PDA

View Full Version : Satellite To The Satellite-Monte Carlo-European Poker Tour

grandgnu
02-11-2005, 01:04 AM
So I entered a 173-player 60FPP tourney on PokerStars tonight.

Wound up finishing 10th, one spot from the final table (same as finishing 173rd, only the top 2 move on to a 6000FPP buy-in event where the top 2 there get prize packages worth over 15K for the main event of the EPT)

So anyway, I've been short-stacked the whole time I'm in the final 20 players, but hanging on and making my plays when I can. Chip leader of the tourney is at my table with close to 70K. I had 2,800, of which 800 is currently in the BB. He is in the SB.

One late position caller limps, the chip leader completes to 800 and I just checked. In hindsight, I should have pushed, facing two limpers and holding K/9 as the short-stack.

Being so close to the final table, with a real need to do a hell of a lot more than double up if I wanted a shot at the final 2, I figured by just checking I didn't have to commit myself to the hand, and might get a better opportunity with more callers (i.e. higher pot) if the flop didn't go my way.

Flop was 6/6/2 and everyone checked. Turn was a K and I was all-in. Both players called, one holding K/5 suited, and the chip leader holding......the dreaded 6/3 offsuit.

Given his enormous chip lead, even if I had pushed pre-flop it's quite possible he would have called just another 2K to try and eliminate me.

What does everyone else think? If I had pushed and he folded, I would've wound up winning the hand. Instead of I was out-flopped and eliminated.

Average stack was well over 22K, so I needed to triple up a few times to get back into it. What does everyone else think about this hand. Is it a good idea to just check and allow yourself an out for at least one or two more hands, or should this have been an easy push given the two limpers? (again, one having 70K in chips, the other I believe had a good 25-30K)