PDA

View Full Version : I didn't expect to be raising this turn

reubenf
02-11-2005, 03:28 AM
This hand was interesting to me because I was caught offguard when I realized I could be raising the turn.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (12.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Dead
02-11-2005, 03:29 AM
I do not raise the turn here. One card is left to come. See what the river brings.

reubenf
02-11-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do not raise the turn here. One card is left to come. See what the river brings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have equity to raise. I didn't realize it at the time, but I even have equity to cap after the two folds.

Or do you think I'm trading river bets for turn bets?

Entity
02-11-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but I even have equity to cap after the two folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite. Capping is +EV against 3 but -EV against 2. You're 2.06:1 to hit here. I like the first raise though.

cold_cash
02-11-2005, 03:41 AM
I don't think you have equity to cap with only two opponents, but it's close.

I count 9 flush outs, and 6 straight outs (because of the heart draw). Discount the flush outs by a hair because it's not to the nuts.

With these 15ish you're a little more than a 2:1 underdog to make your hand, so with only 2 opponents you'd be just short of breaking even.

Note: I'm not very good at doing these kind of calculations, but I thought I'd give it a shot and see how close I am to being correct. I don't know what kind of effect, if any, the dead money that UTG+1 contributed has on things.

reubenf
02-11-2005, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not quite. Capping is +EV against 3 but -EV against 2. You're 2.06:1 to hit here. I like the first raise though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's counting all of the hearts and Kings as 0 outs, yes?

cold_cash
02-11-2005, 03:50 AM
I think giving you 15 outs is pretty reasonable.

Your flush outs should be reduced a bit (but not much) because it's the second nut hand.

I wouldn't count all 8 outs for your open-ender. The hearts have to be discounted some.

If we discount those, and take into account the times the Kings might be good, I think it balances out to around 15, which still leaves you over a 2:1 dog.

reubenf
02-11-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Your flush outs should be reduced a bit (but not much) because it's the second nut hand.

I wouldn't count all 8 outs for your open-ender. The hearts have to be discounted some.

If we discount those, and take into account the times the Kings might be good, I think it balances out to around 15, which still leaves you over a 2:1 dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

15 is what I counted during the hand, which is why I didn't cap. I arrived at that by counting 6 OESD (no hearts) + 9 clubs. I figured that the non-nutness of the club draw about evened out with not counting the hearts, because only one of these guys is likely drawing to a flush and he can't be drawing to both. I completely failed to count the Kings as anything, which I think pushes it to a cap. Let me know if any of this reasoning is flawed.

Entity
02-12-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

15 is what I counted during the hand, which is why I didn't cap. I arrived at that by counting 6 OESD (no hearts) + 9 clubs. I figured that the non-nutness of the club draw about evened out with not counting the hearts, because only one of these guys is likely drawing to a flush and he can't be drawing to both. I completely failed to count the Kings as anything, which I think pushes it to a cap. Let me know if any of this reasoning is flawed.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think hearts are not good outs for you, you have a 13 outer (4 OESD non-heart, non-clubs, and 9 clubs).

reubenf
02-12-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you think hearts are not good outs for you, you have a 13 outer (4 OESD non-heart, non-clubs, and 9 clubs).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I see my error now. /images/graemlins/grin.gif