PDA

View Full Version : Clicking Quickly on PTY Buttons Doesn't Work

TomBrooks
02-11-2005, 12:49 AM
On Party and Empire, when I click on an action button (i.e. Fold, Call, Raise etc. button) and release the mouse clicker quickly, the action does not 'take.' In order to make it take I have to hold the mouse button down for a little while. Not a long time, but a perceptible pause before releasing. I find this slows me down and is somewhat annoying.

Does anyone else consider this a problem or a less than optimal situation?

-TomBk

edfurlong
02-11-2005, 05:01 AM
Its to prevent people from making missclicks if they have overlap, but I would sell my soul for an option to turn it off. I'd also like to turn off the annoying bring the window to the front when its your turn to act.

yawak
02-11-2005, 06:05 AM
It's a real pain in the ... when multitabling.

TomBrooks
03-11-2005, 01:04 AM
Well, at least it's just not me that this bothers. I was wondering. =Tom

Douper
03-11-2005, 02:41 AM
get TweakUI @ Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx)

under mouse settings->x mouse check the first box.

whatever window your mouse is over is active, no more party annoyances

Although this makes using the search players function a tad tougher, but I'll leave that as an exercise to the reader /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Douper
03-11-2005, 02:43 AM
oh and if you really want to get tricky, try a no mouse setup

keyboard shortcuts for party @ onlinepokerfaq (http://www.onlinepokerfaq.com/guide/mouseless-poker.html)

Petro
03-11-2005, 02:45 AM
Here's the key if you're multi-tabling: Click anywhere in the party window EXCEPT for the button. Then click the button. When you're switching between windows you can get a good rhythm going once you get the double tap down.

StellarWind
03-11-2005, 01:26 PM
My perception is that the problem occurs when you click a button very soon after the window is brought to the front or very soon after the options change. I often click a button as many as three times in rapid succession before it works.

It seems to be protecting against accidentally clicking a button that just appeared. Unfortunately it isn't reliable for some reason. In particular you need to be very careful that check-in-turn doesn't become call-in-turn just as you click.

One of the silliest manifestations occurs when you click fold-in-turn after someone bets. This can fail if another player raises in front of you at the instant you click. I guess this protects you in case you might want to call two bets but not one /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Anyway I hate the way the buttons work but I am not sure I'd actually like having it fixed. Unlike many things about Party software that are clearly wrong, it is genuinely difficult to say what the best way is for the buttons to work.

Shoe
03-11-2005, 01:29 PM
This alone causes me more frustration than bad beats.

cjhellm
03-11-2005, 01:38 PM
The key is that after you click on a window to activate it, you have to move your mouse, then click the button. You only have to move it one pixel, then your click will activate a button.

CORed
03-11-2005, 01:53 PM
I think this is actually a desirable feature as it helps prevent misclicks.

moondogg
03-11-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is actually a desirable feature as it helps prevent misclicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'm just in the habit now of triple-clicking so I don't even really notice it, but it definitely has prevented some costly misclicks.

On two tables it can be a pain, on six tables it's required (IMHO)

CORed
03-11-2005, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't mind if Party's software did just bring the window to the front when it's my turn to act, but it also brings the window to the front when the betting round starts, even if it is already my turn to act on another table. Paradise's software doesn't bring the table to the front until it is actually my turn to act, which, IMO, is a much better way to do it.

CORed
03-11-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately it isn't reliable for some reason. In particular you need to be very careful that check-in-turn doesn't become call-in-turn just as you click.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real problem is the three column button layout. When somebody bets, the check button becomes the call button,etc. There is room for a five button layout. If the positions of the fold, check,call, bet and raise buttons (and the corresponding checkboxes for preselecting) were fixed, and the buttons that are not applicable disappeared or were disabled, it would be a much better design, IMO.