PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Racial Situation

Dan Rutter
02-11-2005, 01:27 AM
I have thought how people would react to this situation before, but I decided to post it to see how others think they, or other people would react. Also, today in my civil liberties class we had a large disscusion about racisim, and it got me thinking about this. Basically one kid in the class was trying to argue that if someone is racist, and thinks racist thoughts they should be punished, because the harm it does to society. Just thinking a thought, not acting on it at all. So I started to think of racial situations that would likely never occur, but people could maybe think how they would react. I really do not think anyone can know how they would deal with this situation 100% of the time, but the thoughts on the issue should be interesting. If someone else has used a similar situation before, sorry.

So here's the situation I will describe it the best I can. I do not know the exact times some of this stuff would take to occur, so please do not be technical, just think of the situation.

You are by yourself walking by a lake, no one else is near, it is daytime, you have no cell phone, or other communication device. A car suddenly ends up going into the lake. You decide to jump into the lake and attempt to help with a rescue (if you wouldn't help you don't have to worry about the situation). The car is sinking and there are three people in the car. Person number one is the same race as you, the other two people are of different races, but not the same race as yourself or person number one. You realize that you can only save one person, the other two will drown once you swim back to the vehicle from shore. All three people have their hand reaching for help, and in this hypothetical situation all three have a 100% chance of living if help them, but will die 100% of the time if you save one of the other two. All three require the same amount of time, and effort to save. None of the three has a problem that makes that person more or less difficult to save then the other two. They all have the same level of difficulty to save. You will live no matter who you save. No one outside of this situation will know why you choose the person you did, or if any circumstances caused you not to save one of the other two. Would you save the person of your race, or one of the two people not of your race?

istewart
02-11-2005, 01:32 AM
Everyone's racist in some way, IMHO. But I wouldn't really discriminate at all in that situation.

I might ask each of them if they had sickle-cell disease and go by that /images/graemlins/wink.gif

tbach24
02-11-2005, 01:34 AM
I wonder if pokerstars would let me borrow their RNG?

M2d
02-11-2005, 01:41 AM
I save the chick with the nicest rack

Drac
02-11-2005, 02:01 AM
Society has taught me to save the kid first, the woman next and the guy last. If they're all guys I just help whichever I'm closest too unless he's clearly advanced in age and I KNOW that the others can't get out without my help. Then I let the older guy go down and take the one next closest to me.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-11-2005, 02:04 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/needpics.gif

andyfox
02-11-2005, 02:11 AM
I think that's be what I'd do: the youngest first, regardless of sex or race.

AncientPC
02-11-2005, 02:44 AM
Everyone's a racist, it just depends on how open you are about it and whether or not you act upon those thoughts.

About the drowning people thing, youngest first.

jesusarenque
02-11-2005, 02:49 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
Everyone's a racist, it just depends on how open you are about it and whether or not you act upon those thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true.

istewart
02-11-2005, 02:52 AM
Definitely true.

emonrad87
02-11-2005, 02:55 AM
If they were females, then definately the hottest one. If they were all males then, yea, I'd probly go for my race.

jesusarenque
02-11-2005, 03:01 AM
Definitely true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Definitely? So you are saying there is no such thing as a non-racist person? What an ignorant statement.

AncientPC
02-11-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep convincing yourself otherwise.

You have stereotyped someone based on their race whether or not you conciously do it.

jesusarenque
02-11-2005, 03:04 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep believing that everything and everyone in the world is exactly like what you see in your immediate environment.
Not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep convincing yourself otherwise.

You have stereotyped someone based on their race whether or not you conciously do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

istewart
02-11-2005, 03:08 AM
I don't think everyone is destined to become a Grand Wizard of the KKK.

I think that everyone has general concepts (quite often negative) about each respective race and culture in his/her head, and uses these when making decisions.

I think you're quite ignorant yourself if you think there are people who look at everyone as equal with no differences inherent to race.

jesusarenque
02-11-2005, 03:09 AM

I think you're quite ignorant yourself if you think there are people who look at everyone as equal with no differences inherent to race.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't "think" this. I know people who "look at everyone as equal with no differences inherent to race."

emonrad87
02-11-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't "think" this. I know people who "look at everyone as equal with no differences inherent to race."

[/ QUOTE ]

No. There aren't.

jesusarenque
02-11-2005, 03:13 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. There aren't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong.

istewart
02-11-2005, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There clearly aren't. Anyone who says he does is lying.

jesusarenque
02-11-2005, 03:14 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There clearly aren't. Anyone who says he does is lying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

emonrad87
02-11-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you?

istewart
02-11-2005, 03:17 AM
I think the proof is on you. What are these people like? Are they living in the Truman Show?

ilya
02-11-2005, 03:17 AM
I would save the youngest and/or best-looking.

jesusarenque
02-11-2005, 03:18 AM

Prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did prove it. I said I knew someone who was in no way racist.

Dantes
02-11-2005, 03:19 AM
I would rescue the azn because he probably weighs the least.

istewart
I think it's pretty -EV personally to try to lead a utterly non-racist life, in these times.

ilya
[ QUOTE ]
I think the proof is on you. What are these people like? Are they living in the Truman Show?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's just talking about civilized people. You wouldn't understand.

istewart
02-11-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's you that doesn't understand the definition of "racism."

emonrad87
02-11-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 10BB/100 win rate. Did i just prove it by saying it?

jesusarenque
02-11-2005, 03:21 AM

Prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 10BB/100 win rate. Did i just prove it by saying it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you like me to post a picture of him?

emonrad87
02-11-2005, 03:22 AM
How the hell would a pic prove it?

istewart
02-11-2005, 03:22 AM
Feel free to google images of Martin Luther King, Jr.

ilya
02-11-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the reason you guys are having this screaming match is because you're defining "racism" differently. If we define racism as the belief that one race is superior to others and deserving of greater moral consideration, then I hope we can agree that not everyone is a racist.
If we call anyone who's ever thought that black people are better athletes a racist, well, yeah, then we're probably gonna have a hard time finding (m)any non-racists.

ilya
02-11-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's you that doesn't understand the definition of "racism."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that comment. Please see my other post.

jesusarenque
02-11-2005, 03:24 AM
How the hell would a pic prove it?

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that I can't "prove" to you that someone else isn't racist. Go live with him for ten years. Perhaps that would convince you.

istewart
02-11-2005, 03:25 AM
This is my point. I'm not saying it's good nor bad, although it's primarily bad, but it's there. The same woman that pledges to vote for equal rights and all the jazz tries her hardest to avoid walking by groups of black guys.

AncientPC
02-11-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. There aren't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, and you don't think about blacks when using the word niggardly (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=1701139&amp;Fo rum=,All_Forums,&amp;Words=&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Main =1698278&amp;Search=true&amp;where=&amp;Name=19902&amp;daterange=&amp; newerval=&amp;newertype=&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp;bodyprev =#Post1701139).

[ QUOTE ]
If we call anyone who's ever thought that black people are better athletes a racist, well, yeah, then we're probably gonna have a hard time finding (m)any non-racists.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Merrian-Webster:
Main Entry: rac·ism
Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&amp;m also -"shi-
Function: noun
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

jesusarenque
02-11-2005, 03:26 AM
This is my point. I'm not saying it's good nor bad, although it's primarily bad, but it's there. The same woman that pledges to vote for equal rights and all the jazz tries her hardest to avoid walking by groups of black guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, just because that woman is racist doesn't mean everyone is. It certainly doesn't mean that non-racist people don't exist.

housenuts
02-11-2005, 03:27 AM
i probably wouldn't save the driver. he would have the hardest time living with himself if his two friends died because of him. so it would be between the other two. i would probably take the guy in shotgun because he is likelier to be cooler than the guy riding bitch in the back.

istewart
02-11-2005, 03:28 AM
Look at this country for crying out loud. In elections it's always important to get the Spanish vote, the black vote, the Middle Eastern vote. Not surprisingly, different things have to be done to garner these votes. Don't you think there's reason for this?

jesusarenque
02-11-2005, 03:30 AM
Look at this country for crying out loud. In elections it's always important to get the Spanish vote, the black vote, the Middle Eastern vote. Not surprisingly, different things have to be done to garner these votes. Don't you think there's reason for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there is a reason for this. It doesn't mean, however, that there is no such thing as a non-racist person. Also, there are other country other than the United States.

ilya
02-11-2005, 03:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i probably wouldn't save the driver. he would have the hardest time living with himself if his two friends died because of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

aww, come on. it's only in the movies that people can't get over [censored] like that. he'll have a rough couple of weeks, then he'll be good as new.

Shajen
02-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Basically what you have here is your classic3 dead guys scenario.

Guy #1, the driver, is probably unconscious from hitting his head on the steering wheel, so [censored] him, especially because it's his shitty driving that got them there in the first place. Guy number 2 (shotgun) is out, because as we all know from watching movies, his seatbelt will get stuck and the door won't open. So he's dead too. Which leaves guy number 3. He's in the back seat, his seatbelt is off, he's breaking the glass to get out....but he's dead too. I can't swim good enough to have a average height/weight guy clinging to me. Sorry fellas, you're [censored].

natedogg
02-11-2005, 11:13 AM
"Basically one kid in the class was trying to argue that if someone is racist, and thinks racist thoughts they should be punished, because the harm it does to society. Just thinking a thought, not acting on it at all."

It's almost as if he had never even heard of the book 1984.

natedogg

Dan Rutter
02-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Lets pretend you can not distingush any age difference at the time, your only judgement, and really the only thing you know about each person is the differences in their race.