PDA

View Full Version : Do you bet here with pocket fours?

Etric
02-11-2005, 01:04 PM
There is some error in this hand history so I did my best to convert it myself.

UTG is LA-P.
UTG+2 is TA-N.
MP2 is unknown (only 4 hands played with him)
SB is LA-P.

PokerRoom 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif , 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif .
UTG calls, 1 fold, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, 3 folds, SB calls, 1 fold, UTG calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (5 players)

Checked around.

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked around.

River: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Checked around.

Final Pot: 11 BB

I called the raise in the first place because I was thinking about the SSH chart for loose games. I've since folded small pocket pairs much more often.

I usually check/fold my low PP if I don't flop a set. Is there a better way to play them?

MercTec
02-11-2005, 01:10 PM
I was gonna say fold PF..but sinec you noticed that...on to the hand.

Checking the flop is fine. I bet the turn when the 2 comes off. You have a pair plus you picked up a gutshot. You have outs if you get callers.

gaming_mouse
02-11-2005, 01:12 PM
You should not be coldcalling there PF.

If someone raises and there are 4 other colcalls before you, then you can coldcall. But coldcalling versus an UTG raise is very bad.

Milky
02-11-2005, 01:16 PM
SSH says to play low PPs against a raise only if you know the hand will be multi-way. Clear fold PF.

That being said, on the flop you're out of position against 4 other players (one of which raised PF). I think checking it down is fine. However if you're going to bet, you should probably bet on the turn when you pick up a gutshot. I check it down though.

lu_hawk
02-11-2005, 01:41 PM
the coldcall is OK usually. you already have a limper, and you can figure for at least one more coldcaller behind you and then one of the blinds. seeing the flop 5 handed like you did is plenty for a low PP.

with 5 people in the hand i would be tempted to bet the turn but would usually just check. with only 3 people i would bet the turn.

applej25
02-11-2005, 02:17 PM
I had a situation like this earlier today. I 3-bet the raiser to get it heads up as he was likely on over cards. Flop came Rags similar to yours and he folded to my bet on the flop.

Now I am not saying this is standard play, but it can be used in the right situation, and it looks like you may have been able to do it in your hand. Though folding is definitely not incorrect, i think if you are going too play it here you should reraise.

Richard Berg
02-11-2005, 03:19 PM
There was a UTG limper. The chances of getting it heads-up aren't good enough.

pokerstudAA
02-11-2005, 04:32 PM
1. Fold preflop. Actually, with better position (i.e. less to act behind) and a few beers (i.e. Guiness) I would consider 3-betting. Except for the UTG limper - he messes that plan up.

2. I would bet the turn. No player represented the T here. No one represented an overpair here. Perhaps 55, 77, 88, or 99 might fold to a bet here. If you get called by a better hand you have 6 outs. It is possible someone slowplayed a set on the flop to allow some overcards to catch up.

applej25
02-11-2005, 05:00 PM
So what? I seriously doubt he wants to call 2 cold out of position. This will punish him and make him think twice next time he attempts to limp in UTG.

If UTG limper makes you uncomfortable than this is an easy fold.

Michael Davis
02-11-2005, 05:06 PM
The problem with betting the flop is that nobody folds and there are a ton of cards that can come on the turn to beat you. I'd still bet but it's close.

The turn is an absolute must bet. In this situation I'd bet damn near any hand here. Pocket 4s is huge, almost certainly the best hand.

-Michael

xxxxx
02-11-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually check/fold my low PP if I don't flop a set. Is there a better way to play them?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But I'm the house rock.