PDA

View Full Version : Borgata 6/12 Report

betgo
02-11-2005, 06:40 PM
I played 6/12 holdem at the Borgata from 10-2 last night and made $160.

There were 7 on the list for 2 tables when I got there. I got a bite and watched some tables. After a half hour, I was first on the list. It was another half hour before I was called. I would have played something with open seating while I waited if I realized. I think there were some stud games and higher limit games with seats.

There was about an hour where my table was pretty tight. It mostly had serious cardplayers, who were the ones playing tight. However, they were mostly not good players. The other tables seemed looser. I thought of requesting a table change as suggested here, but I was actually doing very well while the table was tight. I was playing tighter than average for the table, but I was stealing a lot of the pots I was in. Then some looser fishier casual player joined and the game loosened up.

Over all the texture of the game was similar to a typical 5/10 or 10/20 game at the Taj. It was definately not a 2/4 style games with everyone calling to the river. There were not a lot of real calling stations or maniacs. There was one loose raiser, whose play was not particularly good or bad. There were a lot of people who played too many hands preflop, but no one playing real junk or almost every hand.

There was not a lot of people calling down to the river with almost anything. On the contrary, a lot of players seemed to check fold if they missed the flop, regardless of pot odds and chances to steal a pot.

On one hand, two solid players limped, and I raised from the SB with TT. I could see their reactions, and they knew I was fairly tight and may have thought I needed a bigger hand than that to raise out of the blinds. The flop came KJ,rag rainbow. I made a continuation bet on the outside hope of picking up the pot, being ready to fold fairly easily. I take the pot.

On another hand, I open limped in 4th position with 98s (maybe not a good play). It was 3-handed to the flop, which came AKQ. The BB folded his hand in turn without a bet. He had earlier folded AJ face up heads up on the turn with a rag board. The other limper was a woman who said she played $10 SNGs on Party and played good ABC poker, but was very cautious. In one case she had 87s and the board had JT9. She wouldn't bet it at all agggesively, fearing a higher straight. I bet. She folded.

I consistantly built my profit, and the swings were probably less than for a looser table.

Generally, there were not any really atrocious players there, but no good ones either. There were players who had gotten knocked out of the tournament. A couple of themn were talking about Brunson's push with QQ against Hanson and how it was like his book.

There was one guy who had about $500 in front of him when I got there who appeared to be a semipro from his play and conversation with him. One time I misunderstood the dealer whose English was not great. I thought he was telling me action was to me UTG, but he was telling me to post the BB, since the BB had left the table. I folded 84o thinking I was UTG. The semipro insisted that my fold stood. Someone else raised, so it didn't matter.

One time I made $700 at the Taj in six hours late Saturday night at a table with maniacs and players who liked to build a big pot for fun or something. However, I don't usually see that. Next time, maybe I'll ask for table changes till I find that table.

I am sure it is weaker and looser on weekends, but I am not willing to wait hours for a table. On weekends there may be a lot of players in 6/12 who would normally play 2/4 but don't want to wait 8 hours for a table.

CCx
02-11-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There were not a lot of real calling stations or maniacs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
no one playing real junk or almost every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There was not a lot of people calling down to the river with almost anything

[/ QUOTE ]

You really have to get there on a weekend, complete opposite of everything you said here /images/graemlins/crazy.gif - if you can get there before 2pm, you'll be fine (noon on holiday weekends). If not I agree because I sure as hell would not wait hours on a weekend either /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bremen
02-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Were you in the 1 seat?

betgo
02-11-2005, 09:11 PM
I was in the seat to the left of the dealer, which I guess in seat 1. It was the 6/12 table nearest to the entrance. No wonder the competition seemed strong. There were about 3 players fairly close to my left who seemed to know what they were doing. Most of them left around 12:30. Were you one of them?

Bremen
02-12-2005, 12:31 AM
Woo! I seemed to know what I was doing :0)

I was in the three seat. The hand you mucked out of the BB I raised with KK and took down the blinds :0( The guy on my left (the one with $500+) claimed he played 10/20, 15/30, and $100 SNGs on party and that the 6/12 at the Borg was a tougher game! He was drinking the whole time but I was not impressed with his play. When discussing SNGs he seemed to have no clue about proper aggresive strategy at the end of a SNG. One hand he called my preflop raise with A4 and busted my AQ when he made 4s full. I think I overplayed that hand as well, so its not all my opponents bad play that I can blame.

In the end the calling stations at the other end of the table were just brutal however. One hand I raised from the SB with KK, something like 6 people saw the flop AKx. One guy hung around till the river when he hit his broadway straight (to be fair he had odds to call the flop, but not the turn). I actually didn't lose much on that hand as he went all-in for $3 on the river and I got 2 bets (minus $3) out of a regular there (the previous 1 seat). People here should know him, always talks and is quite a sexist, been married 4 times, and never stays at any one table too long. I know I've seen him mentioned on these boards.

In the end I left down $160 in 8 hours for my first session of 6/12. I imagine next time I go down I'll go back to 1/2 NL. Much bigger fish in that game, plus the regulars are far too predictable.

slickpoppa
02-12-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The guy on my left (the one with $500+) claimed he played 10/20, 15/30, and $100 SNGs on party and that the 6/12 at the Borg was a tougher game!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there must be some donators at the party 15/30 games

Bremen
02-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Hey Betgo, my memory is a little fuzzy, but were you blond guy who stacked his chips red/white for easy betting? Or the dark haired guy with a goatee?

Bremen
02-12-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, there must be some donators at the party 15/30 games

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, and he might be one of them :0) Well, he was drinking, so maybe he can play much better...

betgo
02-13-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Betgo, my memory is a little fuzzy, but were you blond guy who stacked his chips red/white for easy betting? Or the dark haired guy with a goatee

[/ QUOTE ]

I stacked my chips red/white/red/white and I was in seat 1. I have dark brown hair though. You were definately one of the solid players on my left (in seat 3) I was referring to.

It seemed like there were some solid players who didn't make big mistakes but weren't extremely strong limit holdem players, like you and me; some players who played reasonably but had some holes in their games, like the somewhat weak/tight woman, the guy with the big stack, and the loose raiser to your left; and some calling station types, who didn't have much skill and played too many hands, but weren't playing every hand, raising wildly, or calling down with nothing.

[ QUOTE ]
You really have to get there on a weekend, complete opposite of everything you said here - if you can get there before 2pm, you'll be fine (noon on holiday weekends). If not I agree because I sure as hell would not wait hours on a weekend either

[/ QUOTE ]

(Replying to different poster) I will have to try starting noon on weekends at the Borgata. I usually play at night B&M even on weekends, because I find the games are looser and softer.

CCx
02-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Was there playing 6/12 from 11:30am until midnight yesterday (Saturday) - booked a +65BB win - game was very loose/passive/fishy as usual. Of course as the night came and more players left and new ones came in, the game got even better. Plenty of regulars at the 4 6/12's they had going, but that means nothing as most of the regulars at 6/12 are average players at best.