PDA

View Full Version : Wow, it feels good to say "Good play"

tallasudude
02-11-2005, 03:36 AM
I often berate my opponents when a horrible call or bad beat comes. But today after losing with AA to A8 in an aweful play by his part...

I simply said...Good play.
And he simply said...Thank you.
...And now I am happy and I feel great.

AtticusFinch
02-11-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I often berate my opponents when a horrible call or bad beat comes. But today after losing with AA to A8 in an aweful play by his part...

[/ QUOTE ]

God I wish everyone would do this. I have no idea what drives certain people to constantly tap the aquarium.

ColdestCall
02-11-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

God I wish everyone would do this. I have no idea what drives certain people to constantly tap the aquarium.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I may have just figured it out. When you were say, like 3 or 4 years old, and encountered a fish tank, or, better yet, were actually taken to the acquarium, what did you want to do? Me? I wanted to tap it, but I grew up. Aw hell, I still want to tap it, but I know better now, so I don't.

wbrumfiel
02-11-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
10 losses in a row to fish with terrible hands.

11t
02-11-2005, 02:36 PM
I never berate players, I try to stay cool and calm. I just say GG and leave, why let them know that they did something dumb.

Getting angry just makes me play worse.

Scuba Chuck
02-11-2005, 02:39 PM
whenever I lose to a badbeat, I never "tap the aquarium."

I just love that line. I'd pay money if someone could show me an HH where it was effectively used. Instead, I think I'll post one. Coming Attraction...

AtticusFinch
02-11-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
whenever I lose to a badbeat, I never "tap the aquarium."

[/ QUOTE ]

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day;
teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
But only a fool teaches the fish.

willie24
02-11-2005, 03:03 PM
fish don't learn.

you don't complain, or intelligently discuss plays, because 1. it's bad for your table image.
2. it shows youre a pussy.

Scuba Chuck
02-11-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2. it shows youre a pussy.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I am a pussy, or at least weak tight.

spentrent
02-11-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm guilty of using overusing exclamation points to express sarcasm. Case 1:

- 3 handed. Fishie McWhineWhine is all-in. I call with KQ, McWW shows A5, and I win the ensuing coin-flip. McWW sez, "I had an over, I was 2 to 1 you XXXXing FISH." I reply, "wow, tanks for the tip! i just got lucky! my bad! gg! gl! i put you on J high!"

bgarf
02-11-2005, 03:24 PM
I like the the line, too. Heard one in the same vein at a Party table the other day (directed at a fish berater) "don't throw rocks in the lake" and had to laugh /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

willie24
02-11-2005, 03:39 PM
the main reason that you shouldn't complain or berate other players is of course that it is rude.

your opponents have every right to play in any way they see fit. those are the rules of the game that you agreed to play.

AleoMagus
02-11-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the main reason that you shouldn't complain or berate other players is of course that it is rude.

your opponents have every right to play in any way they see fit. those are the rules of the game that you agreed to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly

It's so much more than not 'tapping the aquarium'. In fact, I think it's bad to even think of weak players as fish at all.

They are real people who are playing poker, hopefully for some enjoyment. If it gives them enjoyment to feel excitement calling all-ins with A8 because they saw a play like that on TV, then great for them. If they get lucky and win occasionally, that's also great for them.

In fact, it's great for both of us, because it keeps them in the game, and the enjoyment that they get ultimately provides me with enjoyment. I enjoy a more deep strategic side to the game, and I also enjoy a profit. I may even be entitled to a profit, as I have spent countless hours studying and preparing to play poker well.

The thing is, the profit I earn is not derived from suckers and fish, it is often derived from people who know exactly what they are paying for.

It's kinda like when you go into a movie theater and pay $5 for popcorn. We all know that the bag of popcorn is not worth $5 on it's own, but it keeps the theaters running and even keeps the owners, managers, and employees in a job. Now if some of those managers sit in a room and laugh about all the 'fish' and 'suckers' who pay that money, then good for them I guess, but I'm not one of those fish, because I know what my dollar is buying and though it seems steep and feels bad from time to time, in the end it's something I'm ok with doing.

The real fish, in my mind, are the people who do not know what they are paying for... And in that respect, I'd bet there are more 'fish' who read and post on these forums, than there are who do not.

I respect all my opponents, especially the really weak ones.

Regards
Brad S

11t
02-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Very good post. I have found one truism in poker.

The worst players are the hardest to play against.

microbet
02-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I wish there was someway to tell other players not to tap on the glass during a game without tapping on the glass yourself.

sofere
02-11-2005, 06:37 PM
I just tell the berater to STFU with no mention of fish or aquariums /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The Yugoslavian
02-11-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wish there was someway to tell other players not to tap on the glass during a game without tapping on the glass yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just tell them that unless they were all-county back in '95, they have no business talking smack about anybody. Not only will fellow 2+2ers appreciate this but the person will now start to taunt you. You can promptly and easily either ignore or 'disable chat' or whatever.

Yugoslav

KenProspero
02-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Great Post

The analysis of 'weaker' players you put forward is one reason I put Psychology of Poker very high on my must read list.

Honestly, I've probably pulled more fundamental changes to my game and approach than from any other book except possibly Theory of Poker.

Scuba Chuck
02-12-2005, 01:45 AM
"don't throw rocks in the lake"

That line is going in my Repertoire

AtticusFinch
02-12-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

That line is going in my Repertoire

[/ QUOTE ]

Best one I've heard yet.

morello
02-12-2005, 06:09 AM
your "good play" comment reeks of sarcasm when it comes after losing AA to A8. When you say "Good play" in this scenario, most people take it to mean the exact opposite. Not really any different than explicitly berating him.

bigredlemon
02-12-2005, 07:12 AM
It was early game and was dealt AA. Someone guy in early position pushes all in 700 with the blinds at 10/15. He turns over 84. Flop is J T 4 rainbow. Turn is a 4.

I say "Hice hand"

He says "Eat [censored] and die"

Classy guy

IvyGrizzly
02-12-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guilty of using overusing exclamation points to express sarcasm. Case 1:

- 3 handed. Fishie McWhineWhine is all-in. I call with KQ, McWW shows A5, and I win the ensuing coin-flip. McWW sez, "I had an over, I was 2 to 1 you XXXXing FISH." I reply, "wow, tanks for the tip! i just got lucky! my bad! gg! gl! i put you on J high!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm always impressed by the math some people seem to do. For example, one dude was drawing to some crappy flush (small suited cards + 2 suit on board) and had no other outs, and he said he had 13 outs because there are 13 cards of his suit in the deck.

Somebody argued with him for about 10 minutes trying to explain that you can't count the cards already out, and the guy kept saying "you don't understand statistics."

Ryan527h
02-26-2005, 02:50 PM
I find most fitting to just say NH, cause it wasnt a good play, but he did make a NH

stupidsucker
05-17-2005, 12:40 PM
To play devil's advocate a little.

There is a difference in berating and complaining.

No one needs to have insults and stones thrown at them, but I promise that most "fish" (not all) love to get under peoples skin. In the original post it was stated...

They are real people who are playing poker, hopefully for some enjoyment. If it gives them enjoyment to feel excitement calling all-ins with A8 because they saw a play like that on TV, then great for them.

Poker breeds a certain individual that plays badly but doesnt care. They will often make a bad bet purely for the gamble. They enjoy sucking out, they enjoy playing against the odds, and damn it, they LOVE to get a rise out of people. Some of them dig and dig to try to get it.

Might I add that no player like this will have any fun against a player full of rocks unless he gets some rise out of them when he does suck out.

This is a game of poker, and rules of integrity and manors both apply. People are never going to stop complaining at a poker table. It is part of the atmosphere that attracts people that will pay you to let them get under your skin.

People play poker for different reasons, its not fair of anyone to tell anyone how to play outside the rules. Why shouldnt that include the people that want to bitch and moan a little? Granted there are limitations and I have crossed them in the past.

Its one thing to call someone a moron when they win... They love it, they have the chips you can say whatever you want and it just adds to their adrenalin. Have you ever ever ever berated a fish that won chips in a bad play, and had the fish go,, "hmmm you are right, I was wrong, I will play better from now on"... Hell no! They say "F YOU moron, who has your chips cry baby" They eat it up. But there is no reason to berate a guy that makes a bad play and loses. Now your just making him feel stupid.

Anyways. Its hard to make a point saying to let people play they way they want to and exclude the people that want to play with a chip on their shoulder. Hot heads are people too, and lots and lots of people play poker for just that reason.

For what its worth I agree from a pros stand point. Anything that keeps players in the game is a good thing. Anything that chases them away is a bad thing. Good post.

Newt_Buggs
05-17-2005, 04:01 PM
in my experience the guy tapping the glass is often a fish as well

Beavis68
05-17-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used "stop throwing rocks in the pond" in Omaha8b when some moron with just a one way hand jams it on the river and chases out all the profit.

My favorite thing to say if I have to after a beat is "nh Nemo" that usually gets a few laughs.