PDA

View Full Version : Online CHAT strategy

KKbluff
02-11-2005, 02:40 AM
I would like to open this up to peoples strategy and thoughts when it comes to using the chat feature that most poker sites offer. I have heard many different views on this and would like to hear your thoughts.

AncientPC
02-11-2005, 02:42 AM
Disable it.

Very few people can be put on tilt through chat coffeehousing, most of the time it scares the fishies away.

For the love of god don't ever correct anyone if they say anything stupid.

KKbluff
02-11-2005, 02:42 AM
I would also like to ask if these strategies are more valuable at different limits as i would imagine they would be.

KKbluff
02-11-2005, 02:48 AM
One thing i can say about chat is that i can use it to quickly find out who is probably NOT multitabling. If they are busy chatting i cant see them being able to run 2-4 tables and still play at winning level in my opinion. feel free to shoot down this view if it is not correct.

captZEEbo1
02-11-2005, 02:48 AM
at the lower limit sngs (30 or less), sometimes I type "don't call me" to avoid a call. It's kinda like I assume their only smart enough to think one level of depth, so they think I'm using reverse psychology on them, when ACTUALLY I'm using reverse-reverse psychology. I think in general saying stuff when someone is debating a call is +EV. I think people are embarassed to get it wrong so they just fold a marginal call rather than be embarassed and call against a monster. I never use this trick more than once per an sng though. I think if you do it a few times, people get suspicous and just call.

just my 2 cents....I could be way off here.

Jim T
02-11-2005, 02:53 AM
I like to type "nh" after somebody (especially if they are in EP) wins a hand on the river with complete garbage after calling bets on every round. Even if they did it against me.

AncientPC
02-11-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing i can say about chat is that i can use it to quickly find out who is probably NOT multitabling. If they are busy chatting i cant see them being able to run 2-4 tables and still play at winning level in my opinion. feel free to shoot down this view if it is not correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true, I have coffeehoused when playing 4+ tables. There are a few others who still IM / browse the web while 8 or 12 tabling.

Piers
02-11-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to open this up to peoples strategy and thoughts when it comes to using the chat feature that most poker sites offer. I have heard many different views on this and would like to hear your thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use the "Totaly Silent" option.
Not worth the distraction it poses.

MicroBob
02-11-2005, 03:30 AM
agreed...I'm playing 4-tables right now as I type this post.

I could be chatting on a table if I wanted to...but that's kinda boring.

I don't agree with turning off the chat though....if someone is cussing up a storm and whining about their bad-beats or trying to be a table-coach then I want to know about it.

I don't typically chat...but if I do my strategy is to be as ridiculous as possible without really annoying anybody too badly.

if they say to someone "you are a freaking moron!! how can you possibly call with that crap you douche-bag?" I think that pretty much is the same as saying "Hi. That last hand annoyed me so much that I am extremely likely to bleed-away the rest of my chips in a tilt-induced idiotic spree. Feel free to 3-bet my raises to isolate me."

I also have been known to chat in such a way to keep the mood at the table light and fun and silly (re: less serious).
If someone is calling me or someone else a '[censored]-douche-bag-queer-bo-who-doesn't-know-how-to-play-read-a-f'cking-book'
I will sometimes respond 'I like tacos' or 'Beer is tasty'

someone once brought up the whole 'geez...why don't you play f'cking BINGO if you're going to play your cards like that?'
so i went into the whole 'I love that song!!' 'B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name-oh.'

Anyway, OP asked for some strategies...and those are mine.

Never EVER talk REAL poker at the table.
If someone says "you played T4o you f'cking moron??" don't point out that you were in the big-bling and he's an idiot for not seeing that.
Instead say "Yup!! Ten Four Good Buddy!!"

If someone says "I hope you lose all your money"
then say "thank you. I love you too. Will you go to the prom with me?"

The more confused you can keep the tilters and the more amused you can keep everyone else the better off you'll be.

Dead
02-11-2005, 03:33 AM
I like to say "Any two can win. I saw it on tv."

AncientPC
02-11-2005, 03:36 AM
Big bling . . . I like it. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

crosse91
02-11-2005, 03:37 AM
whats your favorite line uttered online though? Either after a particularly bad beat or just randomly?

tonite i heard this gem
player 1(after losing q's v. 98o allin preflop with multiple raises to a guy with the baby picture avatar): god damnit thats gay.
random player: i guess you get rewarded for cuteness here
player 1: Well then i'm going to go kick his baby in the [censored] face....

VarlosZ
02-11-2005, 03:39 AM
As long as it's not distracting you, I wouldn't disable chat -- most of the other players at the table don't disable it, and sometimes (rarely) the chat helps you better understand what's going on. The most obvious example would be two players who are flaming each other and letting their grudge affect how they play against each other. If you were the third person in a pot with them, you'd want to know that they're pissed at each other, and you'd especially want to know what they were saying during the hand.

Other than nh, gg, etc., the only thing I use the chat for is to chastise people for either (1) rudely criticizing someone else's bad play or (2) shouting out advice in the middle of a hand. I try to be as polite as can be, but it almost never gets a favorable response. . .

theredwave
02-11-2005, 03:43 AM
That's awesome. Disturbing, but hilarious.

SinCityGuy
02-11-2005, 03:54 AM
I disable the chat and the sounds. It might not be a good idea for everyone, but it works for me.

detroitplayer
02-11-2005, 03:59 AM
I got pwned by chat once.

Held KK at the river in NL with an all-undercard board. Decent sized bets throughout... I make a pretty large bet on the river and the guy pushes instantaneously. I am taking some time on this one because the board was pretty scary.

After a bit he says in the chat "[censored], I am caught. Just call. Send me on my miserable way. I am done for the night anyway". I type "reverse psychology, eh?", he writes "Nope, I know you got me". I am tearing myself up over making the call and I end up folding right before I timed out. He shows his missed draw and says "I told ya".

That put me on semi-tilt and a few hands later I caught a good river to almost triple up. If I wasn't on tilt I wouldn't have made the same play. Good thing I guess.

CountDuckula
02-11-2005, 11:27 AM
I keep an eye on it, but mostly to watch out for other brown trouts. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I may adopt some of the responses to table coaches that have been suggested, though. And if someone is truly obnoxious, I usually disable chat on that one player (or else skip over it), and maybe fire off a complaint to the site if I think he might be scaring the fish.

-Mike

fooz
02-11-2005, 01:09 PM
I definitely keep chat on. It's a game of information of course.

And whenever somebody starts berating a fish, I usually turn on the guy and can often get others to join in. Cheer on the fish without being to obvious.

KKbluff
02-11-2005, 01:18 PM
lol, i love it! encourage their bad play!

r3vbr
02-11-2005, 01:22 PM
I sometimes type with caps lock on something like "[censored] HOW CAN YOU CALL WITH THAT YOU MORON, TERRIBLE TERRIBLE PLAY YOU ARE THE WORST PLAYER IVE EVER SEEN".

I know it's rude, and I know it makes fish stop playing and donationg, but on the upside, it relieves my tension and i feel MUCH better. So I guess doing that is -EV to the poker comunity as a whole but +EV for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

CountDuckula
02-11-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes type with caps lock on something like "[censored] HOW CAN YOU CALL WITH THAT YOU MORON, TERRIBLE TERRIBLE PLAY YOU ARE THE WORST PLAYER IVE EVER SEEN".

I know it's rude, and I know it makes fish stop playing and donationg, but on the upside, it relieves my tension and i feel MUCH better. So I guess doing that is -EV to the poker comunity as a whole but +EV for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that making yourself feel better is more +EV for you than keeping the fish donating?!?

-Mike

MicroBob
02-11-2005, 01:57 PM
my thoughts exactly.

regardless of how much warped satisfaction you might feel I have significant doubts that scaring the fish is +EV.

I always think of the newbies (including senior-citizens, maybe even house-wives, etc) who would be easily scared by that kind of stuff.

I was brand new to poker a couple of years ago...the first time I was called a 'moron' (without any vlgarity) I seriously thought I had done something wrong.
he told me I was playing really crappy hands...since i didn't know there was even such a thing as crappy-hands I decided to try to tighten-up because I was so embarassed that the table-coach called me out and pointed out to the rest of the table what a novice I was.

See the fish..Be the fish. Learn to think like them.

dlk9s
02-11-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had seen this mentioned on 2+2 before, so I decided to give it a go a couple weeks ago.

Two guys started going at it on a table (wait...that just sounds wrong...I mean they started arguing) and it was getting really annoying. So I interject, "I like tacos," to which one responds, "Chicken or beef?" I reply, "Beef mostly, but sometimes I like chicken for a change of pace." Amazingly, they stopped arguing. For five minutes. Then it was on again.

I pulled the tacos line again a few nights later, to which someone replied simply, "Indeed." Then someone else turned it into something inappropriate. Lightened up the table, though, and it turned out to be one of the funniest tables at which I've ever played. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BOTW
02-11-2005, 02:31 PM
I sometimes type with caps lock on something like "[censored] HOW CAN YOU CALL WITH THAT YOU MORON, TERRIBLE TERRIBLE PLAY YOU ARE THE WORST PLAYER IVE EVER SEEN" into the NOTES section. I feel better and don't scare the fish.

Reef
02-11-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not necessarily true. I have little trouble chatting and 4 tabling (and watching TV and 2+2ing)

Reef
02-11-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
agreed...I'm playing 4-tables right now as I type this post.

I could be chatting on a table if I wanted to...but that's kinda boring.

I don't agree with turning off the chat though....if someone is cussing up a storm and whining about their bad-beats or trying to be a table-coach then I want to know about it.

I don't typically chat...but if I do my strategy is to be as ridiculous as possible without really annoying anybody too badly.

if they say to someone "you are a freaking moron!! how can you possibly call with that crap you douche-bag?" I think that pretty much is the same as saying "Hi. That last hand annoyed me so much that I am extremely likely to bleed-away the rest of my chips in a tilt-induced idiotic spree. Feel free to 3-bet my raises to isolate me."

I also have been known to chat in such a way to keep the mood at the table light and fun and silly (re: less serious).
If someone is calling me or someone else a '[censored]-douche-bag-queer-bo-who-doesn't-know-how-to-play-read-a-f'cking-book'

someone once brought up the whole 'geez...why don't you play f'cking BINGO if you're going to play your cards like that?'
so i went into the whole 'I love that song!!' 'B-I-N-G-O and Bingo was his name-oh.'

Anyway, OP asked for some strategies...and those are mine.

Never EVER talk REAL poker at the table.
If someone says "you played T4o you f'cking moron??" don't point out that you were in the big-bling and he's an idiot for not seeing that.
Instead say "Yup!! Ten Four Good Buddy!!"

If someone says "I hope you lose all your money"
then say "thank you. I love you too. Will you go to the prom with me?"

The more confused you can keep the tilters and the more amused you can keep everyone else the better off you'll be.

[/ QUOTE ]

you forgot "gamboooooooooool"

hustalasta
02-11-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you got me with that the other night when you hit trip 7's (edit: actually it was 7's over K's) on the turn to beat my bullets. Of course I got what I deserved when I whined and got a response of "I saw it on TV"... funny stuff now, not at the particular point you raked in my pot /images/graemlins/wink.gif

razor
02-11-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pathetic

Rockfish
02-11-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm with the rest of you that like to keep the mood light and defend the fish a little.

I especially make a point of reminding those who are rude or offensive that just because they are anonymous should not give them license to misbehave.

My favorite is when a player I see making a fair number of mistakes starts berating another player for their poor play. I try to hit them gently where they live and then let them know that I think they're funny.

GrannyMae
02-11-2005, 04:24 PM
player 1: Well then i'm going to go kick his baby in the [censored] face....

heh

nh

TheNoodleMan
02-11-2005, 05:10 PM
last night I took a bad beat on the river, then flopped a set on the next hand. While the action worked its way around to me, I typed several things about what a bad beat it was and got all kinds of action from the table, who thought I was on tilt /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TGoldman
02-11-2005, 05:17 PM
My favorite response as of late...

Player: nh
Me: fy

Chadt74
02-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Personal Fav when table coaches (good or bad)come alive esp after a "how can you play those":

"You can't win if you don't play"

Makes the fish feel better and me look like a fat trout swiming upstream.

MicroBob
02-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Well done.

I'm pretty sure where you saw it before was from me because I don't recall getting the idea from anyone else.

A couple weeks ago I turned the tacos thing into some sort of extended fart-joke sequence.

Fins
02-11-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
... or "It just seemed more fun to call"

... or "pg. 6 from the Gus playbook"

Dead
02-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Lol, I wish I could say it was me, but I only play on Stars as of now. I have never played on Party.

Dead
02-12-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's bad for business. If you ran a retail store and your customers are idiots and buy the wrong stuff would you tell them so? Would you say that they are dumb idiots and should stop stopping at your store entirely? Oh, you wouldn't? Then don't tell the fish to change how they play. Do you really want them to become TAGs? It would be a lot harder to win their money then.

Basically, you want lots of fish at your table and you want to say nice hand to them because it's positive reinforcement of their play. If anyone at the table yells at you for complimenting the fish's play, then just say "any two can win". Other fish at the table watching the chat might loosen up even more.

mrjim
02-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Nothing makes me laugh harder than too see a solid player saying something stupid for the fishes sake.

BlueBear
02-12-2005, 06:12 PM
It's not only rude, not only would it scares the fishies, but it is hopelessly -EV for the community and YOU. The therapeutic value of letting off your steam and anger does NOT compensate for the lost of fishies!

How could it a table full of rocks not making any loose calls possibly be a good thing?

beernutz
02-12-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
... or "It just seemed more fun to call"

... or "pg. 6 from the Gus playbook"

[/ QUOTE ]

"How can you win money from me if I don't make those dumb calls?"

Dead
02-12-2005, 07:09 PM
That might be a little overboard. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you say you make the dumb calls then that might make the fish uncomfortable.

mcozzy1
02-12-2005, 07:20 PM
I've found the most positive use of chat is defending the fish. Just yesterday this guy got really pissed at a fish for calling a pre-flop raise with KJos.......certainly not the worst play you see, but defintely not textbook.

The guy with KJ went on to make 4 kings and beat pocket aces. The guy who lost would not let up on the fish. One verbal assault after the next.

I just leaned into the guy was doing all the criticizing. I had a response for every remark he made to the fish. This took heat off the fish (who couldn't defend himself). The fish wound up liking me. When the loser left, the table was very friendly and loose as can be.

Although, I have to admit, on a 150 BB downswing, I have done my share of fish bashing. I can only take so many 2 and 5 outers hitting before I lose it a bit.

detroitplayer
02-12-2005, 09:48 PM
I've never had any personal experience with attacks on fish actually scaring away fish, and I am curious as to why people take this matter so seriously... as if someone berating another player is going to make them give up poker for life.

Seriously, any time I've seen someone give [censored] to another player who's playing ridiculous cards, the fish seem to never be bothered. "F U DIK HEAD, I GOT UR MONEY LOL", they say... and they keep playing the same terrible cards.

MicroBob
02-12-2005, 10:05 PM
I want the game to be as friendly as possible for more-virgin ears.

I wonder how many women and senior-citizens who might not be as accostomed to such foul-language are turned off by it.

I don't think online-poker needs to stay so dominated by under-30 males. There's plenty of money out there from other demographics for whom the locker-room type talk would make an otherwise enjoyable recreation an entirely unpleasant experience.

I've seen fish and others getting scared away all the time.

Every time one of them busts-out you just never know IF they would have bought-in again if they hadn't been flagged at the table by the coach as being 'the all-time stupidest, f'cking douche-bag' they've ever seen.

In the very least...it makes the game less enjoyable even for those who aren't scared-off by it.

SoftcoreRevolt
02-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Depending on how bored I am I go to various lengths to encourage bad play, or to tilt table coaches.

If I'm not feeling up to 2-3 tabling, I'll just play one and amuse myself in chat. If I lose to a fish who is playing any two chat I'll encourage them with,

"Damn, he's as hard to read as Gus Hansen" just weird stuff that makes them feel really good about their play, but gives me a chuckle.

Usually I stick to "nh" or "damn I got really lucky" when my flush beats their Pair rag kicker, etc. If a table coach berates them I jump to defend them "he can't suck too much if he keeps winning your money" or "he had an ace dude" "he beat me in a pot too, he's pretty good."

Now you are their new target, and every monster you get is getting contested. Even better if it is a small pocket making a set, I've seen table coaches reload to take you on due to your awful awful play with a hand that never ever wins.

Of course when playing in the Something awful goon tournament I go to much stranger lengths to distract people and type in random Bruce Springsteen lyrics for the hell of it.

And talk about how awesome Phil Hellmuth's book is. ALWAYS talk about how awesome that book is

Dead
02-13-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And talk about how awesome Phil Hellmuth's book is. ALWAYS talk about how awesome that book is

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice hand.

emonrad87
02-13-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you're an idiot!

KKbluff
02-13-2005, 02:48 AM
One of my classic favorites to say is "Those Phil Helmuth DVD's sure are working for me!!!"

I like the idea of presenting yourself as a fish who is "educated".

KKbluff
02-13-2005, 03:18 AM
Another strategy i was thinking of...
before the game really gets started, asking if anyone has seen that last episode of TILT/WSOP/WPT/whatever.
I think it can, in alot of situations help identify the weaker or less serious players eary on.

detroitplayer
02-13-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Another strategy i was thinking of...
before the game really gets started, asking if anyone has seen that last episode of TILT/WSOP/WPT/whatever.
I think it can, in alot of situations help identify the weaker or less serious players eary on.

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you use the responses? I would say the fish will quickly say "I saw it1!1!!", and the rocks would probably think the question is retarded and not even bother to reply.

Boltsfan1992
02-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Hiya -

Some of my favorite lines I have used:

Table coach (after losing from KK to novice's wheel straight): "You [insert name, usually vulgar reference to the human anatomy, gender nonspecific] how can you call my raises with that trash!"

Me: "Need a hug? Want some chocolate?"

Coach: "STFU"

Me: "That's gonna leave a mark!"

Another favorite I saw someone else say and I plan on using, "Poker is fun...it is a new game to me."

I don't know why I laughed at that one though. I guess it reminded me of All Your Bases Are Belong to Us...weird I guess..

PB

Boltsfan1992
02-13-2005, 11:04 AM
I wanted to edit my earlier post...but forgot this gem that I WISHED I said...

Player A is whining about bad beats. Then he starts saying something like "Maybe you guys have a large bankroll, but I don't. Bad beats are destroying my bankroll that I need. Maybe if I had unlimited bankroll it would be different."

I wished I would have said, "I got an unlimited bankroll..."

He would have said something like, "No way...no one has that...unless you are staked or something (this was at a $.50/$1.00 table...)

My reply, "Sure...I have an unlimited bankroll...

it's called a job..."

PB

Emperor
02-14-2005, 04:09 AM
"You gotta be in to win"

"Any 2 will do!"

"The trout may pout when I suckout, but what'll they do when they realize its true, I'll play ANY two!"

I love busting the rocks... One day a guy with VPIP of 10% goes off on a fish.. I then tease him about only playing AA, to which he spouts off to me. I then reply, You call too much in the blind. He replies, "How big is your sample?" I reply, "About 8 inches, but that kinda personal don't you think?".... Whole table was giving him heck after that and the Fish continued to be fishy....

Mr Mojo Risin
02-14-2005, 04:58 AM
some guy was yelling at a fish after he pulled a full house outa his ass with a 83o. He was say stuff like 'Dude, wtf? why do you even play that 83o? its [censored]!' you just got to make fish feel good, so i replied 'think what you will, but his 83o raped you in the ass.' He even said after that 'good point.'

gasoltub
02-14-2005, 05:38 AM
I usually say "very nice hand" or "you're good" when I get sucked out by crap hands. And if someone is attacking a fish I say something like "can't win by folding" or "apparently he's playing better than you".

kemystery
02-14-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
whats your favorite line uttered online though? Either after a particularly bad beat or just randomly?

[/ QUOTE ]

some tool kept raising this one guy constantly on the river trying to buy pots unloading checks, and finally the guy (winning all of the pots) types something to the effect of "You do know it's Real money, right?"

Winwood
02-14-2005, 09:22 AM
My favorite line: "So.....who else is drunk?"

lastcoyote
02-14-2005, 09:49 AM
What about when someone starts cussing you out for sucking out on them (or just because you beat them because they suck and don't know it)?

How do you all respond? I usually type "so sad" or "awwww" everytime they lose a pot after that. Real tilt inducer and it encourages a fat re-buy when they lose their stack.

Eventually it turns into a real insult fest which makes it fun for me every once in a while. My wife thinks it hilarious, too.

If someone starts berating the fish I usually just type "stfu" to get them to turn their attention my way.

andrew26
02-14-2005, 10:20 AM
My all-purpose response to a table coach:

"no lessons please."

Takes the heat off the fishes and onto me. I can handle it.

KKbluff
02-14-2005, 10:45 AM
lol

PotatoStew
02-14-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Personal Fav when table coaches (good or bad)come alive esp after a "how can you play those":

"You can't win if you don't play"

Makes the fish feel better and me look like a fat trout swiming upstream.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use that one all the time. I think it's the tagline from an old lotto commercial, appropriately enough.

DrPhysic
02-14-2005, 11:44 AM
I was playing lhe ring on UB Sat night. One really good player, one fish probably at least 80% VPIP. Good player got on his case for a while for playing so stupidly. I typed in, "please don't tap on the glass."
He got it instantly, laughed, fish didn't get it.

Doc

Dead
02-14-2005, 05:10 PM
I think people who berate fish should have their chat revoked for a good amount of time.

It totally tightens the table up and it sucks a lot. Then all you do is trade money back and forth with whatever TAGs are at the table.

It would be good for the site's revenue as well. They make more money off fish.

KKbluff
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Ive noticed a great way (at least in my experiences recently) to help increase the percentage of bluffs that i can successfuly pull off. During the first few minutes i really wont say anything until i notice that someone either
wins a big pot with a great hand (i then say, something like WOW, NH, GREAT HAND or something to that effect)
OR
After i observe a big won with a weak hand (i will saying something like "who plays with garbage like that")

After doing this occasionally over a half hour or so, i will then begin occasionally bluffing big on higher flops. Usually people by this time have put me as a conservative player or a mouse so i can steal a few more pots than normally could get away with usually could.

This obiously doesnt work if youve been caught with a big bluff previously by someone, but in my experience it has given me a ever so slight edge and i will take every edge i can get.

Let me know if this has worked for anyone else!

Drewboy22
02-25-2005, 05:04 PM
This happened the other night at Party 2/4.

Table Coach; Ok everybody should really be playing any pocket pair to the flop in this game.

me: thanks, coach.

Table Coach; stop bein a smart azz...some people may not know how to play

I proceed to catch pocket 3's on the next hand, call in late positon to his PF raise. needless to say I make my set on the flop, check raise him then bet out the rest of the way to win.

me: thanks for giving me advice to beat you with....any other tips????

Table Coach leaves

LOL