PDA

View Full Version : $10 PS, gamble it up?

autiger57
02-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Blinds are 25/50, I have T1800, the other player in question has T1150 and is the table short stack. There are 8 players left, no one has a particularly big or small stack, all stacks are between 1150-1950, with the distribution slightly weighted toward the bigger stacks. Play has been fairly tight and there hasn't really been any big pots (the one person eliminated got knocked out in chunks).

I am in the small blind and have JT suited. The short stack in MP pushes all in. Folded around to me. If I can somehow put MP on a small or middle pair, is a call correct here? Running JT suited vs. 77 on twodimes, the odds come up within decimals of being 50-50.

Results-oriented caveat: I did make this play, and I did make the correct read (the opponent had 88), but I didn't get any help. I kinda do and kinda don't regret making the call. On the one hand, I could have saved my chips for a better spot. On the other hand, this table was hard to get any action on, and I felt if I could get a chunk of chips, it makes me a bigger favorite to at least cash, if not win.

ferb
02-10-2005, 10:38 PM
fold. fold. fold. way to early to be taking on at best a coin flip.

JoeTable
02-10-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I can somehow put MP on a small or middle pair, is a call correct here? Running JT suited vs. 77 on twodimes, the odds come up within decimals of being 50-50.
the call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow? How do you do that? Wishing a player has a particular hand is not a particularly savvy way to play poker. These are the sort of thought processes that develop in players after watching Gus Hanson call an all in with 8Ts.

autiger57
02-10-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
If I can somehow put MP on a small or middle pair, is a call correct here? Running JT suited vs. 77 on twodimes, the odds come up within decimals of being 50-50.
the call.

Somehow? How do you do that? Wishing a player has a particular hand is not a particularly savvy way to play poker. These are the sort of thought processes that develop in players after watching Gus Hanson call an all in with 8Ts.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason I considered it at all was because it was such a weird play in relation to how this player had been playing before. It was as though they didn't want to play a pot, just take the blinds. Granted, I've seen players do this with AA and KK, but this player had already slowplayed AA, so I didn't think this would be something they'd do with a big pair. They played like they didn't want any action at all.

Granted, I do see your point, and I likely won't make this play in the future. I wouldn't have made it at all if it wasn't a $10 SnG and I was in a double-up or else frame of mind. Well, maybe a $5 SnG, too.