PDA

View Full Version : My first O8 question

goofball
02-11-2005, 05:53 PM
hero is in the BB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

preflop: MP limps, poster in the CO raises, SB and hero call, MP call.

flop is 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, hero bets, MP calls, CO raises, Hero 3bets, MP folds, CO calls.

turn is 9c

hero bets, CO calls

river is 3h

hero bets?

djr
02-11-2005, 06:26 PM
preflop: good. you could have reraised, but I wouldn't suggest it with only 4 players.

Flop: 1) I wouldn't bet this, you've got the nut low DRAW and a weak 3out gut straight draw which is not the nut straight. The most likely hand someone raises with preflop is a A2xx, in which case you're going to most likely split the low (and thus just feeding the high hand with your raises). And that's assuming a low comes in. If you had no hope at hi I'd say you could fold this here and now, this is one of those don't chase half the pot scenarios, no matter how much you like your hand. Given you have some chance at hi I'd say call for one bet to see the turn. This is check/call. Definately don't 3-bet.

Turn: I agree that you should bet here. Most 8J hands should have folded the flop unless they also had low or flush potential or they had something like 89J in which case they're just dumb and you can't help it. Now you have potential to take 3/4 the pot if a low hits. If CO had raised I would just call.

River: You're out of position. CO's betting up to this point screams A2xx. But here's the catch...there is no low possibilities now. If you bet, he'll most likely fold because he's beat (no need to bet). He might call if he has trips (you win one more bet), or he'll raise if he actually had a boat or quads (unlikely but possible). I'd say he has no hi and you should just check/call. Betting out in this case will cost you more than it will make. If a 4h had hit instead of the 3h, then this is definately a betting situation (now he'll call with his low everytime).

what limit was this? 0.5/1?

goofball
02-11-2005, 07:13 PM
it was party poker 3/6

Moneyline
02-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Preflop: I would also call.

Flop: I think the bet is fine, but I wouldn't reraise here. CO probably also has A2xx, and probably has a better high too.

Turn: Now it's a great time to jam. 2nd Nut high and nut low draw.

River: I would rather check and call. If your opponent is on a busted low draw, then he/she won't call a bet. But this player may bet as a bluff figuring you are also on A2xx.

goofball
02-14-2005, 10:39 PM
i really appreciate the detailed feedback from both of you.

in the hand, I bet the river and my opponent folded.

BradleyT
02-15-2005, 02:46 AM
PF is fine.

The flop is kind of iffy. A great time to bet is when there are a lot of callers between you and the person who raised PF. You get to trap everyone between you for a bet and when CO raises you can either call which will induce everyone else who already called to call the extra bet or raise. I don't think raising would be correct though, you're not knocking out any A2's and you want the A3's and A4's in the pot drawing to a 2nd best low. In your example when you bet and raise the SB is probably folding to 2 cold. If you go for a check-raise then MP is folding for 2 cold so it doesn't matter much. However I would check and call here, you have nothing but a gutshot for high and are most likely tied for low with him having better counterfeit protection.

Turn bet is good, why give him a chance to check behind.

River is 50/50. He'll call with AA or 3xxx but not much else so there isn't a whole lot of value in betting.