PDA

View Full Version : Question about Short Handed Play vs Long Hand

Cactus Cactus
02-11-2005, 05:17 PM
I used to consider myself a great long handed player. I started studying short handed play, and after quite some time I consider myself successful at it. However it seems like when I go back to long handed I am breaking even or slightly losing.

I have been looking at my stats to see if there is a difference between how I played long handed before picking up the short game vs after, and everything is the same except I call out of the blinds much more. I'd fold the Big Blind to a steal 75% when I was winning, and now I am only folding 57%. I am considering blind stealing when the first 6 people fold, leaving only 2 remaining... really making it a 4 handed game.

If you're playing in a 4 handed game and you fold the big blind 75% of the time you are going to get killed. That is why after the first 6 people fold I treat it as a 4 handed game. But now I am thinking that maybe I shouldn't treat it that way because of people's tendency to raise only with better hands from a steal position in a full handed game compared to the trendency of people to raise garbage hands UTG or on the button in a 4 handed game. Should I give more respect to a raise from a steal position in a full handed game compared to any position from a raise in a 4 handed game? Could be what explains my losing trend long handed? After learning short handed and coming back to long handed I felt that "folding too much to a steal attempt" was my error, but perhaps that was the thing that I was doing correct, due to the tendency to steal less in a full handed game.

This is the only difference I see from how I used to play vs. how I play now. Or if anyone has any other suggestions like what might be the reason I can't win full handed anymore. Like is there a disease that you aquire when playing shorthanded. At about 9,500 hands long handed I am -.023 BB / 100 hands. And at about 14,000 hands short handed I am + 2.01 BB / 100 hands.