PDA

View Full Version : The truth about AI playing bots and their strenght

08-20-2002, 08:36 AM
There has been plenty of chat about how strong bot players are (Automated poker playing robots). The leaders in the field of AI and poker play research are The University of Alberta http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~games/poker/ . With all their years of research they can only claim that their poker robot "Poki plays a reasonably good game of poker, but there remains considerable research to be done to play at a world-class level". It is my contention through playing experience that all of the bots implemented by various online poker sites are not equal to the strength of Poki and are easily beatable by a solid player. To create a truly world class poker playing robot requires the use of an artificial neural network (ANN) that can quickly adapt to various methods of human play to derive a winning strategy. As yet ANN technology is relatively new and has rarely been applied to poker. Most of the bots that currently play online are static in nature and lack the ability to adapt to specific individual play. Until this is achieved bots will not be world class and in fact will be easily beatable. I believe it will be several years before a truly world class robot can be developed, since the implementation of an ANN will require years of research. However, it is human nature to fear the unknown, but for me bring on the bots for now they are just another fish in the ocean. However, a day will come in the not too distant future where the bots will not be beatable by your average player. ANN technology has been very successfully implemented in games like backgammon (jellyfish and snowy) and it is a matter of time before an adaptation to poker is successfully implemented.

Tommy R

Site owner (www.onlinepokerreview.com)

08-20-2002, 10:12 AM
Why do you assume the bots are not programmed to raise/fold based on specific knowledge of your cards?

That is what a lot of the posts have inferred from players who have played against them.

08-20-2002, 10:44 AM
My post was about how powerful bots are at playing poker straight up using AI, based on current technology. What you are describing is cheating by poker sites. I have logged thousands of hours of online play at most sites and have never encountered what you and other posters are describing. While "cheating" by poker sites is possible I do not believe it is in their best interests. Long-term customer satisfaction is the key to sustained profits. Poker sites know this and simply place bots to start games. Until I see evidence of “cheating” my initial assumption that games are straight up remains. I think conspiracy posters are usually poor players that need an excuse to justify their losing play.

08-20-2002, 12:06 PM
If the site has any reasonable prospect of attracting a player base and long term profits, I would agree w/ you 100%.

But it is naive to believe that a site w/ no realistic expectation of surviving under the tradional business model of building a player base through customer service, good software and marketing would not stoop to the level of a short term scam.

08-20-2002, 12:42 PM
I too, agree that bots are fish and they cant play for shit. However it is of greater concern to real players if the bots are playing fairly or cheating. It doesnt matter if the bots are fish if they are all being run by the same program and they all know every card that is out and every card that is about to come out.

Ryan

08-20-2002, 12:45 PM
"Until I see evidence of “cheating” my initial assumption that games are straight up remains."

Have you ever played at Propoker. If not give it a try then get back to us with your "initial assumption"

Ryan