PDA

View Full Version : AK vs LP and Move of Honour

Borno
02-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP ($122.35)
Button ($100.05)
Hero ($161.5)
BB ($102.7)
UTG ($54.45)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero posts a blind of $1.

UTG raises $6 and is LP I move all-in as I have him covered 3 times over.

Flop: ($3) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

Turn: ($3) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

River: ($3) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

Final Pot: $215.95

sourbeaver
02-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Did you have a read on the player that made you believe he raised many hands to 6 that he would proceed to fold to a reraise or call with inferior hands ?

What did you want to accomplish by reraising all-in ?

The move of honor is okay with AA-KK IMHO, but here, without a read, I believe you are asking for trouble (edit: i.e. coin flip or dominated).

schwza
02-11-2005, 04:40 PM
this would be horrible against a guy who would not call w/ AQ. it's made somewhat more horrible by the relatively big stack in the BB.

zaxx19
02-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Just plain horrible. I dont get it. Is it some ego thing having to do with the blinds??

Is there some read on the guy you want to share with us??

With how short he is its just a moronic move IMHO, at least without any strong reads.

Borno
02-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Thanks. I'm just learning!!!

I really appreciate the advice

zaxx19
02-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Well thats cool but Id like if youd provide some insight to what you were thinking here.

was it:

a)I probably have the best hand and there is a decent pot already.

b) I have a monster hand and Im tired of people raising my blinds.

c) Im tired of calling out of position with AK after it flops nothing and getting bet out of the pot..

I mean give some thinking here.

Sorry about flaming you in the above post...im just that bitter tight player who folds KK there lol...well not literally in that hand...well you know what I mean. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Borno
02-11-2005, 05:17 PM
No problem, our games are CLEARLY at different levels. I'm here to learn as we all are.

I was thinking:

There is an $8 pot I can take here and this guy has raised before out of position with crap. I can likely get him to fold here. Even a hand as good at TT.

sourbeaver
02-11-2005, 05:19 PM
The sad thing is that, at these Party 6-max games, many will call that bet with TT preflop /images/graemlins/frown.gif

If you don't want to jump up the variance in your play, you can just call here and see a flop.

schwza
02-11-2005, 05:22 PM
sorry, i didn't mean to give such a dismissive response. let me elaborate on what i was thinking.

by pushing now, you're losing the maximum against AA/KK. you're probably going to wind up in a coinflip against JJ/TT, which is not great. you'll fold out smaller pairs, which is good, but will not gain you that much money.

if you let a hand like AJ get away this cheaply, you're making a bad mistake. if an A flops, you'll almost certainly get all of his chips. now, if you think that utg is loose and will call without a pair, then maybe this is a good play.

but you have position, and you're suited, both factors that make you want to see the flop with chips left. (suitedness helps a little when you're all-in, but it's more valuable when you can see if your flush is getting there before committing chips).

i would make a moderate reraise. a standard reraise in this spot would be to make it about 19 or 20 to go, but this would be a very large portion of his stack, so i'd shade it down to about 17. if he pushes, call.

this reraise gives you some chance to take down the pot without a flop (although i'd be surprised to see him fold), but it lets you pick up the pot if he calls and then you both miss the flop. it also lets him stack off against you if both flop a pair.

a flat-call would also be ok - it would leave you with more chips to maneuver with, increasing your positional advantage, but you'll likely be facing a bet on the flop which will be hard to play against if you don't flop a pair or a flush draw. so i prefer a raise to 17.

Borno
02-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks!