PDA

View Full Version : A request to posters in this forum

the alex
02-11-2005, 05:10 AM
Can you please not subject your threads with the blinds and your opponent and not give any other information? I've browsed this forum for over a year and just recently began posting. I, like many people will not read every thread. All we know about the threads before reading them are through the subjects. Please be more descriptive.

"5/10NL against a pro" is not a topic of discussion.

Thank you.

istewart
02-11-2005, 05:17 AM
wtf

the alex
02-11-2005, 07:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf

[/ QUOTE ]

Some threads on the first 2 pages of the "Mid-, High Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em" forum":

"5-10 PL hand against Tommy Angelo"

This thread is about calling a raise with AJs PF and hitting a J high flop and so on. It has nothing to do with 5/10 and everyone knows that this is a mid-stakes game because of the forum that it exists in. Tommy Angelo is significant, but as a general situation, not as Tommy Angelo.

"5/10NL vs. known prfessional"

This thread is about limping with a medium pair, calling a bet with having an overpair on the flop with 2 suited cards, hitting a set on the turn and betting the pot to see the third card to a flush on the river heads up with a "known professional." The initial post is about calling the flop with the best hand seeing the opponent as a LAG on a draw, improves the hand on the turn, and sees a river that would've made the draw that "Hero" put "Villian" on while calling the flop.

"Bellagio 10/20 NL Hand"

This thread has nothing to do with Bellagio and mentioning that it is a 10/20 game at Bellagio is good detail for the body of the post. But the topic of discussion is about hitting a J high flop with KJo in LP betting the flop and turn with the top pair, seeing an Ace on the river and being in a position where his opponent led into him.

riverboatking
02-11-2005, 08:49 AM
so are you asking us to kow-tow to your laziness?
or should we be so concerned as to whether or not you read our post without bothering to respond that we should make sure to just write out the entire post in the subject line?

give me a break.

Usagi_yo
02-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Is this a troll?

I just started reading here and I'm finding it usefull. The Blinds + opponant are alot better then 1000 posts with the subject "Did I play this right?", "How would you play this"? et al.

technologic
02-11-2005, 12:58 PM
stfu

BaronVonCP
02-11-2005, 03:57 PM
it doesn't fit in the box[ QUOTE ]
hitting a J high flop with KJo in LP betting the flop and turn with the top pair, seeing an Ace on the river and being in a position where his opponent led into him.

[/ QUOTE ]

GFunk911
02-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Maybe I'm just gonna subject myself to flames, but I basically agree.

Titles with the limit and opponent are fine at all, and I certainly click on the ones that look interesting, but they don't do a great job of describing the hand.

I personally do try to do this, with titles such as "Turn Weak Top Pair in a Small Pot" and "Flop a Huge Draw Against a Calling Station." However, to each his own.

Please resume your regularly scheduled flaming.

LuvDemNutz
02-11-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Titles with the limit and opponent are fine at all, and I certainly click on the ones that look interesting, but they don't do a great job of describing the hand.

I personally do try to do this, with titles such as "Turn Weak Top Pair in a Small Pot" and "Flop a Huge Draw Against a Calling Station." However, to each his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

stfu

GFunk911
02-11-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

stfu

[/ QUOTE ]

Your flame would have been more efficient if you made the subject "stfu (nt)."

Sponger15SB
02-11-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an idiot for not reading in flat mode

the alex
02-11-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so are you asking us to kow-tow to your laziness?
or should we be so concerned as to whether or not you read our post without bothering to respond that we should make sure to just write out the entire post in the subject line?

give me a break.

[/ QUOTE ]

All that I'm requesting is that posters introduce the topic in a way that relates to the topic. Laziness isn't my problem. Time is the problem and setting aside an hour and a half to two hours to an online forum is something that I, as many others, do not have the time for.

I'm not trying to be critical. I'm just making an attempt to make a forum so large more accessible as a whole and part of that requires more of a diversity among the subjects. The forum is filled with a wide diversity of topics, but you wouldn't know it from the subjects and in a forum where the first four pages of every forum contains new posts, non-detailed titles make it very difficult and extremely time consuming for many users including myself.

fsuplayer
02-11-2005, 07:51 PM
or you could just look at the name of the poster, # of views/replies, and who has responded so far.

this is more indicative of post quality than anything else.

you said time is an issue, and alot of the top posters prob. dont care to take the time to come up w a snazzy or descriptive title. thus....PStars 5-10 Hand.

the alex
02-11-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it doesn't fit in the box[ QUOTE ]
hitting a J high flop with KJo in LP betting the flop and turn with the top pair, seeing an Ace on the river and being in a position where his opponent led into him.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But titling the thread, "Seeing a J high flop with KJ. What do I do when I see the Ace?" is more desciptive than "Bellagio 10/20 Hand"

the alex
02-11-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or you could just look at the name of the poster, # of views/replies, and who has responded so far.

this is more indicative of post quality than anything else.

you said time is an issue, and alot of the top posters prob. dont care to take the time to come up w a snazzy or descriptive title. thus....PStars 5-10 Hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

My request has nothing to do with post quality and I'm only asking to describe the topic in a nutshell in the title. There are key words like:

The hand, position, and opponent with some addition that the poster feels necessary. i.e. "connector in MP vs. TA. 6, 13, or 14 outs?"

I'm not asking for snazzy, just concise description and the views:replies ration is a big factor for me as well, but the titles are still very important.

mason55
02-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Nobody gives a [censored] what you think. If you want to help out then read some posts and reply. Learn who usually posts good hands. I don't even post in this forum but I read it a lot because there's some good posters. If I haven't seen a poster contribute good replies I don't bother. If a post has a lot of comments but it's an unknown poster, I'll read it. Easy. In this forum I look at respected posters who post hands as trying to help me out just as much as they want help with their hands.

brick
02-11-2005, 10:09 PM
What's the problem with someone giving feedback?

BisonBison created a whole page of instructions for the Small Stakes forum.

If you don't agree then just ingore his post.

riverboatking
02-11-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All that I'm requesting is that posters introduce the topic in a way that relates to the topic. Laziness isn't my problem. Time is the problem and setting aside an hour and a half to two hours to an online forum is something that I, as many others, do not have the time for.

I'm not trying to be critical. I'm just making an attempt to make a forum so large more accessible as a whole and part of that requires more of a diversity among the subjects. The forum is filled with a wide diversity of topics, but you wouldn't know it from the subjects and in a forum where the first four pages of every forum contains new posts, non-detailed titles make it very difficult and extremely time consuming for many users including myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

so we should take the time to come up with indictive titles, yet you never take the time to respond to any of our posts.
do you see where i am coming from here?

the alex
02-11-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody gives a [censored] what you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an open forum and this isn't a thread about what I think. It was just a request, not a demand and not an effort to berate the quality of the forum. If you read my initial post and replies, you'd see absolutely no effort to demand or berate the posters.

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to help out then read some posts and reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do read the posts and I do make replies.

[ QUOTE ]
Learn who usually posts good hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am getting to know the people in the community better, but I refuse to generalize and ignore people who make posts that I am not interested in. I rather choose to ignore or am less interested in certain topics such as TV poker or topics that tend to be discussed ad nauseam like, "Should I slowplay AA UTG?"

But as I am not very interested, as I don't believe anyone is, in where the game was played such as Poker Stars, UB, or Bellagio and am only slightly interested in the stakes, I do believe that they are significant to the detail of the topic, but are NOT the topic itself.

I don't know why people are taking this request so personally. I simply asked that people who begin a thread a week with the same title every week to just clarify themselves in their titles. That's it. That's all that I'm asking.

I don't know why anyone would be opposed to this. I understand that people are free to create whatever title they want and will do what they want and readers will read what they want and I'm not starting a campaign or a faction against anyone. I'm simply making a request.

Triumph36
02-12-2005, 02:17 AM
I find those titles also uninteresting and too descriptive. I like to go into reading a hand with absolutely no prejudice, that way I can evaluate it more objectively. "Difficult turn decision" already tells me what is going to happen, and will change my response to it.

And yeah, just see who wrote the original, who responded, and how many responses there are.

riverboatking
02-12-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But as I am not very interested, as I don't believe anyone is, in where the game was played such as Poker Stars, UB, or Bellagio and am only slightly interested in the stakes, I do believe that they are significant to the detail of the topic, but are NOT the topic itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

personal preference.
i happen to be very interested in whether the hand in question took place online or live, as i find them to be two very different games.

how are we supposed to judge what criteria you or anyone else finds interesting?

Ulysses
02-12-2005, 06:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

personal preference.
i happen to be very interested in whether the hand in question took place online or live, as i find them to be two very different games.

how are we supposed to judge what criteria you or anyone else finds interesting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the hand was played and what limit it was are by far the most significant factor wrt my interest in a hand.

UB 25/50 hand
Bell 10/20 hand
Commerce 50/100 hand
Stars 5/10 hand
LC 5/5 hand

as far as i'm concerned, those are all great subjects.

kick
02-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Something useful? put your hourly rate and what games you beat in parentheses. I.E. (50 100 NL / 1k) I tried a post here yesterday and got laughed and riduculed by the majority of people that probably make in a year what I make in a week.
This concept is going to be way to useful and way to outside the box for the talent I've seen so far that lingers in this "high-stakes" forum.
So I'm guessing this idea won't be happening.

the alex
02-12-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Something useful? put your hourly rate and what games you beat in parentheses. I.E. (50 100 NL / 1k) I tried a post here yesterday and got laughed and riduculed by the majority of people that probably make in a year what I make in a week.
This concept is going to be way to useful and way to outside the box for the talent I've seen so far that lingers in this "high-stakes" forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has nothing to do with anything discussed in this thread.

Ulysses
02-12-2005, 08:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much do you make in a week?

kick
02-12-2005, 08:31 AM
"This has nothing to do with anything discussed in this tread.

[/ QUOTE ]"

What? You don't think that a player's hourly rate is relevant to the expected value of advice from a random poster?

You want to be reading somebody's post that makes 1.00 and hour, when you are making 1k an hour?
I disagree with you sir and say that it is the most important qualification as to which threads would be the best read. Also, if there was a way to filter out all posts below a certain threshold that could be a very useful tool for efficiency.

fsuplayer
02-12-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"This has nothing to do with anything discussed in this tread.

[/ QUOTE ]"

What? You don't think that a player's hourly rate is relevant to the expected value of advice from a random poster?

You want to be reading somebody's post that makes 1.00 and hour, when you are making 1k an hour?
I disagree with you sir and say that it is the most important qualification as to which threads would be the best read. Also, if there was a way to filter out all posts below a certain threshold that could be a very useful tool for efficiency.

[/ QUOTE ]

give me a break. hourly rate? who cares?

riverboatking
02-12-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are still computing your rater hourly, then you aren't making nearly as much as you claim.

lapoker17
02-12-2005, 03:43 PM
I charge 500 an hour.

the alex
02-12-2005, 07:57 PM
I didn't think that I was asking a very difficult question.

My concern isn't about "quality of response" or "quality of the question." I'm just asking for titles that describe the hand or topic of discussion. That's it. That's all.

Knowledge is knowledge if the argument is good. Hourly rate and success of others in the forum don't matter to me. There are successful players that couldn't express themselves if their life depended on it and there are people that play badly while knowing the "right decisions" and make their argument very well.

I've said more than I planned on saying and more than I've needed to say in this thread. I made a request. Thank you to the people that have titled their threads in ways that have better descibed the thread or the initial post.

GFunk911
02-12-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an idiot for not reading in flat mode

[/ QUOTE ]

Sarcasm doesn't come across well sometimes, so I can't tell if this in meant in jest (like my response) or if you really think I'm an idiot.

FYI I do read exclusively in flat mode.

I'll wait for the "thanks for informing us of your reading preferences, a-hole" flames with bated breath.