PDA

View Full Version : Retarded Alcohol Laws (Virginia)

Corey
02-11-2005, 05:22 PM
So I moved to Northern VA from California abuot a week ago. As any Californian would do, I headed to Costco to stock up on beer, wine, liquor, and chicken breats. I got the poultry without incident. I then I get appalled by the terrible liquor/wine slection but write that off as being in beer hell/3000 miles from CA's vineyards. But then disaster strikes: there's no booze!

I later find out in all my new state's redness, it's an alcohol controlled state. So for those people that live in these controlled states, what is the M.O. for getting relative high-end liquor without paying the markup in these controlled states? Just buy it in a neghboring state if the prices are low enough to make it +EV?

Hey, at least I'm not in 3.2 Utah

eric5148
02-11-2005, 05:26 PM
I'm sure you can buy liqour on the internet.

J.R.
02-11-2005, 05:29 PM
ABC store or road trip to 24 hour liquor sales in WV. IIRC the ABC store mark-up isn't too significant, liquor wasn't prohibitively expensive for me as a near-broke college student.

Corey
02-11-2005, 05:37 PM
It's 20% according to their website. Since i worked in the industry in California, I know the markups were anywhere from 5-10% on most items, but up to 20% on high-demand items (Grey Goose, Hypnotiq, basically anything mentioned in a rap song). It's not prohibitive for low-end alcohol, but unfortunately I have picked up an affinity for high-end liquor (Poker helps support my Scotch habit).

Corey
02-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Buying liquor legally on the internet is done on a state-by-state basis. There is no way a state with ABC stores would allow non-taxed spirits to legally enter their state.

Of course I see both Maryland and DC do not have these high markups and perhaps I could just not be a lazy ass and go over there any buy some.

peachy
02-11-2005, 05:43 PM
in the south...its all about moonshine baby!!

in all honesty...unless u go across state lines and by an arsenol of alcohol its not worth the trip...espcially with gas being $2+ a gallon...u might as well pay the extra few dollars on a bottle or two of liquor