basketball." We know that they can shoot far better than NBA players. I don't know why people insist on the NBA comparison. Suppose we made it throwing a ping pong ball into a bucket at 25 feet. If a certain group of people practiced a rediculous amount as some do with shooting, they would be better than anyone else. Even without athletic ability. And if someone was willing to bet me a huge sum of money that they could throw the ball into the bucket 90 times out of a hundred. I would not want to take them up on the offer.

JoeTable
02-12-2005, 05:08 AM
He's still a profressional basketball player, and he wasn't in his fifties. The guy you're thinking of was Calvin Murphy, early thirties, and he had the purest touch of any player in his day. And you simply cannot compare free throws to 3 pointers. Can't.

JoeTable
02-12-2005, 05:11 AM
lol, are you even aware of what a degenerate gambler is willing to bet 35k on? I've heard of some pretty whack [censored]. Most notably, the guy who bet a 100K he'd get a boob job.

TXTiger
02-12-2005, 05:16 AM
A. Indeed he did. Ted St. Martin, 67, graduated from Naches Valley High School near Yakima in 1954. For the past 30 years, he has been a professional free-throw shooter, giving clinics and exhibitions throughout the country.

St. Martin broke his world record of 2,036 consecutive free throws on April 26, 1996 when he made 5,221 consecutive shots while giving a clinic at his home outside Jacksonville, Fla.

"I had a real home-court advantage that day," he said, joking. "The students and their parents wanted to see me shoot until I missed and that's how the record happened."

and just for kicks

The longest time to spin a regulation basketball on one finger, while maintaining the spin, is 3 hr 59 min by Zhao Guang (China) on January 29, 2003, in Shenyang, China. In the warm-ups for his attempt, taxi-driver Zhao was often able to spin the basketball for up to 6 hours!
Zhao can spin the ball on any of his fingers, although he swapped between his thumb and index finger in his record-breaking attempt. He can also perform the skill blindfolded!

People can do some crazy things.

TXTiger
02-12-2005, 05:22 AM
Calvin murphy. Thats a good one.

And you just can't compare free throws to 3 pointers huh. Just can't compare shooting a basketball to ... taking 3 steps back and .... shooting a basketball.

check out my other post so you don't live in Calvin Murphy ignorance forever.

I'm sure if some guy made over 5000 free throws in row it would impossible, impossible I say; for a person to take 3 steps back and make 70 out of a 100. Makes perfect sense. I give up.

StableHand
02-12-2005, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

People can do some crazy things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, this guy on Jay Leno the other week threw 49 grapes into his brother's mouth 12ft away. Or something similarly uninteresting.......

JoeTable
02-12-2005, 05:30 AM
You give Calvin Murphy a basketball and make him take 3 steps back from the free throw line and I bet he doesn't make half.

StableHand
02-12-2005, 05:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet he doesn't make half.

[/ QUOTE ]

$35K bet?

reubenf
02-12-2005, 06:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
there is an enormous difference between casually knocking down some treys in warm ups and TRYING to knock down 70 out of 100. so dont think that if alonzo mourning TRIED to knock down 70 three pointers out of 100 he could do it because you saw him casually hit 8 out of 12 which is below 70% by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't the point of warmups to warm up your muscles, not to figure out how to shoot baskets?

If someone can hit 66% while exercising their arms, I'm sure he can hit 70% while focusing on making baskets.

Sephus
02-12-2005, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You give Calvin Murphy a basketball and make him take 3 steps back from the free throw line and I bet he doesn't make half.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be one hell of a stupid bet.

tdarko
02-12-2005, 12:58 PM
in basketball its not so much warming up your muscles but trying to find your touch. you obviously have never played basketball but the best way to shoot is with a smooth effortless stroke and beofore the games pay attention to them, they make it look effortless. but when there is something on the line (win, loss, money etc) its more difficult to keep that smooth stroke.
example) an nba basketball players free throw % is better in practice than in a game where there isnt a man in his face or a shot clock to deal with, because there are more outside influences involved in a game free throw (win, loss, fan distraction).
what people dont realize is how the difficulty level always increases when something is riding on it, this is why we have great players and superstars...cause in practice everyone looks like a superstar.

Beerfund
02-12-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a fukcing moron! You obviously know jack shyt about basketball but you're pretty good at sounding like a jacka$$. My friend played 2 years at a community college and I would bet everything I have that he could make 70 out of 100. Don't reply to this just go away. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Tyler Durden
02-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Is someone going to post a link to this article or what?? JFC.

JoeTable
02-12-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a fukcing moron! You obviously know jack shyt about basketball but you're pretty good at sounding like a jacka$$. My friend played 2 years at a community college and I would bet everything I have that he could make 70 out of 100. Don't reply to this just go away. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask him to do it and find out. At any rate, it's one thing to ask a shooting specialist to make 70/100 3 pointers. Maybe he can. My point is there is virtually no way random Joe can do it. I've been playing basketball for 30 years, and have a pretty good jump shot and I don't think I'd make 20 out of 100 on a bet.

ace_in_the_hole
02-12-2005, 04:54 PM
From the original post it says the guy was to make 70 out of 100 free throws, so wouldnt that put this whole argument to rest. Or did I misread?

JoeTable
02-12-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From the original post it says the guy was to make 70 out of 100 free throws, so wouldnt that put this whole argument to rest. Or did I misread?

[/ QUOTE ]

somebody posted a correction later on that it was supposed to be 3's.

ace_in_the_hole
02-12-2005, 05:11 PM
oh, my bad /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TransientR
02-12-2005, 06:38 PM
The difference in distance between the free thrown line and the top of the key for a 3-pointer is 8 feet 9 inches. You don't think that makes much of a difference?

You should check out the numerous stats that show that shooting accuracy declines greatly with distance.

And again, you are talking 100 shots under pressure...do you know how easy it is for a few shots to go awry and suddenly your shooter is on "tilt."

Frank

hoyaboy1
02-12-2005, 07:11 PM
These were almost certainly not NBA distance threes since almost no gyms have the NBA line.

Sephus
02-12-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and have a pretty good jump shot and I don't think I'd make 20 out of 100 on a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok well then you suck at shooting unmolested 3-pointers.

the guy who made the bet obviously can make more than the average guy, or else he woudln't have made the bet in the first place.

Sephus
02-12-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The difference in distance between the free thrown line and the top of the key for a 3-pointer is 8 feet 9 inches. You don't think that makes much of a difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

if you can make 85% of your free throws it's not all that odd to be able to make 70% from the top of the key.

snowbank
02-13-2005, 12:58 AM
I read through a bunch of the posts, and there are probably only a couple posters in this thread who have any idea what they are talking about when it comes to being realistic about shooting. I once read somewhere that the most made out of 100 by an NBA player was 82.(NBA range; can't remember the player though)

I don't know what the whole question was regarding making 70/100 3's from college range, because I read through the posts real quick, but it is very possible, but not as easy as some people said.(ex. the guy who claimed 3-4 guys on his high school team could do it) I've shot in several of these 100 3 point shot bets, and I can assure you that 70/100 is doable. I've never had an opponent shoot under 50(all decent shooters though), so for those who were talking about Steve Kerr not being near 70%, it's a whole different ballgame from college range without 6'6" athletes jumping at you trying to block your shots. Much easier. If I had to make a guess how many Kerr would make from college range uncontested, I would probably guess 85. For what it's worth, my personal record is 78. I think it's funny that someone would bet $35K against someone hitting 70.(if I read that correctly about Arieh) I wish there were more people who wanted to gamble like that.

Your Mom
02-13-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you people smoke some good stuff. I agree NBA player shoot like 70% free throws. Regardless of their playing style they still practice free throws and shooting a very large percentage yet they only shoot ~70% 3 pointers are a different story, I think there's more to this story.

BTW high school kids no way they're making 70% 3's. Bird, Kerr, Paxon, Price I don't care how good they are they'd struggle to shoot 70% 3's uncontested

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong and it is not even close. Go watch a college team warm up before a game. The real good shooters will rarely miss. I played with a kid in high school who averaged about 2 points a game and would shoot 90 % on 3 pointers any other time but in the game. Fatigue and a little thing called Defense are what causes NBA players to miss.

vindikation
02-13-2005, 01:44 AM
Holy [censored] HOYABOY1!!!

Amazing suplex in your avatar! In the NFL none the less!

NLfool
02-13-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong and it is not even close. Go watch a college team warm up before a game. The real good shooters will rarely miss. I played with a kid in high school who averaged about 2 points a game and would shoot 90 % on 3 pointers any other time but in the game. Fatigue and a little thing called Defense are what causes NBA players to miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm really inclined to think even free shots from college distance/top of the key, high school distance is nearly impossible. And no I don't even think an NBA caliber shooter can 90% from the top of the key and I've been to few NBA, college, high school games.

I'd say we should gather your friend and I'm willing to make a prop bet up 1k-25k (less for friendly fun if you're close by and travel expenses time aren't too great)

Stipulations

a. over/under set at 90, out of 100 attempts maximum in a 1 hour time frame
b. regulation basketball court used, regulation men's basketball used
c. no extraneous devices (poles to launch/drop) the ball
d. distance from the ground to the rim is 10 ft regulation
e. regulation 3 point for high school/college is used 19 feet 9 inches to the rim
f. backboard used is regulation 72 inches wide, 42 inches high

I say we can meet up say in Vegas or LA with a bunch of 2+2ers who can watch/hold/ensure the integrity/have a few beers/laugh/root etc.

rerazor
02-13-2005, 02:43 AM
Shooting college length 3 pointers utilizes the same skill set as bowling, and it's just not very hard. If you use your legs properly the distance isn't a factor, it's just muscle memory and coordination.

NLfool
02-13-2005, 02:58 AM
hmm this could get interesting. Ok then I'll take all action up to/around 25k on it being under 90 out 100 made (19'9') from Your Mom's friend.

I wish we had this discussion Super Bowl sunday there would be a million side bets among my friends

snowbank
02-13-2005, 03:09 AM
It's obvious he doesn't know what he's talking about and wouldn't actually bet on it. If everyone who claimed certain things on this forum actually put money up on what they said, there would be some rich people on these boards.

Autocratic
02-13-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's obvious he doesn't know what he's talking about and wouldn't actually bet on it. If everyone who claimed certain things on this forum actually put money up on what they said, there would be some rich people on these boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

And, by default, some very poor ones.

REL18
02-13-2005, 03:53 AM
I was on my high school basketball shooting 100 three pointers not being guarded and having unlimited time i made 76/100 and I was not even a city all star I was on JV. offcourse i couldnt play defense and had asthma so i never got to play.

REL18
02-13-2005, 03:54 AM
what are u talking about steve kerr once said he made 54 threes in a row.

REL18
02-13-2005, 04:04 AM
Stop posting i was a JV highschool basketball player and made over 70 jesus its freaking easy if u get into rythm so guy probably got in rythm thats it. u can pop 20 straight if u realy on fire.

zaxx19
02-13-2005, 04:13 AM
Ya, and I once said I was a med student to a stripper in Vegas...whats your point?? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TransientR
02-13-2005, 04:43 AM
No that is wrong.

Nearly 9 feet in extra distance makes a big difference.

And this business about repeatability and "muscle memory." If it was that easy, pro bowlers would roll 300 every other game.

Frank

TransientR
02-13-2005, 04:45 AM
Yeah, and that wasn't NBA distance, and there was no money on it.

Frank

reubenf
02-13-2005, 04:50 AM
This is some poor reasoning.

[ QUOTE ]
but when there is something on the line (win, loss, money etc) its more difficult to keep that smooth stroke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your claim is that it's more difficult when something is on the line.

[ QUOTE ]
example) an nba basketball players free throw % is better in practice than in a game where there isnt a man in his face or a shot clock to deal with

[/ QUOTE ]

Your evidence is that it's more difficult with a bunch of other influencing factors.

TransientR
02-13-2005, 04:54 AM
NBA distance, not college three pointers, geez.

And again, under the pressure of a significant wager...

All this anecdotal: "I shot 75 at college distance," well, was that verified by someone other than you?

Look,

there are a million 300 game bowlers out there, 99% of whom are full of [censored], and even if they weren't, if money is involved, and people are watching...:).

Frank

amoeba
02-13-2005, 05:22 AM
NLfool, most good NBA shooters can shoot 70% + 3s. ever watch the 3 point contest during the all star game?

the reason that their 3 point averages are only usually around 30% is because they are GUARDED. unguarded, I have no doubt that good nba shooters can make 80% 3 point shots.

amoeba
02-13-2005, 05:25 AM
pro bowlers play on a very different oil pattern than your local bowling alley. I guarantee you pro bowlers can consistently shoot 270, 280 + at your local lane.

greygoo
02-13-2005, 07:54 AM
You are right. You don't even need NBA players for that. 3point shot contest is not a good example though, there is serious time pressure in it. Back when I was playing college ball, I could easily go 55-60 out of 100. I personally know at least a dozen shooters much better than me. 70 out of 100 is even somewhat more likely than 7 out of 10, because you can go on streak andd knock 10-12 in a row. Fatigue is not a factor and you don't even have to shoot real jumpshots.
I've been around basketball court for a long time. Any good professional long range shooter is capable of hitting over 80% during practice, if he is not rushing.

Btw, I've seen a former Soviet star, Eremin, who played in '72 Olympics (he is a coach now) shoot just for fun/pracitce - he never misses more than 1 out of 10.

tdarko
02-13-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your claim is that it's more difficult when something is on the line

[/ QUOTE ]
so your saying tasks aren't any more difficult when the pressure is on? haha thats just comical!

[ QUOTE ]
Your evidence is that it's more difficult with a bunch of other influencing factors.

[/ QUOTE ]
exactly! thank you for proving my point /images/graemlins/wink.gif

tdarko
02-13-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
70 out of 100 is even somewhat more likely than 7 out of 10, because you can go on streak andd knock 10-12 in a row.

[/ QUOTE ]
bad example, this works conversely too.

tdarko
02-13-2005, 02:43 PM
in a game, wide open unconstested how many 3's you think Kerr makes? from there it would have to go down from the non-game %. then had thousands of dollars to the mix.
i dunno i just think that this is a little harder than people think, i used to sit at the top of the key all day during practice and never miss but when my buddies and i would shoot for dollars (i know i know, but in college its meal money) it was a whole different story.

J_V
02-13-2005, 04:11 PM
I've hit 25 straight from 3 on more than one occasion. And that's with me moving around the arc and shooting off the dribble. I'm pretty sure I could hit 70/100 from 3 from the top of the arc (with a rebounder) on average when I was playing.

J_V
02-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Not a chance if you are talking NBA distance.

J_V
02-13-2005, 04:14 PM
I believe the most consecutive made free throws withotu a miss is somewhere between 2500 and 3000. And he missed because the gym closed down and he had to go outside.

tdarko
02-13-2005, 04:23 PM
this had nothing to do with shooting 3's and it was already posted in this thread.

nothumb
02-13-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing basketball for 30 years, and have a pretty good jump shot and I don't think I'd make 20 out of 100 on a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I get it, you're assuming that just because YOU have no range, nobody else does either.

NT

nothumb
02-13-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And this business about repeatability and "muscle memory." If it was that easy, pro bowlers would roll 300 every other game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know anything about bowling, do you? Throwing a strike on a PBA shot is a lot harder than making a 3-pointer. Adjusting to changing lane conditions, throwing a heavier ball twice as far, etc, etc make this not even close.

I would say 70% from college distance is way easier than rolling a perfect game on a PBA shot. I am a regular bowler with a 210+ average and I would have an easier time practicing the 3's than shooting 300 on a PBA shot. The number of people that could make 70% in the bet we are discussing is probably 100x or more the number of people who could average 210 on a PBA shot over ten games.

NT

J_V
02-13-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this had nothing to do with shooting 3's and it was already posted in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey dildo, who said it did?

greygoo
02-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Not really. You never go on streak of 10 missed shots. If you miss a couple, you pause and regroup.

There is no sense comparing this to the NBA shots, even uncontested. Speed of NBA game is ridiculous. There is always defense pressure and fatigue.

TransientR
02-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Well,

Maybe that was a poor example, and I didn't mean to disparage bowling. Given my ethnic and socioeconomic background, there were many excellent bowlers in my family, starting with my dad. I never was that good, but what can you do.

Throwing a strike is harder than hitting a 3 pointer from a set distance with no defenders. You have the approach, the backswing, etc. etc. And of course there is the possibility of getting tapped.

My point was, just like there are pool players who can run 300+ balls, they aren't guaranteed to sink 100 under the pressure of a big bet.

What a person can do under no pressure is no reliable gauge of what happens when big stakes are involved. Which is why there were probably guys who could outshoot Jordan at practice, but when the whole season was on the line....:).

Frank

Daliman
02-13-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So the greatest 3 pt. shooter in the history of the game is 45%. So lets pretend he's warming up. Does the greatest 3 pt. shooter in the history of the game miss 2 out of 10? How about a 5'5 poker geek with no apparent athletic ability? Seems like there might be a disparity, even in the most benign conditions. But wait, there's 35K on the line for the 5'5 dude with no athletic ability. I think there's a strong chance he could actually miss 4 out of 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of 5'5" guys who could out-shoot MJ in free throws, or Steve kerr, for that matter. # pointers are likely little different.

P.S. I seem to remember a SI article that talked about Chris mullin hitting like 142 in a row practicing.

Daliman
02-13-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He's still a profressional basketball player, and he wasn't in his fifties. The guy you're thinking of was Calvin Murphy, early thirties, and he had the purest touch of any player in his day. And you simply cannot compare free throws to 3 pointers. Can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, no, it's NOT calvin murphy.

Daliman
02-13-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask him to do it and find out. At any rate, it's one thing to ask a shooting specialist to make 70/100 3 pointers. Maybe he can. My point is there is virtually no way random Joe can do it. I've been playing basketball for 30 years, and have a pretty good jump shot and I don't think I'd make 20 out of 100 on a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you suck. I'm terrible at basketball, and if I practiced for a week, I'm positive I could make 20 of 100 from the college line, since ive made 13 of 50 before, and reasonably sure I could make 20 of 100 from the pro line.

I have a friend who is 5'8", 36 years old, and never played organized basketball who i can guarantee could make 50/100 from 3 point range, and I'd easily back it up with a 5 figure bet.

Of course, with your logic, you don't have that kinda $$$.

Daliman
02-13-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No that is wrong.

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know a thing about bowling, do you?

Like saying a golfer would stick it within 3 feet every time on a par 3 given unlimited practice.

Daliman
02-13-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NBA distance, not college three pointers, geez.

And again, under the pressure of a significant wager...

All this anecdotal: "I shot 75 at college distance," well, was that verified by someone other than you?

Look,

there are a million 300 game bowlers out there, 99% of whom are full of [censored], and even if they weren't, if money is involved, and people are watching...:).

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you know nothing about bowling. There ARE a million 300 game bowlers out there. I myself have witnessed 8, and have shot a 289, 2 pins from perfect, and I'm not really that good.

Stick to a subject you have a clue in. Good luck finding one.

Voltron87
02-13-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Feeling like throwing down today Daliman?

Nottom
02-14-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does his friend have to be a random Joe? For all you know he played 4 years of ball at a small college somewhere and holds the 3-point record there.

Daliman
02-14-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Feeling like throwing down today Daliman?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I just hate it when clueless people act like they know things.

Spook
02-14-2005, 01:44 AM
wow, reading this thread I am convinced that shooting 70% is impossible and that Woo never did it and Arieh must have cheated the guy he bet against because there is no way he actually hit them.

duma
02-14-2005, 06:01 AM
everyones lack of knowlege about basketball really shows here. i can guaratee u that the best shooters in the nba will shoot at 90% or better if uncontested. hell, Shaq (considered the worst free throw shooter of all time) can make 8 out of 10 free throws in practice, but playing in a game where there are crowds, pressure, and fatigue is a totally different story and he makes only 50%. Reggie Miller, Peja Stoyakovic, Ray Allen. i would bet anyone that these guys can make the 80/100 shots from nba 3 that everyone thinks is impossilbe. hell, i bet they would only miss 5 times out of 100 if they were allowed to shoot from college 3.

have u ever been to an NBA game? bench warmers dont miss in the warmups, let alone the stars. i rmember going to a game one time and watching Keon Clark warm up, obviously he isnt know for his shooting touch, and after about 25 shots he never missed once! and to top it off, in the same warmups vince carter made 2 shots from the nba 3 point line underhanded using only one arm and not even in his uniform (he was injured and was wearing a suit).

it seems to me that people are vastly underestimating the skills that nba players have. there is a reason why they are playing basketball for a living and you arent.

SuitedSixes
02-14-2005, 08:36 AM
I've heard that Salim Stoudemire had made 30 straight in practice.

Spook
02-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Ben Wallace, the offensive juggernaut, hit two three pointers in a row in warmups on saturday before the wizards game.

from the bench, sitting down.

brokedickrooster
02-14-2005, 08:44 AM
And Larry Birds 3 pointer percentage in the 3 point shooting competition during the all star breaks was well over 70%.

joeboe2001
02-14-2005, 03:37 PM
I will give anyone 2 to 1 odds that I can miss 9 out of 10 3 pointers, anyplace, any time.

wayabvpar
02-14-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The guy you're thinking of was Calvin Murphy, early thirties, and he had the purest touch of any player in his day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Such an unfortunate word to include /images/graemlins/grin.gif

FWIW, I am sure there are thousands of people who could do 70/100 3 pointers. Significantly fewer who could do it with money on the line, but still- it is not that difficult.

tdarko
02-14-2005, 04:31 PM
i see about 10 uncontested 3's a night, season tickets with the mavs and i realize how soft defense in the NBA is until playoffs

tdarko
02-14-2005, 04:32 PM
oh and thanks for the 300th post /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your Mom
02-14-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm really inclined to think even free shots from college distance/top of the key, high school distance is nearly impossible. And no I don't even think an NBA caliber shooter can 90% from the top of the key and I've been to few NBA, college, high school games.

I'd say we should gather your friend and I'm willing to make a prop bet up 1k-25k (less for friendly fun if you're close by and travel expenses time aren't too great)

Stipulations

a. over/under set at 90, out of 100 attempts maximum in a 1 hour time frame
b. regulation basketball court used, regulation men's basketball used
c. no extraneous devices (poles to launch/drop) the ball
d. distance from the ground to the rim is 10 ft regulation
e. regulation 3 point for high school/college is used 19 feet 9 inches to the rim
f. backboard used is regulation 72 inches wide, 42 inches high

I say we can meet up say in Vegas or LA with a bunch of 2+2ers who can watch/hold/ensure the integrity/have a few beers/laugh/root etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the kid anymore - this was in high school. However, I, along with at least 2 of my friends, could do the 70 out of 100.

Your Mom
02-14-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No that is wrong.

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

Put a pro bowler on house lanes and he/she will bowl lots of 300 games.

eMarkM
02-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Here's the old dude (http://www.freethrow.com/FreeThrow/DrTomInfo.htm) that made all the free throws. 2750 at age 71.

Rduke55
02-15-2005, 07:41 PM
I was gonna comment on that avatar as well.
Pretty kickass.

Russ McGinley
02-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Jerry Van Dyke?

Edit: Response to picture of old guy.

duma
02-16-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I will give anyone 2 to 1 odds that I can miss 9 out of 10 3 pointers, anyplace, any time.

[/ QUOTE ]

ill give u 10 to 1 odds that i can airball 10 straight shots! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Howard Treesong
02-16-2005, 03:33 PM
'Sup bro could do it. Remember how many times he collapsed the pocket in 1995?

In all seriousness, I occasionally get courtside seats for Clipper games. We went down there early one night while teams were warming up, and David Wesley was betting some rookie $100/shot. Wesley's feet had to be out of bounds directly in front of the visitors' bench. He hit eleven in a row before the rookie called uncle. Wesley turned to us and said, "These young guys never learn." Wesley is a solid-shooting pro, but he's not nearly as prolific in that regard as someone like Nowitzki or Stojakovich -- or Bird, for that matter.

I don't have any doubt at all that 70/100 from behind the NBA three-point line is entirely doable by many people. 90 is tougher, but there's no way I'd lay any serious money against that proposition.

college_boy
02-16-2005, 07:42 PM
David Wesley is probably one of the top 5 jump shooters in the NBA. Also in the high school three point shootout the players average well under 70%. These are the best high school shooters in the nation and maybe 3 out of 10 hit 70%. I didnt read all the posts so maybe somebody already mentioned this.
I would have given Josh 5 to 1 odds on that bet any day of the week.

mewhoelse
02-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Woo, Josh, mewhoelse...3 handed. Woo SB, Josh BB, me button.

14 or so raises pre-flop....Woo folds...I hit my K on the turn and chk-raise...Josh folds....I can still never fold in that spot.