PDA

View Full Version : Big slick bullies his way through this hand.

TripleH68
02-11-2005, 06:44 PM
PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 is absolutely terrible, cold-calling raises all the time. I have also seen him take a few runs at people by raising the turn. (Yes they do exist on PS). Does this turn/river play have any merit?

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

Nick C
02-12-2005, 02:40 PM
Recently, on Party 2/4 anyway, I've started 3-betting turn raises and checkraises more than I used to, based on reads like the one you provide for UTG+1, to get back at players who checkraise me with their K4o on the turn when they catch TPNK.

If UTG+1 could simply be bluffing, though, then I think waiting until the river does have merits, as then you don't have to worry about him folding to a turn 3-bet.

To be honest, though, I probably would have lost my nerve when the third heart fell on the river and gave me another way to lose and just continued to call down. The flush possibility might keep UTG+1 from 3-betting with aces up, though, which does cut down on the risk somewhat.

Also, I think I'd rather make this play if the top card on the board was a king and the board were less coordinated, as then the chances of being up against two pair wouldn't be as big.

So I guess I'm saying I probably would have just called down after getting raised on the turn. But I do think your play may have been good; I think it depends on how much you felt you could trust your read.

Nick Royale
02-12-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 is absolutely terrible

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is true I'm more inclined to 3-bet the turn. If he's terrible as in overaggressive then check/raising the river is good, but if he's playing just terrible he could check behind on the river. Push your edge when you knoe you can.